Thread: front trackbar bracket

1. #1 front trackbar bracket 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Jeep Whore's Avatar
    alright recently i've had some noise coming from my TB bracket (i have an RE 1600 TB ), i would turn right at speed i.e. going on an on ramp. (stock at the time) and i would get a creaking noise. so i tightened up the bracket bolts and the Tb bolt itself noise went away for a day or 2. then i replaced the bracket with iron man andy's TB bracket now i installed it didn't make much of a difference still had the noise only over time it does it more frequent on any right hand turn at speed. gave andy a call he suggested doing a brace and tacking it on and i asked about the bolt behind it. he said drill it out for that bolt.

so as it sits now i have the hole for that extra bolt drilled out and it is adding to holding the bracket, i have tacked the bracket on in about 10 spots. i have checked all the other suspension related bolts and they are all tight. i did red lock tight on all the TB bracket bolts. and i installed a steering box brace

so my question is do i plate the unibody there? or put a brace on it? do i need to fully burn in the bracket? or all 3 and be done with it.

if i do plate it where exactly would i plate it? the same side of as the bracket? the back side? i went to go look and see where those bolts come through and if i remember correctly that the I6 motor mount brackets are different then the V8 motor mount brackets.

thanks,
    -James
    _______.00000. << ---Mine------____.____.
    //_|__l__,\____\,___---Dads>> /l __,[____],_
    l_--\__\__l---\[]llllll[]| -----------l--|_|-L-OllllllllO-
    (o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ----------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    Glws = good looking wagon sir

2. #2 Re: front trackbar bracket 
    Have you checked the axle side bolt hole for any wallowing?
    4.5" front custom 3-link, dual triangulated 4 link, 35s, custom front bumper. upcoming: custom belly skid, rear bumper, rocker cutout/boatsides, half doors

3. #3 Re: front trackbar bracket 
    yes i have already up drilled it and replaced it, but i can always take it out and double check it.

4. #4 Re: front trackbar bracket 
    i took a video of my tb bracket and you can hear the noise but you may have to crank the volume up a bit. i'm thinking of doing a brace for now. my thoughts are using 1/2" rod ends (or using 5/8") on each side and using this to mount the bracket on the opposite side, i may jsut have to double check the length of the measurements they have so i know it will clear the oil pan after i put the bends in.
    http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...g/PAN-OUT.html

since i don't have access to a tube bender would a smaller size of sq tube work since i can bend that a lot easier then tubing. i would cut a v into the tube and weld back together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a25H5...ature=youtu.be

5. #5 Re: front trackbar bracket 
    How healthy is the steering box itself? I'm about to replace mine due to noises and too much play.
    96 4.0 ZJ, 4.5in RE coils with Teraflex arms, Yukon gears, ARB front bumper, 33x12.50 M/TR's, homemade OBA setup....

97 with stuff....

6. #6 Re: front trackbar bracket 
    the steering box replaced 4-5 years ago and it is solid plus i have a and but on the steering box brace from FortCollinsZJ and that made no difference in the noise.

tomorrow i am going to throw a ratchet strap on the bracket and to the opposite motor mount and tension is go around the block and see if the noise is reduced if so i will move on with my plans for the brace.

7. #7 Re: front trackbar bracket 
    How tight do the joints feel in the trac bar? It seems like you know your stuff, just trying to help brainstorm for something easy you might've overlooked.
    4.5" front custom 3-link, dual triangulated 4 link, 35s, custom front bumper. upcoming: custom belly skid, rear bumper, rocker cutout/boatsides, half doors

8. #8 Re: front trackbar bracket 
    Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    How tight do the joints feel in the trac bar? It seems like you know your stuff, just trying to help brainstorm for something easy you might've overlooked.
    well i got the trackbar used from a buddy and idk how long he had it on but it has only been on my jeep <6 months so i would say they are all still good but just so i know how can you tell when i heim is bad, because i haven't worked with heims enough to know when one of them needs replaced.

so i went to use the ratchet strap test and that didn't make a damn bit of difference so for shits and giggles i went off Dyn0mitemat's suggestion and oiled the joints. i just sprayed some wd40 on the poly bushing and the hiem and the noise is gone. idk either to be pissed becasue it was so easy and in front of my face or to be glad it was so simple to fix.

so if it pops up again i'll do 1 joint at time to see where the true issue is.

thanks for the help guys!

9. #9 Re: front trackbar bracket 
    If wd40 quieted it down then my guess is the heim is starting to go. If you unbolt it and the ball has any wiggle room then its obviously bad and will make a popping noise.

10. #10 Re: front trackbar bracket 
    Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    If wd40 quieted it down then my guess is the heim is starting to go. If you unbolt it and the ball has any wiggle room then its obviously bad and will make a popping noise.
    alright i'll keep an eye on it, i have some spare 3/4 hiems laying around. it had a popping noise at one point that as soon as we tightened the bolt for that when it was on the factory bracket it went away.

11. #11 Re: front trackbar bracket 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    What did you take the video with?

Also grabthe heim end and try to move, if it does it bad. Been doing that with most my joints (johnny, heim, rubber... any type) and found several bad now. Need to test them yearly I think.
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
    “The great object is that every man be armed.” -Patrick Henry

12. #12 Re: front trackbar bracket 
    It ended up being the hiem I got a replacement from ruffstuff. I took that video with a gopro hero 2 I had it mounted on the swaybar but since the disconnects aren't 100% secure it probablt moved enough to make me think it was the bracket.

sent from my phone.

Thread Information