Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

"The stroller": family wj build - Page 5

Thread: "The stroller": family wj build

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. #101 Re: "The stroller": family wj build 
    Yea and the K in MTR/K is for kevlar which is supposed to be puncture resistant. Guess not.

Stitching and patching would probably work. I think I will use my bald 39.5 on an aluminum wheel though to save some weight. Im not really crazy about the idea of carrying a spare.

2. #102 Re: "The stroller": family wj build 
    I like that patch job.

Question, why a reverse 4 link? I come from a street truck/car background and those were always a no-go in that realm.
    93zj build. 4.0 aw4, 231, 60s, and 37s. Some cutting and some welding.

3. #103 Re: "The stroller": family wj build 
    Mostly to make room to lower it more. If I did a standard tri-4 with the triangle point at the axle I would need a truss on top of my 14 bolt wich would be fine if I didn't need to keep my gas tank where it is. I didn't think it would make to much of a difference but now you have me wanting to re-research. What would be the down side?

4. #104 Re: "The stroller": family wj build 
    The geometry makes it so you are pulling the rear instead of pushing it forward if i remember right. I have seen a bunch of weird setups but most were for the track or bagged trucks. Alot of great concepts like a watts link are all but unuseable on a wheeled rig. I'm no guru though so look into it more.

It would also kill departure angle.

Just to be clear were talking about links behind the axle like this

Last edited by bentwrench; 03-11-2015 at 12:22 AM.

5. #105 Re: "The stroller": family wj build 
    Ok, I get what your talking about. Probably a more true reverse, I can see how that would cause a problem.
    Here's a link to what I ordered, I'm interested to see what you or others think about it because I havnt seen it used much, but don't see why it would be much different since your still getting your triangulation just from different points.
    http://www.chassisunlimited.com/prod...ion-kit-c.html

6. #106 Re: "The stroller": family wj build 
    According to what i have read that is a good setup but you will have more body roll on the street. The upside is that its better in go fast areas and will move the body less during flex. However im not the smartest guy in the room and maybe someone more in the know will come in.

This was a good thread for basic ideas http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...s-dummies.html

7. #107 Re: "The stroller": family wj build 
    Thanks for the link bentwrench, It looks like it will work fine I just need to set it up according to my preference. I will also put my anti-rock in the rear with the 4-link, that should help. Leafs are so much simpler, not sure it's gonna be worth the change.

8. #108 "The stroller": family wj build 
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wjguy; 03-15-2015 at 04:58 AM.
    stuff welded and bolted to a wagon

9. #109 Re: "The stroller": family wj build 
    I got my ORI struts in so its time to start re-building.

I got it into a friends shop and started stripping everything.

10. #110 Re: "The stroller": family wj build 
    One of the first things we did was cut the top of the truss and upper link mounts off so the axle will have more room before contacting the oil pan.

I cut it up flipped it over and welded it back on.

11. #111 Re: "The stroller": family wj build 
    To get my axle centered where I wanted it I had to find a forward facing steering box, so I got a JK box that looks very similar so I thought it would be as easy as drilling a few new holes and making some structural reinforcements.

I was wrong, we spent all day making changes to make it work. I forgot to take pictures of the finished product but you can probably see where its going.

Cut it and plated so we could get the box exactly where we want it without worrying about it contacting anything from engine torque.

12. #112 Re: "The stroller": family wj build 
    This is almost full bump height, it should be about an inch or 2 lower by tomorrow, hopefully.

Ride height should be pretty damn close to this, hopefully an inch or 2 lower too. I think its at about a 6-7 inch lift and the axle is probably 7" forward from stock.

We got the lower links on but when we tried to find a spot for the upper link we failed, with the height i want. So we are going to try a y-link radius arm setup.

13. #113 Re: "The stroller": family wj build 
    Replated the steering box frame area. And tapped the JK box for hydro assist.

14. #114 Re: "The stroller": family wj build 
    Heres a full shot of the frame plating. Its not done yet but getting there.

Here is where the pitman arm lines up now.

15. #115 Re: "The stroller": family wj build 
    This is full bump. And a pic of where the struts are gonna have to go through the engine bay were the air box used to be.

16. #116 Re: "The stroller": family wj build 
    I got some more done today, its the last day I have to use the shop so its back to my driveway tomorrow. I got the bulk of the steering in place, the track bar and suspension partially designed.

17. #117 Re: "The stroller": family wj build 

18. #118 Re: "The stroller": family wj build 
    And tested for any binding or contact. I need to trim more off the fenders and inner fenders.

19. #119 Re: "The stroller": family wj build 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner K2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CRJEeP_wj View Post
    And tested for any binding or contact. I need to trim more off the fenders and inner fenders.
    Is the radiator designed to tilt with the axle?

Great fab btw!
    02 WJ, Lift, dents, noise and smoke.

20. #120 Re: "The stroller": family wj build 
    Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    Is the radiator designed to tilt with the axle?

Great fab btw!
    Oh yea. thats custom. Thanks

I pulled it out of the shop but didn't have time to mount the struts. Me planked it up close to what ride height should be and parked it until i have time to finish it.

Heres previous height.

21. #121 Re: "The stroller": family wj build 
    Looks great man. I kinda wish i would have done the single sided radius arm setup. I would be done with my front axle by now.

Whats the overall drop? Looks like about 4 inches?

Also i love how well your cage flows.

22. #122 Re: "The stroller": family wj build 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    I love the fact that some people are putting time and effort to a lower cog and bigger tires and understanding that you are only as high as your lowest point! People always ask first "so how much lift do you run?" And when I tell them about 4" they say "wow and you can clear 37s?
    Loving this build btw!
    Grand slam west ready?
    "ZJ's were designed with the intention to take 1 really good hit, and fold up. As long as the occupants walked away, it was a success. In the wheeling world, we expect our vehicles to take multiple really good hits, drive out of it, and run the obstacle again!"

23. #123 Re: "The stroller": family wj build 
    Wrench, thanks. I think the overall drop is about 6.5". I wanted a 3-link and think it would be better but I couldn't find a way without re routing my exhaust or raising the ride height 3-4 inches, I also had to get my junk off the rack by Monday morning. I feel that the radius arm will work out even if I have to make some changes here and there to get it exactly how I want. But it's definately quick and easy to fab up and burn in.

Thanks stealth zj.
    Last edited by CRJEeP_wj; 04-21-2015 at 10:32 PM.

24. #124 Re: "The stroller": family wj build 
    I got a little more done today. It was sitting on its own weight by the end of the day. Charged the struts, but still need to bleed them and set for ride height. I have some welding and putting crap back together to do then I can drive it around and make sure everything is gonna work out before I start up on the back.

25. #125 Re: "The stroller": family wj build 
    I think I finished welding everything today. I finished the radius arm mount.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Thread Information