Thread: Not all XJ pedals work for a manual swap....

1. #1 Not all XJ pedals work for a manual swap.... 
    I'm most of the way through swapping in an AX15 in my '96 V8 Grand, ran into a bit of a snag that I hadn't seen mentioned in any of the swap threads that I've seen.

Was working on the pedals today, and was intending on modifying an XJ pedal setup like several others had done, by bending up the top of the bracket to fit. Got it all installed, and found that the XJ bracket has too small of a relief formed to accept the snout of the brake booster. The diameter on the XJ pedals was roughly 2.25", while my ZJ bracket is roughly 2.5". It's enough to keep the booster from fully seating on the firewall, and when I pulled it back out to see WTF was going on, I also noticed that the pivot hole is drilled about an inch further forward on the XJ bracket, which I think has been mentioned.

My solution was just to cut off the clutch part of the bracket off the XJ bracket, and weld it to the ZJ bracket. Still have to modify the top of the bracket, but seems to fit well. I also used the XJ pedals in the ZJ, and the spacing seems to be good next to the gas pedal. May need to add a tab to hit the brake light switch, but I think I can just bend the switch mount to work.

2. #2 Re: Not all XJ pedals work for a manual swap.... 
    What year XJ are your pedals from? That might help others doing this swap in the future.

3. #3 Re: Not all XJ pedals work for a manual swap.... 
    I'm not sure...I _think_ they came out of a '94 4.0...I was pulling parts from several XJs for various projects, but honestly, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention as I figured XJ pedals were XJ pedals, at least from '84-'96. I had read a few reports of people with '97+ pedals bolting right in to a ZJ without modification, but I've never seen a '97+ XJ in the pick a part yards down here.

I was just looking at brake boosters for a '94 XJ on Rock Auto, and saw that there are different are different boosters for ABS vs non-ABS XJs, with the most obvious difference being a different actuator rod - ABS booster has a straight rod, non-ABS has the rod that curves down a bit. It may be that the snout on the two are different sizes as well, which could be a quick visual identifier as you're wandering through the yards.

Thread Information