Thread: Took apart my broken RCV....

1. #1 Took apart my broken RCV.... 
    And found that it probably wasn't a strength issue that broke it, but rather lack of spline engagement between the stub shaft splines and the joint that goes into the bell. I assume these were installed properly as the snap ring for the hub went onto the shaft just fine and it all went together smoothly. I'm concerned that i may have an issue with the length of my axle not being correct, as it is a highly bastardized 44...granted it was re-tubed by currie, I'm wondering if the mix and match of tubes, knuckles, and spindles threw something off, however, i never had an issue running warn shafts in the same lengths for several years.
    I'm also curious why the d44 rcv's are splines together instead of machined from billet like their unimog shafts are...at least welded maybe?
    I will send them pics tomorrow and see what they have to say. After meeting the workers/owners of RCV, I feel fairly confident that they will help me resolve this issue.
    -Ron-
    Attached Images   
    1993 Trashcan, 7/8 Ton, 37's

Some people play golf, others enjoy football...I just really like fucking with people.

Vote REPUBLICAN.......because EVERYONE can't be on WELFARE!!!

Sounds like the wrong length shaft for the application. Welding to it will compromise the heat treat.

Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    Sounds like the wrong length shaft for the application. Welding to it will compromise the heat treat.
    Lol, obviously they'd have to be welded prior to bring heat treated, just like a yoke on a hardened shaft, but apparently RCV has a viable solution of "pinning" the two splined pieces together with dowels. I spoke with Kraig from RCV today, and he said this sort of break isn't common, but has happened before. The D44 RCV's are supplied to the customer in pieces because they have to be assembled in the knuckle on some Chevy knuckles because the assembled shaft is too large to fit through.
    So Kraig told me to send him both the driver and passenger shafts and he will pin them both and obviously replace the broken one. Then I can install the fully pre-assembled shafts and find out if they're the correct length or not for my axle. When I had the shafts assembled prior to installation, the were exactly the same length as my Warns/ox's.
    We'll see...at least they're taking care of it with no trouble.
    1993 Trashcan, 7/8 Ton, 37's

Some people play golf, others enjoy football...I just really like fucking with people.

Vote REPUBLICAN.......because EVERYONE can't be on WELFARE!!!

4. #4 Re: Took apart my broken RCV.... 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    Curious to see the replacement parts and how RCV "pins" the shafts together. Hope you get it sorted out soon.
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

I want to see it too. Post pics when you get them back if you can.

6. #6 Re: Took apart my broken RCV.... 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    Get it back from RCV yet?
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

Thread Information