Thread: GSW 2013 Carnage Report

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 GSW 2013 Carnage Report 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    I found a couple new cracks in the unibody under the passenger tail light and then lost a/c on the tow rig on the way back home. Hopefully the a/c isn't anything too major, and luckily it didn't go out until going up Eisenhower so we weren't in the heat too long.

2. #2 Re: GSW 2013 Carnage Report 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    For I think the 7th or 8th straight year, I have bent my drag link end at the pitman arm.

The last time I replaced it, I plated the edge of the end where it bends (and had bent in the past). This time it bent right at the threads (at a straight section).

I'll try a higher quality end since the rockauto ones don't seem to work for more than 51 weeks at a time.

Otherwise, Jeep performed flawlessly. After 3 years w/o doing anything other than fluids, I think it is time to strip down the front end and inspect/clean everything and finally track down my elusive oil leak that only shows up on the trip to/from Moab (long highway drives).
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

3. #3 Re: GSW 2013 Carnage Report 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    I put a crease in my passenger rear door on Kane Creek. Not to big, but its there. Otherwise no carnage. Honestly though I intentially took it easy this year.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

4. #4 Re: GSW 2013 Carnage Report 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    Wednesday: I-70 to Moab - lost my T-case in the afternoon, picked up by Ron (Thanks!), repaired in the Red Stone parking lot. Big thanks to Ted, Tyler, Greg and Tom.

Thursday: Cliff Hanger - uneventful

Friday: Golden Spike - broke a D44 stub shaft (passenger side), which then took out the hub, after crossing the Crack on the far right side. Swapped out the shaft that night with Ted's schooling.

Sat: Pritchett - lambo'ed my driver's side doors after being denied on an optional very large ledge (Ron made it). Broke a driver's side hub at the exit. Cut a tire to the cords, so I ran my full sized spare on Sunday.

Sun: Behind the Rocks - un-lambo'ed my driver's side doors after throttling out of White Knuckle Hill, and landing hard on my rear bumper to avert a potential flop. Hitting the bumper hard, pulled the mounts in the uni-body down, which raised the rear bumper and temporally prevented the rear hatch from opening.

A typical fun GSW event! Lot's of wheeling, lot's of wrenching!
    Last edited by JohnBoulderCO; 06-11-2013 at 05:19 PM.
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

5. #5 Re: GSW 2013 Carnage Report 
    I predict John will be driving a buggy next year.
    -Ryan

6. #6 Re: GSW 2013 Carnage Report 
    Lol. I was just going to ask whe u going to buggy that thing out?
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

7. #7 Re: GSW 2013 Carnage Report 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Cant wait to see this wuggy!
    "ZJ's were designed with the intention to take 1 really good hit, and fold up. As long as the occupants walked away, it was a success. In the wheeling world, we expect our vehicles to take multiple really good hits, drive out of it, and run the obstacle again!"

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Don't fear the grinder John!

Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    Tore the driver side front brake hard line on a hard full stuff that put the wheel into the bracket that held it on at the bottom of the last hard hill to climb. Lucky Jeremiah had a flare kit, Jim had a wrench and everyone was as always, helpful to get a rig back on the trail.

My ARB front line broke, but I think that happened during the suspension install or front end alignment so I don't consider it trail carnage
    Last edited by PassRunnerZJ; 06-19-2013 at 01:31 AM.
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

10. #10 Re: GSW 2013 Carnage Report 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    For those that are reading this report that were not present at GSW, take note that each of us helped out others, with repairs and making sure no one was left on the trail.

At GSW there is a trail for every type of rig, stock or built and we never leave someone on the trail. (Yes I said that twice for emphasis.)

We all pitch in to fix each other's rigs as needed. It is always a team effort!
    Last edited by JohnBoulderCO; 06-12-2013 at 12:23 AM.
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

11. #11 Re: GSW 2013 Carnage Report 
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoulderCO View Post
    For those that are reading this report that were not present at GSW, take note that each of us helped out others, with repairs and making sure no one was left on the trail.

At GSW there is a trail for every type of rig, stock or built and we never leave someone on the trail. Yes I said that twice for emphasis.
    We all pitch in to fix each other's rigs as needed. It is always a team effort!
    THIS!!!

12. #12 Re: GSW 2013 Carnage Report 
    It couldn't be said any better - This is why my family, as well as the rest of our Jeep family makes the trek out to Moab every year, regardless of temperature. Every rig makes it off the trail, whether under its own power or not!

For me, just a smoked cap and rotor 100 yards from the Sand Flats gate on Friday, then blew a trailer tire just west of Glenwood Springs...with no spare, and no 30x9.50-15 tires in Glenwood. The wife drives a 3-wheel trailer damn good though! The Jeep made it home under its own power with no motor issues.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

13. #13 Re: GSW 2013 Carnage Report 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Colorado 5.9's Avatar
    Broke the same break line Todd broke the next day on "The Crack". Same repair job by the same person. Only had to wait until later that night.

Hit my pass. B piller & now my doors are lambo'ed.

Two of the three wires of my electric fan decided to short somewhere east of Grand Junction. OH De Beque it was.

Got lucky & nothing blew or burned up. Took about 30 min. to rewire & on our way to Den. Then Jim's Trailer tire decided to come apart. He failed to mention it took 11 hours to get home.
    Last edited by Colorado 5.9; 06-12-2013 at 11:14 AM.
    98ZJ 5.9, 7" T&T's Long arm kit with belly pan,frame stiffeners,trusses front & rear. 35X12.50 16 BFG KM2's.4.56 Gears, Trail Ready Rear Bumper,Arbed HP D30 Aussie locked rear,ect.ect. Latest 5.9 Pics.

14. #14 Re: GSW 2013 Carnage Report 
    Well it seems some kind of lower B piller brace/support would be a good mod for someone to create. Thoughts?

15. #15 Re: GSW 2013 Carnage Report 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner K2's Avatar
    Transmission slips or doesn't shift correctly. I have some clunks to find, not to bad for two days on the trail with new front suspension.

Justin hooked me up with smoking deal on a new hood and seats too! Thanks Justin.
    02 WJ, Lift, dents, noise and smoke.

16. #16 Re: GSW 2013 Carnage Report 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Cody's Avatar
    I got a speeding ticket on the way home at about 1 a.m. Going 83 in a substantially less than 83 zone. Thankfully he didn't catch me when I was going faster
    Resident hater of tall lifts, dana 44's, 4.0's, stingers, exo cages, and ZJ tow rigs....and the word "overlanding"

17. #17 Re: GSW 2013 Carnage Report 
    Cody do you know what carnage is?

Or was that carnage to your wallet?
    -Ryan

18. #18 Re: GSW 2013 Carnage Report 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Ted_Z's Avatar
    My junk got a "unibody realignment" coming down the steps on the Z-turn on Moab Rim. Note to self, being cocky does pay. Or as I saw on a t-shirt in town "CONFIDENCE: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the
    situation."
    -Ted Z
    '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ stuff
    '02 Grand Cherokee Limited w/ less stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    everytime someone makes a bumper with a stinger, God kills 6 baby Koala's.

19. #19 Re: GSW 2013 Carnage Report 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Cody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
    Cody do you know what carnage is?

Or was that carnage to your wallet?
    Yes, I know what carnage is. I've had my fair share, and maybe a little extra, over the years.

I'd happily trade a broken joint or hub for this ticket
    Resident hater of tall lifts, dana 44's, 4.0's, stingers, exo cages, and ZJ tow rigs....and the word "overlanding"

20. #20 Re: GSW 2013 Carnage Report 
    Yeah you can break quite a few things before a ticket becomes cheaper.
    -Ryan

21. #21 Re: GSW 2013 Carnage Report 
    Senior Member redneckrollercoaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Z View Post
    My junk got a "unibody realignment" coming down the steps on the Z-turn on Moab Rim. Note to self, being cocky does pay. Or as I saw on a t-shirt in town "CONFIDENCE: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the
    situation."
    Lol my wife bought me that shirt two years back. Then my mother-in-law bought me the same shirt earlier this year. And you were rocking it on those 33's pretty much spotterless having to look at the ugly end of my jeep from the back of the pack...hope you didn't hurt it too bad man
    I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but you'll find I can still make the cut.
    94 zj,4.0,5.5"lift via f/r swap and spacers,35" kevlars, rodeo 44 rear w/yukon grizzly,waggy 44 front w/aussie,clayton la's &axle brackets,boatsliders & a bunch of other homebrew mods, Mike Anctil cage

22. #22 Re: GSW 2013 Carnage Report 
    I finally got a chance to roll around under the jeep and am glad to say I couldn't find anything of significance, so I think I am limited to the oddball carnage of a broken power steering pulley.

Still don't know what the deal was, but it shattered on me the day before GSW trail runs started, while we were out sightseeing. Luckily, we met Jeremiah (Stealth Crawler ZJ) the day before when we got to Moab, and we were able to find another pulley in town and get a hold of Jeremiah. Jeremiah got it and brought it up to us in the Canyonlands and we still made it back to town to meet everyone and enjoy the next three days of some great wheeling!!

Still trying to get time to download our pics to post on the other thread, but it was great to finally meet many of the people behind the screen names here on the forum.
    '97 ZJ Limited, Atlas II, 35" KM2's, 4.5" RE Springs + ACOS Spacers w/ Clayton's Longarms, Ford 8.8 w/ Triangulated Bilstein 5150's, Waggy D44, Lockers Front and Rear, and Lots of other customs stuff....

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15667

I had no carnage until Saturday on Pritchett when, for whatever reason, my brake booster decided to give up, followed by breaking a 44 drivers side RCV on rocker knocker (haven't torn it apart yet, but it's definitely not the hub), followed by my power steering completely giving up, thankfully temporarily, possibly from a defective or over heated pump. Had to get a reasonable amount of winch help from Shawn and Jeremiah to get off the trail in three wheel drive. The passenger rear corner of the unibody under the taillight is now split completely across just like the drivers side that i fixed right before the trip, and my drivers door sheet metal is ripped where the latch mounts so the door won't even stay closed. On the way home, my a/c compressor clutch went out on the truck, necessitating a repair in grand junction. Fortunately the local napa there had three clutches and a loaded compressor in stock! I parked the truck on a rock pile behind napa and went to work removing the clutch in the 105° heat, broke the compressor trying to get the old clutch off, and spent several hours fighting to change the whole compressor which Ford conveniently locates between the engine crossmember/cradle and the bottom side of the block. Fortunately Jeremiah showed up around ten or eleven PM and helped me for the last hour and a half putting it all back together...i was sooo thankful for his help! Sounds like he saved a bunch of people's asses on this trip!
    So yeah, i guess i have a bunch of stuff to fix, but oh well, we're home safe and it was all totally worth it!
    -Ron-
    1993 Trashcan, 7/8 Ton, 37's

Some people play golf, others enjoy football...I just really like fucking with people.

Vote REPUBLICAN.......because EVERYONE can't be on WELFARE!!!

24. #24 Re: GSW 2013 Carnage Report 
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    So yeah, i guess i have a bunch of stuff to fix
    -Ron-
    Sounds about right..... D60 and a cooler for that hydro assist will fix the rest . Theres a cheap cooler that the yota guys use, ill have to look it up and let you know that way you dont have to buy that $$$ PSC stuff.
    2002 tacoma trd, 33s, 4.7:1 doubler, some tube bumpers and other poser stuff.

25. #25 Re: GSW 2013 Carnage Report 
    Sounds like that phantom clicking I was hearing was the spider gears in my Dana 30. I also had another drive shaft failure that makes three in 30 days. I also have a couple new dents but that's just the cost of wheeling. By the way does anybody know if you can replace the spider gears in a limited slip front diff (lp30) or do I need to go to the junkyard and replace the whole thing.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    01 WJ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thread Information