Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Limit strap rotating or who cares?

Thread: Limit strap rotating or who cares?

1. #1 Limit strap rotating or who cares? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    As I plan on putting limit straps to the center of the front axle, it dawned upon me; do the shackles need to rotate or can I just bolt them down? I plan on using the motor mount bolts up top and a single hole welded plate with a strap end on each side for the axle. I will let the axle droop until both are taunt then torque everything down.
    I just cant find anything on whether the ends have to swivel on the bolts.

Slight wear increase is a do not care as they are so cheap so I would to just to buy more after a few years vs figure out a rotating mount system. All I care about I guess is will they cut/break on a trip or two. They are 3 layers through the metal end.
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
    “The great object is that every man be armed.” -Patrick Henry

2. #2 Re: Limit strap rotating or who cares? 
    I've been using the tractor supply 'limit straps' (the $9 axle straps) for a few years now without a problem. I just have a 1/2" stud welded where I need then and just sandwich the ends between some big washers, after tightening they can't move. No noticeable wear

98 ZJ - Build hd44/88, 35s, long armed, locked, blah blah blah...
    Build thread

3. #3 Re: Limit strap rotating or who cares? 
    Thanks.. that makes my job much easier.
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dyn0mitemat View Post
    I've been using the tractor supply 'limit straps' (the $9 axle straps) for a few years now without a problem. I just have a 1/2" stud welded where I need then and just sandwich the ends between some big washers, after tightening they can't move. No noticeable wear

That's a great idea, I'll have to look into those when I get my jeep back

5. #5 Re: Limit strap rotating or who cares? 
    BTW, a center strap is much less effective than one on each side, there are a few good threads on here explaining why.
    96 4.0 ZJ, 4.5in RE coils with Teraflex arms, Yukon gears, ARB front bumper, 33x12.50 M/TR's, homemade OBA setup....

97 with stuff....

6. #6 Re: Limit strap rotating or who cares? 
    Yup doing that. 2 ends to a motor mount bolt and I added added a tab to the center of the axle. Just need to drill the hole and install

Thread Information