Thread: Pouring tranny fluid..

1. #1 Pouring tranny fluid.. 
    I'm on my phone and haven't searched so sorry if there's identical posts. Tried driving my zj to work today but its poured tranny fluid on me for the second Time now. It's coming out from the top of the tranny near the motor, leaks down onto the axle, oil filter, exhaust, and that area. Probably a solid 1/2 to whole quart. I haven't checked anything but really hope it's something like a loose full tube, any ideas? When I stop driving it doesn't leak even if I leave it running.
    -Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s
    Subscribe to our Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ClemsonOffroadClub

2. #2 Re: Pouring tranny fluid.. 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Cooler line?

3. #3 Re: Pouring tranny fluid.. 
    The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    Check the cooler lines and check to make sure the vent isn't plugged.

4. #4 Re: Pouring tranny fluid.. 
    Cooler lines are fine. They connect on the driver side of the transmission and arn't leaking. I shook the fill tube to see if it was loose and it felt fine. I can't see it from under the jeep though to check if its cracked. I tried to find the vent tube and could barely see it on the top of the tranny and I didn't see any fluid in that area. The majority of it looks like its on the front of the transmission, the rear of the engine block and the unibody in that area. Looks like that front seal could of gone out? I don't think this tranny even has a year and a half on it since rebuild. I'm probably gonna call the shop and see what they say.
    -Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s

5. #5 Re: Pouring tranny fluid.. 
    Sounds like either the pump/front seal or a hole in the converter.
    96 4.0 ZJ, 4.5in RE coils with Teraflex arms, Yukon gears, ARB front bumper, 33x12.50 M/TR's, homemade OBA setup....

97 with stuff....

6. #6 Re: Pouring tranny fluid.. 
    might check where the cooler lines go into the radiator if you're not running an aftermarket cooler. I had the little retaining clip break randomly once just in the driveway...

7. #7 Re: Pouring tranny fluid.. 
    The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    What I was getting at with the breather being plugged was that it may cause the fluid to back up out of the fill tube. I assume you would've noticed that when you checked the fill tube though. That fill tube is held in there with a bolt through the bellhousing so I doubt it came loose.

8. #8 Re: Pouring tranny fluid.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by zjeepin View Post
    might check where the cooler lines go into the radiator if you're not running an aftermarket cooler. I had the little retaining clip break randomly once just in the driveway...
    Yeah I checked all the lines and just now started it up, drove for like 2 minutes down the road and back and didnt see anything leaking. It was smoking from near the flange on the headers but could not see any fluid.

I see what your talking about with the breather, but there isnt any trace of fluid coming out the top of the fill tube. Not quite sure where else this fluid can be coming from. Gonna call the tranny shop tomorrow and tell them the symptoms and see what they say.

Black_zj, I've read a few places the same thing for my symptoms and I hope not. If it is Ill most likely pull the transmission myself and see about replacing what needs to be fixed. Got no cash to take it to a shop and get work done. This tranny was rebuilt about a year and half ago. Who knows they might help me out.
    -Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s

9. #9 Re: Pouring tranny fluid.. 
    Check the cooler lines and check to make sure the vent isn't plugged.

10. #10 Re: Pouring tranny fluid.. 
    Quote Originally Posted by UTChavok View Post
    Yeah I checked all the lines and just now started it up, drove for like 2 minutes down the road and back and didnt see anything leaking. It was smoking from near the flange on the headers but could not see any fluid.

I see what your talking about with the breather, but there isnt any trace of fluid coming out the top of the fill tube. Not quite sure where else this fluid can be coming from. Gonna call the tranny shop tomorrow and tell them the symptoms and see what they say.

Black_zj, I've read a few places the same thing for my symptoms and I hope not. If it is Ill most likely pull the transmission myself and see about replacing what needs to be fixed. Got no cash to take it to a shop and get work done. This tranny was rebuilt about a year and half ago. Who knows they might help me out.
    Definitely check with the shop who rebuilt it, my converter sprung a leak 2 years after the rebuild and they split the replacement cost with me.
    96 4.0 ZJ, 4.5in RE coils with Teraflex arms, Yukon gears, ARB front bumper, 33x12.50 M/TR's, homemade OBA setup....

97 with stuff....

11. #11 Re: Pouring tranny fluid.. 
    Sounds like the front pump seal for the trans. Not to hard to repair.
    '94 ZJ RC 4" X-flex short arms, 33x12.50x15 trimmed front fenders. Does its job.

12. #12 Re: Pouring tranny fluid.. 
    How to do solve this problem?
    Last edited by Merle3564; 01-27-2014 at 01:54 AM.

Thread Information