Thread: Need some tips to better help make a purchase of next project vehicle

1. #1 Need some tips to better help make a purchase of next project vehicle 
    I am hoping I can get some decent input here, I am trying to get some info on what model/ year Grand Cherokee would make a nice project vehicle. I am wanting to do a low buck budget build (sure I say that now) and have something I can drive in the winter time when it is not favorable for me to drive my SRT. I have looked at Autotrader and Cars.com and see numerous vehicles in the under 3000 price. A lot have the 6 cylinder and some have 8's and most I have seen are in the 2000-2004 model years. TO be honest my knowledge of Jeeps in general is below average as I have always had full size pick ups or SUV's. Just now, where my wife has purchased a new 2013 Jeep GC Overland, I am thinking it would be a interesting project to undertake to not only help me learn about these vehicles, but get a decent ride under me for inclement weather and or the beach. Something I would be doing is probably putting a leveling kit on it or a 3 inch suspension lift (prefer those over leveling kits overall. This vehicle will also be used for going out to the beach, so it will need to be dependable as it is a 12 plus mile run of beach and it is required to air down tires to run it. Also I will be using to put a bicycle in it and fishing gear for when I want to go to one of those out of the way fishing areas. One of the first things I will probably do is rebuild the motor or replace it so mileage is not important. However a decent tranny and transfer case always make a world of difference. Hence why I am hear asking for assistance. In closing thanks in advance for any info and direction to point me towards.

2. #2 Re: Need some tips to better help make a purchase of next project vehicle 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Sorry to disappoint you but this forum is dedicated only for stage 3 and up (extreme rock crawler etc!) Advanced buildsand fabrication.
    If you are looking for beginner q's & a's then maybe check out nagca.com or jeepforum
    Good luck in your quest!
    "ZJ's were designed with the intention to take 1 really good hit, and fold up. As long as the occupants walked away, it was a success. In the wheeling world, we expect our vehicles to take multiple really good hits, drive out of it, and run the obstacle again!"

3. #3 Re: Need some tips to better help make a purchase of next project vehicle 
    Senior Member MallCrawlin Supporter
    Yup what stealth said.
    93 ZJ long arms, 35's, F/R Long arms, 4.56 gears, and a bunch more
    98 5.9 slate gray 4" lift with stuff (sold)
    96 ZJ Lift, Long arms, 35's and a bunch of other shit! (RIP)
    [ IRONMAN 4X4 FAB ] [ RACELINE WHEELS]

4. #4 Re: Need some tips to better help make a purchase of next project vehicle 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Sorry those guys are douchy and can take the time to type an answer, but can't be bothered to make it helpful at all.

If you are looking for something that will help to learn about your 2013 Jeep you won't be helped by buying an older model - they are nothing like the current generation of Grand Cherokees - they share a name and really nothing more. Different engines, transmissions, suspensions, and axles (or lack there of).

On the other hand if you want a cheap, relatively reliable offroad and winter a ride a ZJ (93-98) or WJ (99-04) Grand Cherokee would be a great choice. There are lots of vendors, big and small that make approximately 3-3.5" lift kits. As long as you avoid Rusty's you will be doing fine. Personally, I would not consider a ZJ with the 6, only the V8. On the WJ you could go other way as they squeaked a few more horses out of the 6 and the transmission does a better job of getting torque from engine to tires. Try to find one with the tow package as it will come with the more desirable 3.73 gear ratio in the axles. Finally, either find one with 140k miles and a bad transmission for CHEAP OR find one that has already had the tranny rebuilt by a reputable shop.

Good luck.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

5. #5 Re: Need some tips to better help make a purchase of next project vehicle 
    Quote Originally Posted by jsteves View Post
    Sorry those guys are douchy and can take the time to type an answer, but can't be bothered to make it helpful at all.
    Dang...

Edit - Just going to copy and paste something from the front page just so everyone is on the same page:

"Welcome to MallCrawlin.com! MallCrawlin is your home on the internet for hardcore 4x4 tech. While our site focuses and really specializes in taking Grand Cherokees to the highest level of modification, we are really about modifying anything to make it more capable off-road. The site is absolutely geared towards those who have a good knowledge base already in place and are looking to expand on it. If the most hard-core action your rig has seen is the curb at the mall, we have a newbie area for you too, but if you ask the same old stupid questions that have plagued other Jeep forums over the years (what size tire I can fit, which budget boost is best, etc), you may not fit in here very well."
    Last edited by BigClay; 04-05-2013 at 02:14 PM.

6. #6 Re: Need some tips to better help make a purchase of next project vehicle 
    Senior Member MallCrawlin Supporter
    Lol yea ok that's not a question for this forum. Sorry for trying to keep mc geared towards advanced tech.
    93 ZJ long arms, 35's, F/R Long arms, 4.56 gears, and a bunch more
    98 5.9 slate gray 4" lift with stuff (sold)
    96 ZJ Lift, Long arms, 35's and a bunch of other shit! (RIP)
    [ IRONMAN 4X4 FAB ] [ RACELINE WHEELS]

7. #7 Re: Need some tips to better help make a purchase of next project vehicle 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    ZJ, tow points, budget boost, 31" mud tires, wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

8. #8 Re: Need some tips to better help make a purchase of next project vehicle 
    Quote Originally Posted by jsteves View Post

If you are looking for something that will help to learn about your 2013 Jeep you won't be helped by buying an older model - they are nothing like the current generation of Grand Cherokees - they share a name and really nothing more. Different engines, transmissions, suspensions, and axles (or lack there of).

On the other hand if you want a cheap, relatively reliable offroad and winter a ride a ZJ (93-98) or WJ (99-04) Grand Cherokee would be a great choice. There are lots of vendors, big and small that make approximately 3-3.5" lift kits. As long as you avoid Rusty's you will be doing fine. Personally, I would not consider a ZJ with the 6, only the V8. On the WJ you could go other way as they squeaked a few more horses out of the 6 and the transmission does a better job of getting torque from engine to tires. Try to find one with the tow package as it will come with the more desirable 3.73 gear ratio in the axles. Finally, either find one with 140k miles and a bad transmission for CHEAP OR find one that has already had the tranny rebuilt by a reputable shop.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the info, it was exactly what I needing to help make a informed choice. As far as the others.... got to take the good people with the douchy types, typical of most forums and social media sites nowdays. Though with the information you have provided I will have a good direction to go now. Thanks again.

9. #9 Re: Need some tips to better help make a purchase of next project vehicle 
    Both have their strengths and weaknesses. If your more of a mild type, nothing hardcore (ex: if you'd be happy on a bb and 31s) I'd stray towards a Wj with the applicable advice taken as posted above on them. Mainly because they're newer and you should be able to find one in good shape easier than a zj and theyre still cheap.

Oh and eat shit n00b and welcome to mc
    98 ZJ - Build hd44/88, 35s, long armed, locked, blah blah blah...
    Build thread

10. #10 Re: Need some tips to better help make a purchase of next project vehicle 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by BigClay View Post
    Dang...

Edit - Just going to copy and paste something from the front page just so everyone is on the same page:

"Welcome to MallCrawlin.com! MallCrawlin is your home on the internet for hardcore 4x4 tech. While our site focuses and really specializes in taking Grand Cherokees to the highest level of modification, we are really about modifying anything to make it more capable off-road. The site is absolutely geared towards those who have a good knowledge base already in place and are looking to expand on it. If the most hard-core action your rig has seen is the curb at the mall, we have a newbie area for you too, but if you ask the same old stupid questions that have plagued other Jeep forums over the years (what size tire I can fit, which budget boost is best, etc), you may not fit in here very well."
    Pretty sure he did not ask about tires with his budget boost. If you don't want to help because it is "below" you then don't.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

Thread Information