Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

replacing 93-95 VIC with switch panel

Thread: replacing 93-95 VIC with switch panel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 replacing 93-95 VIC with switch panel 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Looking at consolidating some of the switches and such in the ZJ, and I pulled the VIC out a long time ago, so I figured that would be a good spot for it. I want to have a few switches there, rock lights, aux front lights, and a momentary for the human cooling system. I also want to put this in there to charge the GoPro, cell phones, etc. http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/ind..._detail&p=8670

If there's room, I want to put another 12v DC cig lighter outlet there too, or hardwire an inverter somewhere for 110v AC outlets for charging camera batteries and such. http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/ind...detail&p=12709

Anyways, I have a basic layout for what I want, and I'm trying to figure out how I should actually make it and mount it. I could do it out of sheet, and probably get the openings for the switches and such cut professionally on a TorchMate or similar. There's basically a 1/8" lip on the dashboard piece that I could just use some adhesive to hold it in, but I'm wary of that as I don't know how it would hold up. Any experience with how well this would or would not work? I could have some tabs wrap around the sides and maybe the top and put some small screws or something through there too if needed.

I could also just do it out of plastic, but I figured a steel panel would be a bit stronger, since a good portion of the panel will be cut out for the switches and outlets.

Thoughts?

2. #2 Re: replacing 93-95 VIC with switch panel 
    Dave

Mine's a 96 but I used plastic. It doesn't carry much load or anything, so it works fine. Gauges for trans temp and air pressure, switches to turn on the York, front and rear lockers, and a DPDT switch for high/low for the Taurus fan. Indicator lights, 2 for fan high speed and one for fan low speed. I did away with the ash tray, switch there is for my Hellas.

Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

3. #3 Re: replacing 93-95 VIC with switch panel 
    I'm going to be doing this soon on mine, as I just bought a bunch of switches and stuff from otrattw. I dunno if this'll apply to the older dashes or not, but if you still have the old VIC could you gut it all except the faceplace (piece you see when it's in the dash) and mounts for it and just put a piece of flat sheet metal over it? I've seen a bunch of ways to mount them, and usually you gotta fab up tabs or whatever to get them to sit flush. I was just going to do this on mine, and put four 10-24 socket cap screws in the corners holding it to the original Vic front. Then for your holes and such for the switches just drill/cut/mill through the both.

Prime4x4 said they'd give me one of their prototype zj Vic replacement switch panels but Idk what happened because we were in touch for a few months about the details on it and then everyone just dissappeared. Either way, they have a few pics of it up on their website, maybe you can get some ideas off of that
    98 ZJ - Build hd44/88, 35s, long armed, locked, blah blah blah...
    Build thread

4. #4 Re: replacing 93-95 VIC with switch panel 
    Dave, the 2-sided 3M adhesive strips are pretty dang strong. They are made to hold emblems and stripping in place out in the elements, so they should survive well inside the vehicle. My brother used some to mount his 4 D cell Mag-lite in the back of his XJ and it never came off, your setup would weigh less than half the weight of a 4 D flashlight.
    96 4.0 ZJ, 4.5in RE coils with Teraflex arms, Yukon gears, ARB front bumper, 33x12.50 M/TR's, homemade OBA setup....

97 with stuff....

5. #5 Re: replacing 93-95 VIC with switch panel 
    The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    I used sheet aluminum when I did it and toggle switches from fastronix. I just screwed the sheet to the cutout for the VIC. My intent was to mount a trans temp gauge on the left side. I could've easily gone with a 4 or 5 toggle switch setup and still had room for the gauge.

6. #6 Re: replacing 93-95 VIC with switch panel 
    I just hollowed out the plastic framing of the old VIC(mine was a 98 laredo) and then cut and screwed a thin piece of sheet metal to the plastic frame so I could mount arb switches and a small cb radio. I was able to fasten the cb radio to the plastic "husk" so it couldn't be pulled out as easily. I painted the metal and added some door edge molding around the switches and cb to kinda frame them in. Ill take a pic for you if you want.
    4.5" front custom 3-link, dual triangulated 4 link, 35s, custom front bumper. upcoming: custom belly skid, rear bumper, rocker cutout/boatsides, half doors

7. #7 Re: replacing 93-95 VIC with switch panel 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    I'll have to see if I have the VIC still laying around somewhere, or maybe grab one next time I'm at the yard. Pretty sure I threw it away a long time ago though. But it sounds like I'm good with either direction that I can go.

Dave I did made a switch panel for that spot, years and years ago with lexan. It was plenty sturdy. I don't think you need sheet metal unless you prefer it for some reason.

9. #9 Re: replacing 93-95 VIC with switch panel 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Main reason is I have a sheet left over in the garage from skinning the lid on the M416, but other materials will likely be a lot easier to work with.

10. #10 Re: replacing 93-95 VIC with switch panel 
    I found that plastic/Lexan was pretty forgiving. Sometimes if the hole wasn't quite right or needed a tab to locate a switch (the square one for my York has this) it was easy enough to use a Dremel to cut one in or enlarge the hole. Gauges are a goofy size like 2 1/16, so I used a 2" hole saw and enlarged it a bit to fit.

I painted mine on the back side by the way. Doesn't collect scratches that way.
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

11. #11 Re: replacing 93-95 VIC with switch panel 
    I did mine today, pulled the electronics out of the vic, screwed the front and back covers back on, cut out the back panel for wiring, and then screwed a plate on the front (just drilled and tapped 10-24 screws right into the face). Looks nice I think.

The open spot is for the 8.8 zip locker when it comes out
    Build thread

12. #12 Re: replacing 93-95 VIC with switch panel 
    ^ That looks good.
    Originally Posted by CTeunuch
    Sometimes adults drink adult beverages. Sometimes these 'adults' drink too many of those beverages, and sometimes they come from a gas can.

13. #13 Re: replacing 93-95 VIC with switch panel 
    Looks real nice. Any reason why you left the second one empty instead of shifting them around?

14. #14 Re: replacing 93-95 VIC with switch panel 
    Rear arb switch will go there once I install it
    Build thread

15. #15 Re: replacing 93-95 VIC with switch panel 
    Quote Originally Posted by dyn0mitemat View Post

The open spot is for the 8.8 zip locker when it comes out
    ^^this^^

Quote Originally Posted by BigClay View Post
    Looks real nice. Any reason why you left the second one empty instead of shifting them around?
    96 4.0 ZJ, 4.5in RE coils with Teraflex arms, Yukon gears, ARB front bumper, 33x12.50 M/TR's, homemade OBA setup....

97 with stuff....

16. #16 Re: replacing 93-95 VIC with switch panel 
    Ahh, didn't notice any verbiage under the last picture.

17. #17 Re: replacing 93-95 VIC with switch panel 
    Zip/arb whatever lol. I was planning on a zip to match the 44 in the front, but it doesn't look like they'll be out any time soon so I'll most likely be going with an arb. I got the switches and the little bezel from otrattw.com
    Build thread

Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1367176034195.jpg
Views: 2037
Size:  27.5 KB

Switches are a little crooked, but happy with it so far. Now comes the fun part, wiring it all.

19. #19 Re: replacing 93-95 VIC with switch panel 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    I want to wire in cab winch control but I am having trouble finding a lighted MM DPDT switch...anyone know where to grab one?
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

20. #20 Re: replacing 93-95 VIC with switch panel 
    just depends on what style you want. http://www.otrattw.com has the carling style... you can find basic ones at tractor supply or mcmaster..

The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    Fastronix maybe?

22. #22 Re: replacing 93-95 VIC with switch panel 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    How did you get the rectangular hole so square?
    FYI my Rotozip died after ~15 minutes of use. Company wants me to send it in to get the brushed replaced. Think I am going back to Dremel.
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
    “The great object is that every man be armed.” -Patrick Henry

23. #23 Re: replacing 93-95 VIC with switch panel 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    dynomite's looks like it was cut that way at a factory, on mine I drilled out the corners and used a jig saw to cut the openings.

24. #24 Re: replacing 93-95 VIC with switch panel 
    when i mount the square switches i drill a hole and use my rotozip with a carbide cutter to square the hole...

25. #25 Re: replacing 93-95 VIC with switch panel 
    Built something similar this week on mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information