Thread: Free LP44... do I use it? And a few tech ?s

1. #1 Free LP44... do I use it? And a few tech ?s 
    I bought a jeep J10 for 300 bucks, with a pair of unoriginal Axles. It had an 8 lug dan 60 in the rear, and a 6 lug LP44 in the front.

I yanked the axles, sold the truck body for 300, kept the bed for another FSJ project, and sold a bunch of scrap metal out of the bed for like 50$, so technically I made money on these axles. They are clean and in good shape.

I cut and swapped the tubes to make it a diver drop pinion on the LP44, and have started making a truss and some tabs. So far I have 0$ into this thing, and in the end, it will still be cheap. (drive flanges, chevy 8 lug JY parts, stock axle shafts, and a cheap hydro assist.) I need new 8 lug wheels, but I think that's a good idea, because I can always use them on a pair of 1 tons in the future. I'm staying on 35"s, because even with the trimming I have done in the rear, they are all that will truly tuck.

So now for my concerns:

I'm starting to fear that this LP axle may be WEAKER than my HP30. I am ok with no real gains in strength, I really only want the 44 for the width, for the highsteer options, and the hubs and brake options, which are all hands down an upgrade to the 30. So is this LP44 more apt to break than the HP30 in a forward drive situation? Obviously talking ring gear here.

I have found a chevy 8 lug donor axle, and can buy everything from the C's out, minus calipers for 200$ and be ready for my 8 lug wheels. (that's stub shafts, caliper brackets, brake rotors, hubs, spindles, and WARN lockouts) will the Waggy 44 calipers mount to the chevy caliper brackets?
    Last edited by FortCollinsZJ; 03-16-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    Neil R.

93 318 ZJ, HP30, 8.8, 4.56, 35"s, tube.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    WTF? A unibody won? Did they build a mall at the finish line or something?

Funniest thread on MC

2. #2 Re: Free LP44... do I use it? And a few tech ?s 
    http://www.jantz4x4.com//jantz.php?p=detail&pro=jana_k4

With that, slugs, some good shafts and joints/ RCVs you'd be roughly as strong as a stock LP60, which would be more than good enough if you've been fine on the HP30. But for that money you could have a locked, regeared HP60 and much stronger selectable hubs.

Since you only have time invested at this point, I'd be more apt to tack the caps, find a cheap set of spares, and run it until it breaks. Throw your spares in it and sell it as a bolt-in axle to someone else for close to what you can get a 60 for these days.

edit: I was referring to a used axle when I said locked and regeared. They seem to be going cheap now compared to a few years ago.
    Last edited by IndyZJ; 03-16-2013 at 09:41 PM.
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

3. #3 Re: Free LP44... do I use it? And a few tech ?s 
    It won't be a bolt in option for future sale because I will have it setup for a long arm four link front with coilovers and a custom trackbar height. But I see your point for sure.

I think I will tack the caps and hope I break shafts before the ring gear, but if I do, then I can look into going with the slightly larger Jk44 gears.

I have never broken anything on the HP30 while wheeling. (had the carrier crosspin get lose and break a tooth off the pinion in a sears parking lot though haha) so I am confident the if I stay on 35"s I should be pretty safe. I just really want the extra track width.
    Neil R.

93 318 ZJ, HP30, 8.8, 4.56, 35"s, tube.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    WTF? A unibody won? Did they build a mall at the finish line or something?

Funniest thread on MC

4. #4 Re: Free LP44... do I use it? And a few tech ?s 
    Completely forgot about your front setup.

The selectable hubs/ joints/ shafts are the factory weak points. With the caps securely in place you'll most likely be taking out hubs, but flanges are easy to come by in the JY - you might already have them anyway with the FSJ axle. Flanges will move the weak point to the shafts and joints. Upgrade those and it's a roll of the dice with the low pinion between chipping teeth or snapping the pinion shaft. The JK pinion is about the size of a 60's IIRC and the increased tooth engagement go a long way for gear strength.

If it lasts for a while without breakage on the old factory pieces, it might be worth putting some coin into given your record with the D30. If you're staying on 35-37s the ground clearance of a stock 60 would blow, and you can upgrade piece by piece as/ if necessary with the 44. As long as having the driveshaft hanging down isn't an issue for you, I'd be tempted to go that route.
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

Thread Information