Thread: Changing 8 lug 44 to 5lug

1. #1 Changing 8 lug 44 to 5lug 
    Alright first off I've searched around, and either I suck at googling (most likely) or I can't read , so I'm trying to figure out if anyone else has any info for me.

I found these threads but nothing really stating what I need to know:
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/...xle-build.html
    http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=993467
    http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44.htm

I picked up a 79 F250 44, 8 lug.
    I'm keeping the 8.8 in the rear, so I'd like to match the bolt paterns (with super88 kit of course), and make the 44 5 lug.

Now every time I search I keep finding threads on doing the opposite, 5 lug to 8. Regardless, everything I keep finding is people swapping knuckle out for the ford 8/5 lug stuff that they want.

Is there a way I can keep all the f250 beef from the knuckle out and just put the 5 lug hubs on? I've spent a few days searching now and only have seen two accounts of people saying this, which is making me weary.
    Only information I found is
    Just keep your stuff and get some 5x5.5 hubs. I just did this conversion on mine. Works like a champ! I got some toyota rotors and redrilled them. They are 6x5.5" patteren.
    If I could do this I'd be happy, get the beefy twin piston calipers, flat tops, beefier ball joints, etc, and the bolt pattern I need. I just hate to spend the cash and try this hoping it'll work if someone already knows it wont.

edit:
    Google led me back here, seems every time I use the search on this site it just leads me to a ton of 500+ page build logs that I have to sift through.
    I did find this though:
    http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...4-knuckle-info

Pretty much what I was looking for, for anyone else interested.
    Last edited by dyn0mitemat; 02-25-2013 at 07:50 PM.
    98 ZJ - Build hd44/88, 35s, long armed, locked, blah blah blah...
    Build thread

2. #2 Re: Changing 8 lug 44 to 5lug 
    At this point in your build, I would not replicate my setup. I was hard-headed and determined to salvage my existing setup after getting a bad F150 44 and 9" I had already regeared and locked. You should have the same knuckles I do (without the "indent" and all 5 studs inside the perimeter of the knuckle - not the earlier style biggoofy has). That said, I'm confident my setup will work very well.

Stick with the 8 lug front. Sell your 8.8 and get a D70, 14 bolt, Sterling 10.25, or a GOOD D60 for the rear for $150. You'll save a ton of money if/ when you go to a front 60 and it'll cost far less than building the Super 8.8 and buying the appropriate front brake parts, hubs, and spindles. Plus you won't have a completely custom setup.
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

3. #3 Re: Changing 8 lug 44 to 5lug 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Ted_Z's Avatar
    Why not do the tried and true method of using Chevy/FSJ knuckles and backing plates, small spindles and F150 hubs/rotors?
    -Ted Z
    '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ stuff
    '02 Grand Cherokee Limited w/ less stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    everytime someone makes a bumper with a stinger, God kills 6 baby Koala's.

4. #4 Re: Changing 8 lug 44 to 5lug 
    BANNED
    What year is the hp 44 from the 250? I do not think that taking a f250 8 lug to a 5 lug wouldnt be worth it..

Thread Information