Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

DUI replacement rig, out with the xj in with the zj

Thread: DUI replacement rig, out with the xj in with the zj

1. #1 DUI replacement rig, out with the xj in with the zj 
    Well im here sitting in the hospital while my girlfriend is in labor and bored. been here over night and the docs induced her this morning. So figured it was a good time to finally start a build thread. So back in Oct ran over a drunk driver on the freeway when he cut me off on my way back to my hotel after the military ball. My xj and his Nissan pickup were totaled. I walked away and he went to jail. My xj had 3 inch RE short arm lift, 31, sliders, and bumpers. I was planning on giving this to my oldest son as his first rig because i wanted to move up to a ZJ. well things didn't work that way.

after the wreck, my bumper did its job. Destroyed the nissan

So with the insurance money i went out and bought myself a new project. A 94 limited with a 5.2l, dana 30/35,a 2 inch budget boost, and a 249 with a bad vcc, 155k for $1200.
    the night i picked it up

So the build plan.....
    --already purchased--
    IRO 5.5 inch long arm lift, douch tech shocks, JKS discos, xj long arm, and hack n tap SYE
    249 to 242 or 231,( cant decide i have both in the garage cant make up my mind. leaning towards 242.)
    Flat land 4x4 bumper plans (purchased)
    Cragar 5 spoke black steel 16x8 wheels set of 5
    Treadwright.com Guard Dog tires with Kedge Grip 285/75r16 set of 5

--future--
    swap to a hi pinion dana 30 with axle sleves, c gussets, and alloy usa u joint tabs
    swap to a rear 8.8
    build storage with slide out drawers in rear cargo
    thuroughly detail interior adn wash carpets and hopefully replace drivers seat bottom
    install gps,dvd, stereo entertainment system to keep kids and women happy.
    install cb
    cut fenders as needed
    cut out rockers and replace with tube steel like i did on my xj
    add chasis stifening
    add ofroad lighting above and below.

My ultimate goal is for this rig to be a aggresive trail rig/expo capable rig.

santa brought me some presents the day after xmas...
    wheels

lift with hack n tap SYE

killing time waiting for parts to arrive i started on rear storage

and where ran out of energy. the plat form just sits on top of the wheel wells and fits inside the tie down points.

After running over the drunk, i learned that having my spare tire inside the veicle is a absolute no go. My full size spare 31 inch tire that was in the back of my xj was strapped down to prevent issues off road or roll over. but never thought of front impact. luckily my friends who were ridding with me earlier decide to take a cab to a different hotel. Because my spare came through my back seat all the way to the front of the back of the front seats. So it will go out back on a bumper mounted carrier.

To be continued...
    Last edited by hansshanks; 01-04-2013 at 12:00 AM. Reason: missed info

2. #2 Re: DUI replacement rig, out with the xj in with the zj 
    lift kit loaded and ready to head to my sons step dads house to use his lift to install my lift

front end on

new upper track bar mount

new crossmemeber with long arm mounts

Time for the rear

dads little helper kept pulling the ladder and hammer out, said it was his favorite tool.

didnt take enough pics of the rear i was tired and working on it at 4am.

back on the ground at its new height.

first flex, best i could do with a floor jack and sway bars on front and rear

Needed to modify the pass side tie rod so i reinforced it after heating and bending

after teh kit install. I have a pretty gnarly vibe at 30mph and up. Took teh front drift shaft out to try and narrow it down. Def coming from the rear. My drive shaft is a long way out of the transfer case, so untill i can swap the tcase adn install the ahck n tap i wont be driving much. Today my tires showed up on my door step so once i am done here at the hopsital and the baby stuff settles down i can get back to the build.

I did get a chance to take it out for its first trip last weekend

my buddy brian and his wrangler
    at the end of this trip apparently the motor didnt like 5 grand and no traction. blew the oil pressure sending unit apart and blue smoke and leaked like a siv all teh way home. 30 bucks later had it fixed.

3. #3 Re: DUI replacement rig, out with the xj in with the zj 
    Senior Member MallCrawlin Supporter
    5.5" and tiny tires? Wtf
    93 ZJ long arms, 35's, F/R Long arms, 4.56 gears, and a bunch more
    98 5.9 slate gray 4" lift with stuff (sold)
    96 ZJ Lift, Long arms, 35's and a bunch of other shit! (RIP)
    [ IRONMAN 4X4 FAB ] [ RACELINE WHEELS]

4. #4 Re: DUI replacement rig, out with the xj in with the zj 
    as soon as i am done with the hospital and the little girl is home and settled in i will be hot on getting new shoes on the jeep.. the tires showed up in the mail today so now i just need to assemble them.

5. #5 Re: DUI replacement rig, out with the xj in with the zj 
    well finally got out of the hospital with the new baby. So i figured it was time for some new shoes for the hoopdy.

285/75r16 Guard Dog tires from www.treadwright.com on cragar 5 spoke steel wheels from summit racing. Mounted them up in my buddys garage with a rubber mallet and a tire iron. Put 8 oz of .12 gramm air soft bb's in each wheel to balance. Worked like a charm even smoothed out some of the rear drive shaft vibration.

then needed to test out the snow traction of the new rubber in the freshly fallen snow here. So i cruzed by my buddys house....

6. #6 Re: DUI replacement rig, out with the xj in with the zj 
    Sinker creek canyon near silver city idaho

my buddy luke stuck

luke getting through the interesting way

luke was supposed to drive around but went straight in.

the result of not going around

crossing by the beaver dam

7. #7 Re: DUI replacement rig, out with the xj in with the zj 
    Started my bumper build off the flatland 4x4 plans.

8. #8 Re: DUI replacement rig, out with the xj in with the zj 

how i mounted it

fully welded just needs ground down

major grinding and quick coat of paint on. still needs final grinding, tow points, winch, and paint

9. #9 Re: DUI replacement rig, out with the xj in with the zj 

10. #10 Re: DUI replacement rig, out with the xj in with the zj 
    Looks good - glad to see the bumper came together!

11. #11 Re: DUI replacement rig, out with the xj in with the zj 
    Yes the bumper finaly came togeth et age alt of frustration. Even the most basic of instructions. Or just a sequence of pictures of his it mounts and goes together e would have saved me countless hours.

12. #12 Re: DUI replacement rig, out with the xj in with the zj 
    how are you liking the treadwrights? I got a set sitting in my shop waiting to get put on my buddies wk. They seem like nice tires for the price.
    Last edited by tjswj; 02-12-2013 at 01:11 AM.
    01 Laredo 4" claytons, 33x12.5-15 MTR K's, ARB/M8000, 231hd, lockright

13. #13 Re: DUI replacement rig, out with the xj in with the zj 
    I love them I habe had a set on my f350 for over 2 years. I tow heavy
    Very often. They have held up very well. That is why I bought them for my jeep.

14. #14 Re: DUI replacement rig, out with the xj in with the zj 
    sweet pics and build man. LOVE the wheelin pics of all the rides there!!!
    Brian
    1aauto.com
    866-433-3393
    Jeep Repair Parts

15. #15 Re: DUI replacement rig, out with the xj in with the zj 
    Thank you. I jabe beem drivimg the heck out of it got 300 miles in the last 2 months
    Amd a third of that os on trails. Ill try and ipdate the pictires soon

16. #16 Re: DUI replacement rig, out with the xj in with the zj 
    Been a while, but here is a update.

Finally got around to building a new roof rack for my 94 jeep grand Cherokee. Have about 200$ tied up in it with the light bar. It's 1x1 .90 square tube frame and 3/4 expanded metal decking. I wanted the light bar tucked up under neath to keep it protected from branches I often encounter on the trail. I also wanted it as close to the roof as I could get and keep it flat. I used the factory roof rail mounts. Got the idea from TheKsmith's wj a while back. Needed a place to put my tent cot for the over night trips and a few bundles of firewood. I am not in love wroth the tire downs but they are strong and effective. Also not living the look of the square corners. I think I'll be making a version 2 at a layer date once I get my tubing bender up and running.

The base mounts using factory rivnuts

Perimeter 40 inches by 60 inches

Building the base

Getting it low

Adding color

Somehow missed a tiedown on passenger side.

Drivers side had it

37 inch single row light bar tucked underneath nicely. Set back so there is zero glare on the windshield or hood.

Completed

Test fit of planned load. My trailer park math worked out. Load fits as planned. It's low to the roof as planned, and the light bar is protected.

My 94 5.2, swapped to a np242, wj knuckle swap and crossover steering on a xj hi pinion 30, artec 8.8 swap truss with 8.8ls and 4.10 in rear, iro 5.5 long arms front and rear, rockers replaced with 2x5 .120 wall, Diy TMI steel beadlocks with treadwright 35s, built a flatland4x4.com front bumper, also currently building a modified version of the rear to include a winch. Next up tcase doubler and roof rack.

Thread Information