Thread: 231 swap

1. #1 231 swap 
    ok my front output is toast on my 242 and ive found a 231 on craigslist for $200. now the 231 has 23 spline and the guy says the input shaft sticks out 5/8" from the case which i know isnt right since according to novak the smallest one is 1.2" and it came out of a 95 cherokee with the aw4. i know its hard to tell what im going to get into without pulling my case and checking but what am i going to run into, i want 4wd back before snow
    Jacob
    1994 grand cherokee laredo 4.0 IRO 5.5 critical path long arm kit and IRO OTK steering 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2's
    Artec trussed 8.8

2. #2 Re: 231 swap 
    when you say toast, what is it doing? Is it just a bearing issue or does it sound like gears are grinding? Reason I ask is there isnt much that can go wrong on the front output side. You may be able to get it fixed with a quick rebuild, a kit is about 200, and rather easy to do yourself. Might be worth a shot.
    01 Laredo 4" claytons, 33x12.5-15 MTR K's, ARB/M8000, 231hd, lockright

3. #3 Re: 231 swap 
    its bearings and seals, if i have the front driveshaft in it has real bad vibes and leaks out the front output. i keep going back and forth between rebuilding it and swapping. i just need to be able to do this in a weekend
    Jacob
    1994 grand cherokee laredo 4.0 IRO 5.5 critical path long arm kit and IRO OTK steering 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2's
    Artec trussed 8.8

4. #4 Re: 231 swap 
    Its really not hard to do at all, and there is a ton of info on how to do it online. Even for a first time you should be able to knock it out in a day, maybe two if you bs a little. If you cant seem to find the right 231 for your jeep, I would just rebuild the case you have now untill you can, plus it will get you through winter. Then when you find the 231 that you want, you have all the time in the world to do what you want to it before install (sye, wide chain, etc..), and once its in your 242 will be able to be sold for more since its been rebuilt.

edit: If you wanted to be real cheap about it, just order bearings and seals for the front output and throw them in. You could do that in and out in less than a day, and for under 100 bucks.
    Last edited by tjswj; 11-21-2012 at 11:20 PM.
    01 Laredo 4" claytons, 33x12.5-15 MTR K's, ARB/M8000, 231hd, lockright

5. #5 Re: 231 swap 
    novak has a master rebuild kit for $122 i may just go that route. i may just do what you said since it seems like the only thing wrong is the front output bearings and seals
    Jacob
    Artec trussed 8.8

6. #6 Re: 231 swap 
    i thought i deleted this thread last night. guess i cant delete from my phone
    Jacob
    Artec trussed 8.8

7. #7 Re: 231 swap 
    I don't think what would be needed for a 247 -> 231 swap? if I missed it I apologize, but im interested in looking into what it would take for a swap as my 247 blew last night and wont engage in 4wheel anymore.. my other options are the rebuild kit previously mentioned or replacing it with another 247 from a part out WJ. any info would help! thanks

8. #8 Re: 231 swap 
    Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    not sure if the ZJ and WJ are different. but i did it in my ZJ.

input shaft out of the 249 and put it in the 231. bolted up the 231 and had a shop redo my rear drive shaft.
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

Thread Information