Thread: TOTM: Regrets

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #26 Re: TOTM: Regrets 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    Not going to Moab sooner!!! Actually the whole build up and learn to wheel on a BB and 31's was a great learning experiance as was picking up the 4.5" grinder and finally a welder.

Oh yea, I do regret trying to climb the ledge coming back from GBR that kind of bent my sliders. Of course it wasn't the ZJ, just banging the ledge w/two passengers and all my spares w/o enough ground clearance.
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

2. #27 Re: TOTM: Regrets 
    My biggest regret is not shaving more weight from the beginning. My GVWR has gotten out of hand....it's like 100,000# now. I'm going to be rebuilding the entire Jeep this winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    The password is newbgasm.
    www.crawlerready.com
    "For The Truly Addicted!"

3. #28 Re: TOTM: Regrets 
    Buying and using anything from Rusty's Off Road is the worst decision I have made with my jeep. I have trashed 4 of the 12 joints that they told me they have not had a single problem with, I have split the trackbar bracket in half, the gas tank skid I ordered I had to cut a giant corner out of and the transfer case skid plate I bought I had to take a rosebud on the torch and heat it and hammer the piss out of it. Thanks to Rusty's crap my fab skills get better after each wheeling trip. So I guess I owe them a thanks!

Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady View Post
    My biggest regret is not shaving more weight from the beginning. My GVWR has gotten out of hand....it's like 100,000# now. I'm going to be rebuilding the entire Jeep this winter.
    Sounds like a sliders/boat sides up body replacement. That should be some interesting welding.
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

5. #30 Re: TOTM: Regrets 
    Buiding a D44 for the front. Granted, I had the 1979 F250 anyway. I sold it for about half what I had in it.

Other than that, basically just building this thing. When it's all said and done, one good roll will trash the rig. I have dumped a ton of money in the hydro steer, 1 ton axles, tires and wheels, but half way through this build I realized that one good "oh, shit" momment could land this rig in the crusher. Being that the body and frame are almost the same thing, all it takes is to take a hard roll off a mountain and your looking at a heap of scrap metal. This is why I stopped buying parts grand cherokee specific for it years ago. I invested all my money into things that can be swapped on another rig. So, when that momment happens, and notice I said when, I can pull off my investment pieces and shed a tear or two for my WJ, but still have my big ticket items to put on the next rig.

Don't get me wrong I love my WJ and every time I look at it, I get a chubby. It just looks tough and mean, but still carries the GC look. You just can't run one tons and over 40" rubber and expect it to last forever. You will keep pushing until you find the wheels in the air.
    I'm still waiting on the inexpensive shit to break!!!

'02 WJ with 60's, locked, full hydo, ORI's, on 40's, and still have air conditioning!

6. #31 Re: TOTM: Regrets 
    Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    i dont have many regrets. Starting on a ZJ gave me a great foundation for learning how to build strength through design instead of just throwing heavy plate at things. the ZJ unibody doesn't benefit from trying to weld 1/2" plate to it.

a few mistakes i've made are not building a suspension set-up at full bump. then on my first test drive down the street punching my link mount into the bottom of the oil pan nearly ruining a moderatly built 350 with less than 30 minutes of idle time on it.

not running bump stops because i didn't think i had room......always make room.

building headers that don't allow the sparke plugs to be removed.

and building motor mounts with poly bushings to close to the exhaust pipes.
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

7. #32 Re: TOTM: Regrets 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    Building my front bumper I was looking at the 94 ZJ pic. They have lights straight across the front while the 96 has an uneven profile. I should have made it at the max height then cut away and fill where necessary. Would have been much easier... and look better.
    Last edited by ZJ TINS; 06-03-2016 at 03:46 PM.
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
    “The great object is that every man be armed.” -Patrick Henry

8. #33 Re: TOTM: Regrets 
    Biggest regret was not spending my money wisely. If I had done so I could have had my old Zj and my mr2. It was the worst thing selling it to my brother. I see it everyday and it makes me a little sad everytime something gets changed on it. That's life I suppose.
    Originally Posted by dp96zj
    In short, JU is for mallcrawlers, MC is for people looking for answers.

9. #34 Re: TOTM: Regrets 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    Not buying a Grinder sooner and cutting stuff that was getting in the way of my tires!
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

10. #35 Re: TOTM: Regrets 
    Mine bar none was a billet grille installed when she was a pavement pounder.
    Second was crossover steering on my Soild 60, wtf was I thinking with 42" tires lol
    Third was not going to coil overs sooner.
    Solid HP60 40 Spline 300M shafts
    Built 14B. 40 Spline 300M shafts

Quote Originally Posted by DankNesS
    MallCrawlin is like the mafia... if someone doesnt vouch for you then they just rip into you on every post

11. #36 Re: TOTM: Regrets 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by reward_1000 View Post
    Buying and using anything from Rusty's Off Road is the worst decision I have made with my jeep. I have trashed 4 of the 12 joints that they told me they have not had a single problem with, I have split the trackbar bracket in half, the gas tank skid I ordered I had to cut a giant corner out of and the transfer case skid plate I bought I had to take a rosebud on the torch and heat it and hammer the piss out of it. Thanks to Rusty's crap my fab skills get better after each wheeling trip. So I guess I owe them a thanks!
    Sounds like cRusty's junk hasn't changed.

12. #37 Re: TOTM: Regrets 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    Buying a Harbor freight grinder instead of a real tool (which I now have). I good one cuts the grinding time in half compared to a HF.
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
    “The great object is that every man be armed.” -Patrick Henry

13. #38 Re: TOTM: Regrets 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ZJ TINS View Post
    Buying a Harbor freight grinder instead of a real tool (which I now have). I good one cuts the grinding time in half compared to a HF.
    Quality abrasives are just as important. The HF abrasives SUCK. I've bought quite a few from Heleta and been happy with them, and they are much cheaper than buying from Home Depot or Lowes.

14. #39 Re: TOTM: Regrets 
    The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    Quality abrasives are just as important. The HF abrasives SUCK. I've bought quite a few from Heleta and been happy with them, and they are much cheaper than buying from Home Depot or Lowes.
    It's amazing how much longer a good cutoff wheel (I've had good luck with the DeWalt wheels) last compared to the cheapo house brand ones you get from True Value or whatever

15. #40 Re: TOTM: Regrets 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZJ TINS View Post
    Buying a Harbor freight grinder instead of a real tool (which I now have).
    I agree with this, but the damn thing won't die. It's scary as hell to use for a cutoff wheel because of how poorly designed the switch is. Plus I didn't realize how much the thing vibrated compared to a brand name grinder.

I now really only use mine with flap disks. I bought a Ryobi to replace the HF one, but after I had it for a while and finally needed to use a cutoff wheel -- I realized they intentionally designed the arbor to not accept cutoff wheels. The Ryobi was very nice for grinding. I finally picked up a Dewalt on sale at a local hardware store and it's amazing how much nicer and smoother it is to use. Sure I probably spent more money on grinders that a "regular" person probably should, but I do use all three -- it's kinda nice not have to swap out a cutoff wheel, grinding disk, and flap disk with I'm cutting/fitting/prepping metal.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 03-14-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

16. #41 Re: TOTM: Regrets 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    I agree. I have a VERY old 4"Makita I really like. It is harder and harder to find wheels for it and it takes 2 wrenches. Not the modern button stop. The second is a HF that i have to use a wrench and vice grips on since the fragile button broke. It is weak and heats up quick. And the other is a 7" Rockwell that is awesome for quick metal removal. It is unwealdy for small stuff, but when I need It I feel like Tim Allen.
    01 WJ

17. #42 Re: TOTM: Regrets 
    Senior Member redneckrollercoaster's Avatar
    I thought I was so smart when I took the zj upper tierod adjuster sleeve and mated it to the wagoneer steering instead of having to ream out the pitman arm. Honestly, it worked awesome and I was all proud of myself. Bought the zj drop pitman arm and tracbar drop bracket, all that jazz. Have had no problems with steering, other than my turning radius SUCKS. Got under there today thinking I could just take out the steering stops and make it somewhat better. No dice. Now had I known the wagoneer pitman arm has a lot more 'throw' before I had bought the zj drop pitman I would have bought an FSJ wagoneer pitman instead! For less money, even. And had my stock turning radius retained in the process...DAMNIT!
    So anyone swapping in a front waggy 44, don't do like I did. I am sad now. The good news is I read somewhere that the drop pitman for a fsj wagoneer is the same as a 70's f150 pitman arm. I will find one tomorrow and find out for myself
    Last edited by redneckrollercoaster; 03-16-2013 at 09:27 PM.
    I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but you'll find I can still make the cut.
    94 zj,4.0,5.5"lift via f/r swap and spacers,35" kevlars, rodeo 44 rear w/yukon grizzly,waggy 44 front w/aussie,clayton la's &axle brackets,boatsliders & a bunch of other homebrew mods, Mike Anctil cage

18. #43 Re: TOTM: Regrets 
    I regret buying the el cheapo(Zone)short arm lift that ripped the rear track bar bracket off my D44a. Should have bought a longarm kit! My 5.9 has spent too much time sitting in the parking lot.

19. #44 Re: TOTM: Regrets 
    Quote Originally Posted by PoserZJ View Post
    I regret buying the el cheapo(Zone)short arm lift that ripped the rear track bar bracket off my D44a. Should have bought a longarm kit! My 5.9 has spent too much time sitting in the parking lot.
    My guess is that it wasn't the short arm kit's fault. It likely came with a track bar relocation bracket instead of an adjustable rear track bar. Rear relocation brackets always tear the bracket off of the axle. Always.
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

20. #45 Re: TOTM: Regrets 
    That's exactly what happened, polished the paint off the rear springs and made the rear inside of the tires whitewalls. Live and learn.

21. #46 Re: TOTM: Regrets 
    My biggest regret is waiting so long to buy a plasma torch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thread Information