Thread: How hard would it be to swap

1. #1 How hard would it be to swap 
    A 97 ZJ harness, computer, drivetrain, bcm, dash wiring, front seats, ect.... in to an 88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer??? after a few years of wheeling mine hard, the unibody is fully tweaked, and basically garbage, i wat to also swap the gauge cluster and everything over to make basically an 88 OBDII Waggy, im even thinking of doing the steering colum, i want to keep as much as possable working, including cruse control.....think it can work guys?????

I have a waggy with a locked up engine, and bad trans, and i have a good drivetrain in my 97, again, i want to keep as much working as possable, lights, gauges, key, remote start would be nice to keep also...

Sounds like a fun project eh?

I also have a FSM for the ZJ, but not the SJ.
    No longer a JeepTech01 fan.

Just boobs.

And biggoofy.

And ELLLLLIOTTTTT................I think..........Yup and ELLLLLIOTTTTT.

2. #2 Re: How hard would it be to swap 
    as funny as it sounds, you should measure the dash widths of both vehicles. See if you can swap the entire ZJ dash in, with column, gauges, AC, and stereo with it. At that point, you could give the computer everything it's interested in as long as you match the factory ZJ exhaust system
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

3. #3 Re: How hard would it be to swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
    as funny as it sounds, you should measure the dash widths of both vehicles. See if you can swap the entire ZJ dash in, with column, gauges, AC, and stereo with it. At that point, you could give the computer everything it's interested in as long as you match the factory ZJ exhaust system
    That was my first thaught.

You have everything already so its just a matter of carefully moving everything over. Just make sure you find, mark and re-attach all the grounds.

Wont be a easy quik swap but cool none the less.

4. #4 Re: How hard would it be to swap 
    Do a shit ton of research on early OBDII Magnum swaps. It's not too common compared to Chevy or even Ford swaps and few companies (1 last time I checked) can do the tuning to eliminate emissions BS.

If you were going to do a drivetrain swap, go with a worthwhile drivetrain. Even a 5.3 and 4l60e would be a huge improvement over any Magnum motor and trans and cost less than having the 44re rebuilt. Cut down the harness and have it flashed for a stand-alone system for $150. MPGs and power would go up dramatically and they're a lot easier to work on. There's a reason it's done so much.
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

5. #5 Re: How hard would it be to swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    Do a shit ton of research on early OBDII Magnum swaps. It's not too common compared to Chevy or even Ford swaps and few companies (1 last time I checked) can do the tuning to eliminate emissions BS.

If you were going to do a drivetrain swap, go with a worthwhile drivetrain. Even a 5.3 and 4l60e would be a huge improvement over any Magnum motor and trans and cost less than having the 44re rebuilt. Cut down the harness and have it flashed for a stand-alone system for $150. MPGs and power would go up dramatically and they're a lot easier to work on. There's a reason it's done so much.
    Tho i agree on a GM swap to make things easier, i just dont have the funds to buy the gm drivetrain, i already have a jeep that can donate itself, for parts and electrical, it only makes sense to run with what i have versus spending almost needlessly.

Just boobs.

And biggoofy.

6. #6 Re: How hard would it be to swap 
    If you've got the time, go for it. However, for a much cleaner swap I would keep the Waggie dash and gauges and only use the ZJ harness to run the engine and trans. Just use the stock sending units you already have in the AMC motor and transplant them to the 5.2. Swapping the interior and making it look "right" (if that's a concern) would be about impossible. Certain year YJs (and maybe others?) have a speedometer drive that has a cable output for the Wagge speedo and pulse generator for the PCM, which might also allow you to keep the ZJ cruise. The fuel pump/ sending unit/ tank will be another hurdle, but easily solvable. Get the pinouts/ schematics for both vehicles and go to town.
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

I am swapping a 5.3 and rebuild 4l60 into a 85 wagoneer right now. It is very labor intensive to do the swap right but it will be worth it in the long run. It would not be worth my time to swap in any ZJ motor.

8. #8 Re: How hard would it be to swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    If you've got the time, go for it. However, for a much cleaner swap I would keep the Waggie dash and gauges and only use the ZJ harness to run the engine and trans. Just use the stock sending units you already have in the AMC motor and transplant them to the 5.2. Swapping the interior and making it look "right" (if that's a concern) would be about impossible. Certain year YJs (and maybe others?) have a speedometer drive that has a cable output for the Wagge speedo and pulse generator for the PCM, which might also allow you to keep the ZJ cruise. The fuel pump/ sending unit/ tank will be another hurdle, but easily solvable. Get the pinouts/ schematics for both vehicles and go to town.
    After gutting my zj out I would not bother trying to make the old waggy gauge cluster work. I would keep all wires from the zj as they are and fit the zj cluster in its place. less things to go wrong keeping wires in tack and not trying to repin shit.

9. #9 Re: How hard would it be to swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
    match the factory exhaust? are you refering to keeping the Y-pipe so the o2 can read both banks? because the upstream on mine is only reading off one bank anyway... so my dual exhaust dream may come true...

Quote Originally Posted by MUDDTRACKS View Post
    After gutting my zj out I would not bother trying to make the old waggy gauge cluster work. I would keep all wires from the zj as they are and fit the zj cluster in its place. less things to go wrong keeping wires in tack and not trying to repin shit.
    yeah fuck that repin bs, im keeping the waggy dash and putting my cluster and shenigans in it.

Just boobs.

And biggoofy.

10. #10 Re: How hard would it be to swap 
    I think make everything work in the most basic way possible way, it'll be the best when your off roading and happen to have something fail. eventually i'l be doing the same to my xj. if there are minimal sensors and computers the better things will be

Thread Information