Thread: Anyone stick braze steel?

1. #1 Anyone stick braze steel? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    Been looking into arc welding (AC only) thin steel sheet and looks like several companies sell brazing sticks for AC welders. Since the process does not melt the base metal seems like an ideal solution. All I need do is be exttra clean and use brazing flux.

Anyone try this?
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
    “The great object is that every man be armed.” -Patrick Henry

2. #2 Re: Anyone stick braze steel? 
    Ordered 1.5 lbs off ebay will let you know what happens. Tensile strength is 50ksi vs 6xxx 60 ksi vs 7xxx 70ksi. So for sheet metal it should be just fine, but for anything thick enough to weld I plan on doing so.
    Last edited by ZJ TINS; 07-15-2012 at 06:23 PM.
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

I've only ever brazed with an oxy/acetylene torch and fluxed brass filler rod. I would be very interested to see how this turns out. Please let us know.

4. #4 Re: Anyone stick braze steel? 
    Will do. FYI the brand is Zena you can find the website for info (zena website) and they sell via ebay too. Not only do they have specialty sticks but welders too. Also made in USA via Tenn.

5. #5 Re: Anyone stick braze steel? 
    Go them. Now all I have to do is wait for the heat to cool down (104oF yesterday WTF this is Iowa!?!??).

Also found out Hobart has stick for brazing but I could not find out if they are AC/DC or DC only (as I have only AC). Sounds like it works though if Hobart is in the biz.

6. #6 Re: Anyone stick braze steel? 
    Very interested to see how this works out for you man, i just finished a restoration of a 96 ranger with a twin turbo'd 460 from a '76 lincoln continental, and ended up having to do a lot of body work with a gas-less mig.. which SUCKS! Always thought it'd be cool to be able to braze the shit.. will be checking this out if it works out for ya!

7. #7 Re: Anyone stick braze steel? 
    Well I am going to try over Xmas break. Since I need to boat side my ZJ due to rust, I thought I will try brazing most of it, with welding where the metal is thick. Most will be overhead so I will practice same. I get some pic's and perform some destructive tests to see how far the brazing runs under the metal. I hope it runs 1/2" or so, this would be great to tie into the sheet metal of the body. Other than corners or support ends the brazed joints should be plenty strong.

8. #8 Re: Anyone stick braze steel? 
    Stick braze does not work for thin metal... the arc is still to hot. I will look around for projects for dissimilar metals. I wonder if it would work on cast?

Thread Information