Thread: Simple, Waterproof (or resistant if need be) Stereo

1. #1 Simple, Waterproof (or resistant if need be) Stereo 
    Any ideas? I have a factory AM radio with single speaker in the Scout, and that's all great and dandy, but I want some tunes! I am not looking for a full blown stereo (head unit, amp, speakers, blah blah), but rather leaning towards an amplifier with AUX input and some speakers. A quick ebay search brings up a few options, but to be honest, all of the numbers mean absolutely crap to me.

Any suggestions on power output/speakers? I'm looking at installing 2-4 speakers (the Scout is set up as a pick-up), and want something I can plug my ipod into and get decent sound. I don't need to be blasting the eardrums off of the guy at the stoplight next to me, but I want to hear clear music at a decent decibel level I can hear on the highway. I don't need FM, so no head unit. I'm also hoping to do this with some sort of budget... $200-300.00 TOPS for the entire system.

Lastly, waterproof is a must, since the Scout spends more time topless than she does with a roof.
    Krash80: And my trailer weighs 8,000 lbs empty.
    CurtP: What does your house have to do with any of this?

The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much, it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.
    ~Franklin D. Roosevelt

2. #2 Re: Simple, Waterproof (or resistant if need be) Stereo 
    check out a boating store. I have water proof speakers but a standard head unit in my Sea Ray SunRunner
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...2#.T_5VfZH4Lpo
    1996 ZJ Orvis Edition,V8 5.2L
    Skid Package, FM 40, UC, Dual Intake; OME Stab; Rustys 2" BB, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination M/T's, Kennesaw Multicarrier

Quote Originally Posted by InIt4TheFun View Post
    They can not handle man talk so you were wise.
    Pop Quiz: Whats more awesome than a lumberjack punching Santa in the face? (A) Nothing, or (B) All of the above?

3. #3 Re: Simple, Waterproof (or resistant if need be) Stereo 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Jeep Whore's Avatar
    well if you dont want to ruin your ipod out on the trail look for a stereo with a usb port on the front. then put music on a usb stick (4gb) and load about 350 songs onto it (thats the max mine will read) and then its a cheaper worry free way to listen to your music.

i know you won't have the same control as you would with hooking up your ipod.

since you want a waterproof one the only option for a usb port is a cable coming out of the back of it going to the glove box or center console.
    _______.00000. << ---Mine------____.____.
    //_|__l__,\____\,___---Dads>> /l __,[____],_
    l_--\__\__l---\[]llllll[]| -----------l--|_|-L-OllllllllO-
    (o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ----------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    Glws = good looking wagon sir

4. #4 Re: Simple, Waterproof (or resistant if need be) Stereo 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ds4x4 View Post
    check out a boating store. I have water proof speakers but a standard head unit in my Sea Ray SunRunner
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...2#.T_5VfZH4Lpo
    How is the sound quality with that set-up? I'm not looking for pounding bass, but I'd like to hear it clearly at volume.

The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much, it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.
    ~Franklin D. Roosevelt

5. #5 Re: Simple, Waterproof (or resistant if need be) Stereo 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep Whore View Post
    well if you dont want to ruin your ipod out on the trail look for a stereo with a usb port on the front. then put music on a usb stick (4gb) and load about 350 songs onto it (thats the max mine will read) and then its a cheaper worry free way to listen to your music.

i know you won't have the same control as you would with hooking up your ipod.

since you want a waterproof one the only option for a usb port is a cable coming out of the back of it going to the glove box or center console.
    I'm not worried about ruining my Ipod. I have some waterproof cases which I use on the motorcycle and such to keep it out of the elements. It can even be submerged!

~Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thread Information