Thread: CO Red C0one - Handcart Gulch - Webster June 30th 2012

1. #1 CO Red C0one - Handcart Gulch - Webster June 30th 2012 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    We met Ken/Kim, Dan/Michelle (K5) and Tyler with his son's at the trail head of Handcart Gulch on Saturday. I was with my three kids and one of Kyles friends. Things started interesting as Ken was missing a upper rear control arm bolt. Dan provided a hitch pin and with some creative use of a highlift, bottle jack, hammer and pushing Ken was ready to go. Tyler arrived with some friends in a TJ, XJ and a Liberty. The XJ had some overheating issues on 285 so Tyler decided to hang back with his crew while Ken, Dan and I went ahead.

Red Cone was as scenic as ever, truly one of the best in the state. Pretty uneventul all the way to the Webster/Handcart junction. We could see Webster towards Handcart was clear of the snowbank. Since I was camping on Kenosha my kids and I went left back towards 285. It had been years since I was able to run Webster Handcart this direction. Very scenic and a portion of the switchbacks were still pretty tight getting down

Ken and Kim wanted to eat dinner in Dillon and Dan n Michelle followed them down Webster to the right towards Montenzuma.

If it were a little earlier in the afternoon I would have run Radical Hill, guess that will be next time later this summer. I really like this area of trails.

Keith

PS I only took a few pics of my kids this time around.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

2. #2 Re: CO Red C0one - Handcart Gulch - Webster June 30th 2012 
    It was a great run. Kim has some pictures I'll see about stealing her camera and downloading them. The hitch pin fix held up great, wheeled the whole trip without incident. However, after dinner at the Dam Brewery in Dillon, Dan used my OBA to air up and he and Michelle were on their way. I finished airing up and we got goingtoo. Before we got on I-70 I got the death wobble. Slowed down, it went away, so I proceeded up the ramp onto the highway. As I was getting up to speed, just at the end of the ramp, it started shaking again. I pulled off the side of the highway and had Kim turn the steering wheel as I looked for loose stuff. Turns out that the bolt for the track bar was loose, tightened that up and we were good to go.

Well almost. As we were climbing towards the tunnel, the temp gauge kept climbing. I was thinking "If I make the tunnel, I'm OK because it's downhill for about 20 miles". Well, just before the tunnel by the truck parking the needle pegged. We pulled over, let the fan run for about 3-4 minutes and it was cooled down enough to go. No incidents the remainder of the drive into Denver.

Note to self.....check all the bolts.

I still have to replace that hitch pin with a real bolt. I didn't have time yesterday.

Thanks again Keith, it was another great Red Cone run as usual.
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

3. #3 Re: CO Red C0one - Handcart Gulch - Webster June 30th 2012 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    Seems like your Jeep does better on the trail than off. Glad you made it home.

I discovered a slight coolant leak when I got back to camp on Saturday. I could not see where it came from and thought it might be the overflow. Then I noticed it again just before we left for home on Sunday. I decided to see what happens and drove to Pine Junction with the trailer and Kyle following me. No overheating of anykind but the leak was there again at the Crossroads Grille where we had lunch. It looks like its the radiator. I drove it all the way home with the trailer in tow and even with the 100degree temps around Denver I never got passed normal. Still leaked in the driveway when I got home. Bummer part is I have be bent crossmember that was a result of something that happened 10 years ago. The radiator was curved because of this too. This may be a challenge to replace the radiator and I likely will have to straighten the crossmember. With all the travel I have over the next 4 weeks, I may be on a limited amount wheeling this summer.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

Thread Information