Thread: Grand Slam West 2013 Scheduled

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #26 Re: Grand Slam West 2013 Scheduled 
    Main thing you will want to be sure to have are front and rear tow points. As long as you have those and some driving skill you'll be fine. Moab looks scarier then it really is. It never hurts to have some sliders and armor either.

2. #27 Re: Grand Slam West 2013 Scheduled 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Welcome. You should have full skidplates and, as Wil said, tow points front and rear. Also, especially with 35s, make sure you have a steering gear box brace. Bring any spares and tools you think you'll need, but if you end up breaking something you don't have replacements for or need a tool you didn't bring, we'll figure something out. Finally, please bring a CB (hand held is fine) for trail communication.

3. #28 Re: Grand Slam West 2013 Scheduled 
    I appreciate the tips, next time before asking I will check the actual registration page (there happens to be a convenient link lol)...ought to be info there
    I am excited, I told myself I was going as soon as I was on 35's and functional. See ya all there!!
    I own a ZJ, which means I am a broke bitch...
    -1997 Limited, taller with some parts on it and tires and such. I miss driving it on-road so I can love driving off-road.
    If you have factory rocker panels that are smooth/have all the paint on them...maybe MC isn't for you. JS
    <<<< DRINKS THE ROOF-RACK H8RADE..

4. #29 Re: Grand Slam West 2013 Scheduled 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    And whatever you do, don't take a new Jeep to Moab Rim in the middle of the night w/o telling anyone or taking any tools.
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

5. #30 Re: Grand Slam West 2013 Scheduled 
    Quote Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
    And whatever you do, don't take a new Jeep to Moab Rim in the middle of the night w/o telling anyone or taking any tools.
    It wasn't a new Jeep - it was 2 years old with 50k miles on it! And we would have been fine if we had a sat phone! Or if WK steering linkages didn't pretzel when you look at them.

Funny, well prob not so much to you Z. But you made me laugh....

Sent from my HTC eVo using Tapatalk 2
    -1997 Limited, taller with some parts on it and tires and such. I miss driving it on-road so I can love driving off-road.
    If you have factory rocker panels that are smooth/have all the paint on them...maybe MC isn't for you. JS

What was even funnier was that it was Jeep's Jeep that I broke - they brought a 4" lifted WK out to show off at a GSW and at 7:30 one evening the Jeep rep asked me if I wanted to try it out. At the start of the trail we both said "we really shouldn't be out here alone...". Ended up having to walk up the ridge until I got cell phone coverage and Cody and Kevin came out and got us off the ridge. Kevin had to weld up a fix (I now carry a spare tie rod).

We have great support at GSW; but unlike me, try not to need it!

Well, I have a long list if things to get done between now and 6June... I love working on my ZJ but its a daunting list. Im still goin, no doubt but I def didnt make a list a needs before I commited lol.

9. #34 Re: Grand Slam West 2013 Scheduled 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Cody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    What was even funnier was that it was Jeep's Jeep that I broke - they brought a 4" lifted WK out to show off at a GSW and at 7:30 one evening the Jeep rep asked me if I wanted to try it out. At the start of the trail we both said "we really shouldn't be out here alone...". Ended up having to walk up the ridge until I got cell phone coverage and Cody and Kevin came out and got us off the ridge. Kevin had to weld up a fix (I now carry a spare tie rod).

We have great support at GSW; but unlike me, try not to need it!
    That's a way better story than "this one time we did moab rim in the dark and nothing happened". I had fun that night.
    Resident hater of tall lifts, dana 44's, 4.0's, stingers, exo cages, and ZJ tow rigs....and the word "overlanding"

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    That's a way better story than "this one time we did moab rim in the dark and nothing happened". I had fun that night.
    Coming back from GSW with a good story to tell is pretty much a guarantee.

11. #36 Re: Grand Slam West 2013 Scheduled 
    After years of jealousy I think my schedule will finally work to make it out there this year. I tried to book at Redstone yesterday, but they are currently booked, so I'm on that waiting list with fingers crossed and excitement building.
    '97 ZJ Limited, Atlas II, 35" KM2's, 4.5" RE Springs + ACOS Spacers w/ Clayton's Longarms, Ford 8.8 w/ Triangulated Bilstein 5150's, Waggy D44, Lockers Front and Rear, and Lots of other customs stuff....

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15667

12. #37 Re: Grand Slam West 2013 Scheduled 
    Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    Welcome. You should have full skidplates and, as Wil said, tow points front and rear. Also, especially with 35s, make sure you have a steering gear box brace. Bring any spares and tools you think you'll need, but if you end up breaking something you don't have replacements for or need a tool you didn't bring, we'll figure something out. Finally, please bring a CB (hand held is fine) for trail communication.
    maybe too much for GSW :=)

http://www.motorcitymusclecars.com/w...mmsystem01.jpg

13. #38 Re: Grand Slam West 2013 Scheduled 
    I'm looking to fly out to GSW this year, unless jfowlzj95 tows his ZJ out there. Any recommendations on an airport to fly into?

And I guess I'll be looking for other sleeping arrangements, since goldensd said the Redstone is booked. Can somebody enlighten a GSW rookie?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek33
    Its a jeep, it doesn't have to make sense.

14. #39 Re: Grand Slam West 2013 Scheduled 
    Well as far as flying in you are left with a few options and who is willing to come pick you up or are you going to rent Jeep. You could fly into Salt Lake City then take a commuter flight right into Moab. You could fly into Denver and have somebody pick you up on their way through or Grand Junction which is only 2 hours away from Moab.

15. #40 Re: Grand Slam West 2013 Scheduled 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Cody's Avatar
    There is a shuttle that runs from the SLC airport to Moab. It's pretty reasonable.
    Resident hater of tall lifts, dana 44's, 4.0's, stingers, exo cages, and ZJ tow rigs....and the word "overlanding"

16. #41 Re: Grand Slam West 2013 Scheduled 
    Name:  CCI02222013_00000.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  17.4 KB

I have been saying "im gonna go to Moab" for about 4 years. Well, I dont know if I will be single by the time GSW16 comes around (read too much time in the garage) but Im retarded excited about going!!

Question, how does it work if my rig doesnt have tags and I am towing it? Do I have to tow it around to trailheads all day? And has anyone camped down there that can comment good or bad on doing it.

18. #43 Re: Grand Slam West 2013 Scheduled 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    It does need to be tagged to be driven on the road in UT. Also, to participate in the event you do need insurance on your rig as well. Most of the trails have trailer parking, but a lot of them are not in and out trails, so the trail may come back out 10-15 miles away from where you parked. If you can get it tagged, it will be easier for ya.

Plenty of good camping spots inside and outside of town.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    It does need to be tagged to be driven on the road in UT. Also, to participate in the event you do need insurance on your rig as well. Most of the trails have trailer parking, but a lot of them are not in and out trails, so the trail may come back out 10-15 miles away from where you parked. If you can get it tagged, it will be easier for ya.

Plenty of good camping spots inside and outside of town.
    Ok so the gf said hell no to camping ( read no showers) after a 15 hour drive and
    setup/teardown of a tent for 4 days. But it seems I am going to get the heep registered at a friends house so I can run tags and it is always insured when wheeling (oregon state law). Thank you for the input on the trails, if it wasnt going to be a pain to trailer to the trailheads I wouldnt have bothered registering it. Anyway. Thanx

20. #45 Re: Grand Slam West 2013 Scheduled 
    Senior Member redneckrollercoaster's Avatar
    Lots of campgrounds right in town that have full amenities. Including nice showers. http://www.discovermoab.com/campgrounds_private.htm
    But a motel does have its advantages
    I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but you'll find I can still make the cut.
    94 zj,4.0,5.5"lift via f/r swap and spacers,35" kevlars, rodeo 44 rear w/yukon grizzly,waggy 44 front w/aussie,clayton la's &axle brackets,boatsliders & a bunch of other homebrew mods, Mike Anctil cage

21. #46 Re: Grand Slam West 2013 Scheduled 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Ted_Z's Avatar
    Room booked for 6/5-6/9! Redstone did say that I got the last room for Saturday night so don't wait any longer to book/get on waiting list.
    -Ted Z
    '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ stuff
    '02 Grand Cherokee Limited w/ less stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    everytime someone makes a bumper with a stinger, God kills 6 baby Koala's.

22. #47 Re: Grand Slam West 2013 Scheduled 
    Asshole Extraordinaire Lifetime Supporter
    MallCrawlin Supporter
    Another year I will miss...Im going to be back in the states in May, and leaving the weekend before GSW, but, Im thinking this is my last year over here. So this will be the last one I miss!
    Last edited by Kauzi Zj; 03-09-2013 at 05:20 AM.
    "I will offend a bunch of you. I do not know what your moral boundaries are, so I'm probably going to cross them at some point. I sometimes even go beyond my own moral boundaries -- that's how I know I still have them."

Tosh.0 (Loosely translated by Fuego)(slightly modified to fit my needs!)

23. #48 Re: Grand Slam West 2013 Scheduled 
    I got into Redstone on a cancellation this week as well. Planning to hit town with the wife on Wednesday and Leave on Sunday.

Now, I just need to pick my trails, get registered, and see what kind of excuses I can create to do some work on the Jeep. Can't wait.
    '97 ZJ Limited, Atlas II, 35" KM2's, 4.5" RE Springs + ACOS Spacers w/ Clayton's Longarms, Ford 8.8 w/ Triangulated Bilstein 5150's, Waggy D44, Lockers Front and Rear, and Lots of other customs stuff....

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15667

24. #49 Re: Grand Slam West 2013 Scheduled 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauzi Zj View Post
    Another year I will miss...Im going to be back in the states in May, and leaving the weekend before GSW, but, Im thinking this is my last year over here. So this will be the last one I miss!
    Bummer you're going to miss it again. We all know it's just a giant ruse because my spotting makes your bowels quiver. If time allows, we need to get a beer while you're back.

25. #50 Re: Grand Slam West 2013 Scheduled 
    Asshole Extraordinaire Lifetime Supporter
    MallCrawlin Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    Bummer you're going to miss it again. We all know it's just a giant ruse because my spotting makes your bowels quiver. If time allows, we need to get a beer while you're back.
    Im planning a trip to Denver while I'm home, I will let you know exactly when as soon as I know for sure! I'm only home for about 3 weeks again...
    "I will offend a bunch of you. I do not know what your moral boundaries are, so I'm probably going to cross them at some point. I sometimes even go beyond my own moral boundaries -- that's how I know I still have them."

Tosh.0 (Loosely translated by Fuego)(slightly modified to fit my needs!)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Thread Information