Thread: dial indicators

1. #1 dial indicators 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    What are you guys using? I've seen the Harbor Freight ones for like $10, and then others for several hundred. I know HF stuff isn't always super high quality, but for setting gears will the HF stuff suffice?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

2. #2 Re: dial indicators 
    i know quite a few folks using the ole hf unit and having success with the gear setup.. you can always "verify/calibrate" the cheap-o with something of a known thickness ect, IMO the tolerance on backlash is enough to justify using a cheaper dial indicator to setup

3. #3 Re: dial indicators 
    yeah I've always used one of the harbor freight ones with good luck. I actually just got my hands on a nice one so I can compare some measurements between the two to see how accurate. I'm not worried though, I feel the HF is fine and I've done all sorts of gearsets (5-6 9"s, 8.8, 14b, HP60, couple D44s, and a D30)
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

4. #4 Re: dial indicators 
    cant wrong with the good ole harbor freight. I use em at work on the manual machines because if they get knocked off the rail, drop onto a table, or manage too get crushed between a 3 ton part and the floor (dont ask) Im only out 10 bucks. I can hold .0005 with the harbor freight just as good as i can with my .5" travel $170.00 Mitutoyo that reads in tenths
    2005 Ford F150 STX 4.6L Auto Daily / Tow Pig
    1996 Jeep GC Laredo 4.0L Auto Mud toy / wrench slut

5. #5 Re: dial indicators 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    I have been grabbing several old but high quality tools off Craigslist it lately. I much prefer the better older tools than HF. I just got a 1/4" blue point die grinder for $40, around $125 new. Just keep looking and you will be surprised what pops up. I use one of the 'search all Craigslist' for a US base as they are going to ship anyway.
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
    “The great object is that every man be armed.” -Patrick Henry

6. #6 Re: dial indicators 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    Frankly the typical range for gear set up is pretty wide compared to the tollerance of the HF quality dial indicator. You are also dealing with heavy steel gears and axle shafts where all you need to measure is a range of a high rolling mass. Basically for gears no problem at all.

For more precise situations with lighter materials and a closer range of movement, I think the HF dial indicator does not move in and out smoothly enough to be accurate.

I prefer to buy US made tools. But not always practical. I have used my HF indicator on several locker installs. No problems.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

Thread Information