Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

96 ZJ Beater 5.9 46re Clayton LAs

Thread: 96 ZJ Beater 5.9 46re Clayton LAs

1. #1 96 ZJ Beater 5.9 46re Clayton LAs 
    I'm copying and pasting from another forum to get it up to date.

I picked up a 96 ZJ earlier this week for $2300. 5.2, auto, 242, 7" Clayton long arm, snorkel, ARB bumper, rock sliders, worn 34" Swampers and for some reason both diffs are still open. It def needs some TLC, but every option still works including the A/C and there is virtually no rust. I'm new to modding ZJs so any input or advice is appreciated.

Immediate plans are stick new rod and main bearings in it this week. It doesn't knock but looses oil press at idle and I've already tried replacing the op sensor. Install a SYE (I'm not sure if the rear driveshaft is longer than stock, but it def does not have a SYE and driveline vibes are very minimal, who knows.), stick a Spartan or Aussie in the rear, OTK steering, possibly swap a hp30 up front, more armor and skids, new tires, lights etc.

It will def be a never ending project, but I'm excited that for the first time ever I have a dedicated off road rig. I plan on keeping it street legal, but its not gonna be daily driven.

Crappy cell pics.

Loading it up to bring it home.

In my garage.

Sitting next to my friends Rubicon.

I decided to wash it.

2. #2 Re: 96 ZJ Beater 5.9 46re Clayton LAs 
    I stuck bearings in it and I'm not happy with the oil pressure. I think someone ran it low on oil and I think the cam bearings are bad.
    I came across a brand new 5.9 crate motor for $500. I'm putting it in next week along with a 46re trans that I got from a 5.9 Limited. I bought all new mounts, gaskets, hoses, etc along with the few parts I need to make the 5.9 work.

I also made a copy of KOR's rad support. I stuck an electric fan on it, along with a yellow top battery. I've spent countless hours fixing dumb stuff, making junk yard runs to replace missing items like rear seat belts and "derigging" things that the previous owner had done. I trimmed the front wheel wells a bit, and installed some Bilstein 5100s.

A pic of the shocks that were on the front next to the 5100s. They were definitely limiting my travel.

A few poser skid loader trailer flex shots I took when I was done hauling my machine and wanted to see what the ZJ would do. It has more travel to go. Not too shabby for my 4 door grocery getter.

3. #3 Re: 96 ZJ Beater 5.9 46re Clayton LAs 
    I got the 360 and 46re installed today. I still have a few small things to finish but I was driving it tonight. Its nice knowing that I have a brand spanking new motor under the hood now and got rid of the junk 44re. I went a little overboard on the project but I wanted to replace everything while it was easy and while I had it apart. New waterpump, t stat, hoses and clamps, rad, mounts, gaskets, plugs and wires, cap and rotor, crank sensor, balancer, flex plate, fluids and filters, etc. Basically a sh!t load of money.

I installed a pair of Hella 500FF driving lights with 100w bulbs on the front bumper and a set of JKS quicker discos on the front. I'm picking up some used 35's tomorrow to get me by for an inspection.

I have to order new steering setup, mine is completely junk and something is bent or not right with it. When I turn to the right the TRE where the tie rod and drag link meet hits the steering stabilizer bolt and rubs on the bottom of the pass side disco.

I installed an extra alternator I had laying around from my 97 Cummins. Its rated for 120 amps, compared to the 90 amps of the ZJ. I also mounted up some 35 12.5 KM2s I picked up today from DMG.

Here are 2 pics I snapped today real quick.

4. #4 Re: 96 ZJ Beater 5.9 46re Clayton LAs 
    My next mods are new steering setup and maybe KOR brace, a SYE and a new rear driveshaft and stick a locker in at least the rear. My wishlist seems to be endless.

5. #5 Re: 96 ZJ Beater 5.9 46re Clayton LAs 
    Senior Member MallCrawlin Supporter
    Looks like a good start man welcome to MC eat shit and have a nice stay.
    93 ZJ long arms, 35's, F/R Long arms, 4.56 gears, and a bunch more
    98 5.9 slate gray 4" lift with stuff (sold)
    96 ZJ Lift, Long arms, 35's and a bunch of other shit! (RIP)
    [ IRONMAN 4X4 FAB ] [ RACELINE WHEELS]

Thread Information