1. #26 Re: TOTM: Winches 
    Quote Originally Posted by dyn0mitemat View Post
    and I'll never give warn another dollar
    why not?
    95 ZJ | Clayton 6" | 8.8 | HP30 | 4.88s | Aussie F/R | 242 SYE | 35 MTZs

Paragon ♠ Tellico ◊ Big Dogs ♣ Rausch Creek ♥ Moab ♠ Rubicon

2. #27 Re: TOTM: Winches 
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel City ZJ View Post
    It's hard to imagine that it wasn't rigged with Warn being a big sponsor of the magazine and website.
    not surprised, big money talks.
    95 ZJ | Clayton 6" | 8.8 | HP30 | 4.88s | Aussie F/R | 242 SYE | 35 MTZs

Paragon ♠ Tellico ◊ Big Dogs ♣ Rausch Creek ♥ Moab ♠ Rubicon

3. #28 Re: TOTM: Winches 
    I have an old Ramsey 8000# winch with wire cable. It's slow, but it's always worked. Would faster line speed be a benefit? Maybe. I've wheeled with people with Warn 8274s and their line speed is wicked fast, but in the end my Ramsey gets the stuck stuff unstuck just as well as the Warn does. The only issue is when pulling under power it's easy to run over the cable. Just have to stop once you're not stuck any more and unhook.

Ditto on all the safety stuff. I always wear gloves when winching and direct people to stay behind cover.
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

4. #29 Re: TOTM: Winches 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    I need to get a winch on the ZJ, and thinking about one for the trailer too. Would probably cheap out a bit on the winch for the trailer, really would only use it to pull the M416 up on the deck and it's only 1500lbs. But if I ever had to pull a dead rig up the winch would be nice. Could use a rig with a winch and a snatch block too if I needed.

I've been leaning towards the M8000 for the ZJ, but unsure if it would be enough winch for the ZJ and M416 if we had them both.

5. #30 Re: TOTM: Winches 
    What are the pros and cons to the inline winches and the traditional winches?

6. #31 Re: TOTM: Winches 
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudz View Post
    why not?
    Spent big bucks on one and had it die on first pull, only to have warn tell me I'm SOL and they wouldn't warranty it. And I've seen too many die to feel comfortable running one
    98 ZJ - Build hd44/88, 35s, long armed, locked, blah blah blah...
    Build thread

7. #32 Re: TOTM: Winches 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Whats the benefit / downside to and or min for pull capacity(gvwr)?
    12k 10k 9.5k 9k 8.5 or 8k or less?
    "ZJ's were designed with the intention to take 1 really good hit, and fold up. As long as the occupants walked away, it was a success. In the wheeling world, we expect our vehicles to take multiple really good hits, drive out of it, and run the obstacle again!"

8. #33 Re: TOTM: Winches 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    General rules of thumb:
    Winch capacity -- shoot for about 1.5-2 times the vehicle's loaded weight. So a 5000lb rig, should look for a 8000-10,000lb winch. I've seen 8k winches work just fine with a ZJ.

Rope/cable capacity -- Most ropes/cables supplied by manufacturers exceed the winch's capacity by a few thousand pounds. I run 5/16" synthetic rope (12.5k capacity, IIRC) on my 9k winch without issue. Although for synthetic, going to 3/8" certainly wouldn't hurt anything except perhaps make me run a shorter line to get it all to fit on the drum. You have the same issue going overkill with metal cable, but I'd imagine it'd have a bigger weight penalty.

Snatch block/tree saver/D-ring -- at least twice the winch capacity. In theory if your winch can pull 9000lbs, it can do about 18000lbs in a fully redirected pull -- which is the force the snatch block/tree saver/D-ring are going to see.

Basically, you want the winch itself to be the "weak" point. If a winch exceeds its capacity, it just quits pulling. If anything else exceeds its capacity, shit goes flying.

Also, keep in mind that more layers of rope/cable also means a lower capacity. Fully spooled up my 9k winch only has a 6.5k capacity, but has a 9k rating on the last (innermost) layer -- which is probably why most manufacturers suggest the use of a pulley block when exceeding 2/3 of the winch's capacity.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 03-09-2012 at 11:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thread Information