Thread: motorized gooseneck trailer dolly

1. #1 motorized gooseneck trailer dolly 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Anyone seen one? I could get my trailer in the backyard if I had something smaller than my truck to move it with. I've seen some for bumper pull trailers, but not sure how hard/easy it would be to adapt to a gooseneck. I was thinking some kind of 3 wheel device with 2 fixed wheels with one being the drive wheel, and a steering wheel with a handle attached for steering and maneuvering. Speed controls would also be attached to the handlebars.

For my needs this would need to be somewhat of an all terrain vehicle, as the area I would be using it in is dirt and rock.

Not sure what I would use for a motor, but I had thought about putting a battery on the trailer itself for a winch, so it would be easy to use that for power, or even run it off a 110v extension cord since I'll always be using it at my house where 110 power will be easy to get to.

Any ideas?

2. #2 Re: motorized gooseneck trailer dolly 
    Do you have a riding lawnmower? Honestly...I've seen it done before
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

3. #3 Re: motorized gooseneck trailer dolly 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    If my yard was big enough, I certainly would. My lot is about 1/4 acre, but I can mow it with a push mower in under 10 minutes, and we'll probably be getting rid of 1/3 of the existing grass when we build a shop. So we might eventually get one, but if I can build some crazy contraption for substantially less than a riding mower I might do that, but if it's going to cost as much as a riding mower, might as well just do that.

4. #4 Re: motorized gooseneck trailer dolly 
    How about a cheap 4 wheeler or golf cart? Just build a cage around it with a ball on the top.
    Brian
    99 WJ - 6" lift w/ Claytons, 231, 4.56, 44 Front, Locked 44a, Custom bumpers, 35 KM2s, Spyderlocks

5. #5 Re: motorized gooseneck trailer dolly 
    Friend uses his Trike to move his goose neck trails around in his back yard and job. Seems to work fine.

6. #6 Re: motorized gooseneck trailer dolly 
    Dave I have the same problem/plan but thankfully have a smaller trailer that isn't a goose. I have a pretty weird idea I think I am going to try. I'll post up if I follow thru with it. Gotta spec out some parts first. The production trailer movers are expensive and not good for rough terrain. Mine should be cheap and ideal for offroad.

7. #7 Re: motorized gooseneck trailer dolly 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

8. #8 Re: motorized gooseneck trailer dolly 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    Dave I have the same problem/plan but thankfully have a smaller trailer that isn't a goose. I have a pretty weird idea I think I am going to try. I'll post up if I follow thru with it. Gotta spec out some parts first. The production trailer movers are expensive and not good for rough terrain. Mine should be cheap and ideal for offroad.
    Yeah my old 16' trailer could almost be moved around by hand, 24' goose . . . not so much. This mover looks like it could do well in rough terrain: http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showt...atest-creation

9. #9 Re: motorized gooseneck trailer dolly 
    I saw a pic where a guy had a front mount hitch reciever on a short SUV(older Toyota Landcruiser?) and had a bar that came straight out maybe 6" and then up 2 or 3 feet with a ball on the top. Used it to push his GN trailer into the back yard. Would only work with a lighter trailer on a fairly level surface. Otherwise I imagine the hitch would fold over.

I would be tempted to build out forward at a 45* angle like a super long stinger and then brace it back.
    1998 5.9er, 6" Claytons Long arm, D30(elocker), Rubi D44 rear, TJ Addco rear sway bar, WJ knuckles/brakes, 4.10s, 33s, 9.5ti

'93 ZJ LTD, 5.2L, Claytons Longarm, 8" lift D44 front(w/elocker), D60 rear(welded), 37" IROKS, 5.38s, 9.5ti<scrapped>

10. #10 Re: motorized gooseneck trailer dolly 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    I would think a used self power snow blower could be moded. Everything there but the ball. Move handle to the front and disco the blade and go. Same for a tiller.
    Last edited by ZJ TINS; 03-20-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
    “The great object is that every man be armed.” -Patrick Henry

Thread Information