Thread: Offroad trailer metal size

1. #1 Offroad trailer metal size 
    Pretty slow at work and have been drawing up ideas for offroad trailers. One thing I am trying to decide is what size metal to use on the frame of the trailer. I have seen people go with 2x2 and 2x3 both in 3/16". Looking at why going one way would be better than the other or if it would even matter. And if it matters, it will be similar in design to this one. http://www.adventuretrailers.com/horizon.html
    Brian
    99 WJ - 6" lift w/ Claytons, 231, 4.56, 44 Front, Locked 44a, Custom bumpers, 35 KM2s, Spyderlocks

2. #2 Re: Offroad trailer metal size 
    96 4.0 ZJ, 4.5in RE coils with Teraflex arms, Yukon gears, ARB front bumper, 33x12.50 M/TR's, homemade OBA setup....

97 with stuff....

3. #3 Re: Offroad trailer metal size 
    Should have taken an engineering class or two

It really depends on how much weight you're going to put on the trailer and how it will be distributed in front and behind the axle. For example, if you want to put a dirt bike on the back, that will produce a huge cantilevered load and you'd want the 2x3 or even an I beam because it has a larger bending moment of inertia. Conversely, if you don't plan on a ton of weight on the back, you can go with a smaller beam or aluminum to save weight and make your trailer efficient to tow.
    I collect Jeeps.

The Polar Bear Build on Mall Crawlin
    The Polar Bear Detailed Build

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

4. #4 Re: Offroad trailer metal size 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    I was pretty surprised at how thin the metal is for the frame on my M416. Might even be 1/8, not 100% sure, but it's 2"x4" C-channel for most of it.

What are your goals for this trailer? Are you looking for just a trailer to haul your gear, or a base camp type thing with an RTT? I'm bored at work today too, so I'm all about BS'ing about trailers today!

5. #5 Re: Offroad trailer metal size 
    Quote Originally Posted by downtowncb View Post
    Should have taken an engineering class or two

It really depends on how much weight you're going to put on the trailer and how it will be distributed in front and behind the axle. For example, if you want to put a dirt bike on the back, that will produce a huge cantilevered load and you'd want the 2x3 or even an I beam because it has a larger bending moment of inertia. Conversely, if you don't plan on a ton of weight on the back, you can go with a smaller beam or aluminum to save weight and make your trailer efficient to tow.
    Ya, didn't have to take an engineering class for turf management major.

No hauling a dirtbike and would like to try to keep the load fairly even. This will be strictly for expedition type trips with the WJ. I thought about aluminum but have never welded any so that is my only worry unless I can get my hands on a TIG welder and get good really quick.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    I was pretty surprised at how thin the metal is for the frame on my M416. Might even be 1/8, not 100% sure, but it's 2"x4" C-channel for most of it.

What are your goals for this trailer? Are you looking for just a trailer to haul your gear, or a base camp type thing with an RTT? I'm bored at work today too, so I'm all about BS'ing about trailers today!
    Going to be a more of a base camp type trail. Want to put in a water tank (probably 25 gallons), sink, shower, rooftop tent, etc, the usualy things. And going to be adding a fridge to the WJ and would likely keep it there and not try to fit it to the trailer but thinking of adding a battery system to the trailer.

I was thinking of a 3500lb axle with electric brakes and do a leaf spring suspension. For specs, probably around a 4x6 main box, maybe slightly smaller so the frame would be roughly that size. Kind of thinking 2x3 pieces would make up the frame, 2 supports running in the middle and a 2x2 running down the center through those 2x3 that has the hitch on it if that makes sense. Also, do a couple 45 degree pieces on the front.

I am thinking very similar to the adventuretrailers.com horizon model with the side boxes and everything.
    Last edited by GraKee99; 01-09-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    Brian
    99 WJ - 6" lift w/ Claytons, 231, 4.56, 44 Front, Locked 44a, Custom bumpers, 35 KM2s, Spyderlocks

6. #6 Re: Offroad trailer metal size 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Nice, sounds pretty similar to our setup with the M416 plus a few more amenities. I definitely think putting the fridge in the Jeep is a good idea. We've had a cooler in the trailer before, and it was a disaster. The trailer doesn't ride nearly as smooth as the Jeep does, no matter a basic leaf spring suspension or the fancy AT suspension.

You're definitely on the right track with the axle as well with the electric brakes and going with a much stronger axle than the actual weight of the trailer.

If you can find an M416 on the cheap, starting there could save you some time. I picked mine up for $350, but they typically go for over $1,000 in the condition I got mine. If it weren't for the price I paid for mine, I would've built my own.

If you want to check mine out next time you're down, let me know. I can show you the SPOT at the same time too.

7. #7 Re: Offroad trailer metal size 
    I think being able to access the fridge would be easier in the jeep than the trailer too. I have been looking at the ARBs because of the moniter system it has that won't kill batteries. Even though I will be switching to dual batteries, I still want peace of mind.

Do you think there is a better design to do with than leaf springs? I have seen some coil spring set ups but I just wonder how much benefit I would get from it.

I have been looking for M416 but can't seem to find anything cheap enough. I think when it comes down to it I would almost rather design it myself. I am just picky about everything so I know I would change to much stuff and the cost wouldn't be worth it.

And sure, would like to see both sometime so I will let you know when I come down.

And do you have the pintle for the trailer? Thinking of going with this. http://www.locknroll.com/
    Brian

Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    I've been leaning towards the ARB for the fridge too. And in the rig its certainly easier access when still on the trail.

AT is very proud of their suspension, but with it being a trailer the suspension is really only going to do so much before it pivots on the coupler to the tow vehicle.

I've been using the pintle on mine, and its okay. Certainly very capable performance wise, but it is a bit loud. I may revamp it with something else as I'm considering redoing the tongue to an adjustable length setup for better performance and still being able to fit it on my trailer.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

9. #9 Re: Offroad trailer metal size 
    I have been looking at AT suspension set up and think I am just going to go the route of leaf springs. It is easier to set up and much simple so if something breaks, it would be an easier fix. And that makes sense that the trailer will pivot before the suspension.

Guess all there is to do now is start collect parts.
    Brian

10. #10 Re: Offroad trailer metal size 
    If you are looking for a military surplus type trailer to use as your platform, as Mr. BigDaveZJ has, check out govliquidation.com. They typically have a good selection of cargo trailers up for bid. Depending on your proximity to a military base it may be worth a shot...or I may be wasting your time, we shall see. Oh they also have the option to ship to your location
    Last edited by jds1012; 05-02-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Thread Information