Thread: Expo trailer suspension questions

1. #1 Expo trailer suspension questions 
    I'm thinking of building a little camping trailer to throw a roof top tent on, could be a good winter project.

I've already got some ideas for the size I'd like to build the trailer, and would like to keep it lower to the ground than most expo trailers, I've been looking at torsion axles to help accomplish this.

After browsing a bit, I haven't concluded whether torsion axles or leafs are the right way to go.

Anybody have some knowledge on the subject? I'm also unsure if brakes are necessary. I can't see this trailer weighing over 15-1600 FULLY loaded.
    Neil R.

93 318 ZJ, HP30, 8.8, 4.56, 35"s, tube.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    WTF? A unibody won? Did they build a mall at the finish line or something?

Funniest thread on MC

2. #2 Re: Expo trailer suspension questions 
    As long as your brakes aren't already overloaded, you should be okay. 35s on mostly stock ZJ brakes might be pushing it though (don't remember if you've upgraded or not there).

Torsion axles would obviously be good for ground clearance over a beam with the same size tires. I don't know if it's a real concern, but a beam-axled trailer seems like it would be easier to drag around should the suspension fail.
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

3. #3 Re: Expo trailer suspension questions 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Ted_Z's Avatar
    Torsion axles don't hold up, I used a 3500# with brakes on leaves. (If I had to do it again I would have used air bags, but that's another story.) Personally I think using a braked axle is cheap insurance. The issue with torsion axles is that they can "walk" out of the pivot tubes and there is no way to trail fix that. A busted leaf can be lashed/strapped back together if need be.
    -Ted Z
    '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ stuff
    '02 Grand Cherokee Limited w/ less stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    everytime someone makes a bumper with a stinger, God kills 6 baby Koala's.

4. #4 Re: Expo trailer suspension questions 
    I have used both and the torsion is a weaker setup. If you can afford it build a trailing arm setup with airbags and shocks, otherwise a solid beam with leaf setup with shocks works great as well.
    96 4.0 ZJ, 4.5in RE coils with Teraflex arms, Yukon gears, ARB front bumper, 33x12.50 M/TR's, homemade OBA setup....

97 with stuff....

Thread Information