Thread: TOTM: 4.0L power mods

1. #1 TOTM: 4.0L power mods 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    Most of our Jeeps came with the ol' 4 oh and most of us want more power. If you aren't ready for a V8 swap, extracting more power/torque/throttle response out of your straight six may be the way to go.

So, what are the good, cost effective ways of getting more out of the engine?
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

2. #2 Re: TOTM: 4.0L power mods 
    Stroking the 4.0 is a good option buuut not very cost effective..

99+ intake is cheap
    Upgrade injectors.
    Bored Throttle body
    Port and polish intake and exhaust ports
    shorty head gasket from mopar performance
    exhaust mods..

i'd ported and polished my 4.0, 99+ intake with bored TB and upgraded injectors.. runs damn good IMO.. i think others would agree.

the single cheapest and most effective mod was the port and polish although its hard to say if that would have made much of a difference without the intake and tb mods.

3. #3 Re: TOTM: 4.0L power mods 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    Here are my observations on the mods I have done to my 2001 4.0 WJ.

first mod was a KN filter. Did not do much except I like the idea of being able to clean it and not have to replace the element.

Second mod was a cat back type system. I basically had a Deltaflow type muffler and 2.5 inch exhaust installed after the Cat. This did improve highway performance and mileage to a small degree but was noticeable. I now have a Cherrybomb and 2.5 inch pipe. The glasspack style muffler made a larger improvement and sounds better. The previous turbo style muffler never sounded right to me.

Third was a Fastman 63mm bored throttle body. - This made a definate improvement in highway power and a bigger improvement with mileage. Go figure bigger bore and better MPG. I was able to maintain highway speeds climbing the mountain passes on I70 - pretty much at will with 32 and 33 inch tires and running 4.10 gears at the time.
    However I still had some transmission gear hunting and suffered some pulling my pop up camper on hwy 285.
    I now have 4.56s and the mods listed above. I can climb drive anywhere at will at or above highway speed in the Colorado rockies with no gear hunting. I can also pull my camper on the 285 passes at the speed limit. I have not pulled my camper on I70 with the 4.56s but suspect it will be better than before but feel some of the passes will be under the speed limit.

Is it a race car? no way. However I am not the one in the slow lane and that is all the matters to me.

I feel with the 99 and newer 4.0s it does take the combination of the intake/filter, TB and Exhaust to make a decent change in power. Gears are just as important. I liked the 4.10s with 32 inch and smaller tires. 33s need 4.56s and I suspect 35s would be best suiited with 4.88s. It seems the 4.0s powerband range is best suited with the correct gearing more than other engines I have had.

I know that the 99 and newer 4.0s in the WJ have several differences over the previous 4.0s. Intake manifold has larger smoother bores, exhaust manifold mimicks a header than a typical cast manifold, ignition uses coil packs rather than a distirbutor and the CPU has a wider threshold with better abiltiy to adjust to air/fuel mixture changes. The WJ 4.0 also comes with a larger volume water pump.

Remember to keep your cylinders inline with the 4.0 to go.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

4. #4 Re: TOTM: 4.0L power mods 
    The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    My 4.0 is pretty decently modded. It's hard to say what made the most substantial difference because I went from a basically stock motor straight to one that has a bunch of work done to it. The 4.0 doesn't breathe worth a shit in stock form so anything you can do to improve that will help. My list of mods includes a 99+ intake manifold (gasket matched/ported), head work (valve grind, port/polish), a good exhaust (banks header - ported, 2.5" mandrel bent the whole way out), and an improved cam (comp 68-232-4). Plans are to add a bored TB (on the way), upgrade the injectors (to the style with the improved hole design), possibly do something with the air intake, and look into having it tuned. In hindsight if I could change one thing, I would've had the head decked to bump up the CR a bit.

5. #5 Re: TOTM: 4.0L power mods 
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
    My 4.0 is pretty decently modded. It's hard to say what made the most substantial difference because I went from a basically stock motor straight to one that has a bunch of work done to it. The 4.0 doesn't breathe worth a shit in stock form so anything you can do to improve that will help. My list of mods includes a 99+ intake manifold (gasket matched/ported), head work (valve grind, port/polish), a good exhaust (banks header - ported, 2.5" mandrel bent the whole way out), and an improved cam (comp 68-232-4). Plans are to add a bored TB (on the way), upgrade the injectors (to the style with the improved hole design), possibly do something with the air intake, and look into having it tuned. In hindsight if I could change one thing, I would've had the head decked to bump up the CR a bit.
    I should also add that I'm running a hotter ignition system with platinum plugs that the gap is opened up on...

6. #6 Re: TOTM: 4.0L power mods 
    yeah what they said, mine:
    port polish head
    LS1 valves (intake and exhaust)
    port match head to intake and vice versa (including gasket)
    99+ intake swap
    polish runners of 99+ intake
    grind down ports of 99+ intake on all 6 ports to make them equal on the area around the injector boss
    22.5lb (or 23lb I can't remember right now) injectors @49psi
    Hesco adjustable FPR @49PSI
    Crane multispark ignition system
    2.5" mandrel from the exhaust manifold back
    had a banks header but that cracked 2x, so now I have the ebay special with the flex joints on 1&6 and can't tell the difference between the two
    turbo city intake (will modify it soon, maybe to cooler air in front of windshield cowl)
    60mm TB
    62mm TB spacer (only b/c I got it CHEAP)
    Carsound OBDII high flow cat
    Magnaflow (will change to a custom one I'm building in future)
    thats all I can remember right now.

soon:
    taurus fan = I dyno proved that a fan clutch in "max thermal lock" (not locked solid) can pull IIRC 12hp at the ground.
    further:
    4.7L - 4.9L stroker dunno what route I'm taking yet, but at least custom parts are in the mix.
    Last edited by DJJordache; 09-08-2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: added more spex
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

7. #7 Re: TOTM: 4.0L power mods 
    This is a TOTM, really? jk Ryan thanks for doing a great job with these.

My 4.0 "power" story is pretty simple. I ported and polished the head on my 4.0, swapped in a thinner mopar performance head gasket, and did my best to port match the original zj (non 99) intake to my ported head. Just those nearly free mods, combined with an existing k&n cone filter, homebrew intake and a decent exhaust system with a header that wasn't cracked made it run so much better. The biggest difference was that it wanted to rev and did a better job of staying in the mid-high rpm band even while spinning four heavy 40" LTBs on rough surfaces that would bog the motor down before.

I still like the 4.0 for its simplicity and durability (we have rolled and flopped rigs with 4.0s in our regular wheelin group many times without any damage). Ultimately I swapped mine for a 6.0 but if I had to go back to a 1994 Jeep motor I would swap the 4.0 back in long before a 5.2. It deserves a lot more credit than it gets so I'm eager to see where this thread goes with guys like ajmorell and djjordache who really know 4.0 performance posting up.

8. #8 Re: TOTM: 4.0L power mods 
    oh yeah forgot about my brothers XJ that we built
    4.7L Stroker
    Ross racing custom made pistons to keep the CR stock.
    port polish head
    Mopar 5.9 valves (intake and exhaust) (same size as LS1 but stock diameter stems)
    port match head to intake and vice versa (including gasket)
    99+ intake swap
    polish runners of 99+ intake
    grind down ports of 99+ intake on all 6 ports to make them equal on the area around the injector boss
    5.0 motorsprts 24lb injectors
    Hesco adjustable FPR
    Borla long tube header that has been modified to have a 3" collector
    3" mandrel from the exhaust manifold to the cat & muffler that has dual 2.25" outputs to mandrel dual out
    ARB snorkel that we actually measured some "ram-air" effect at speed (measured by repeatable changes in vacuum)
    modified stock airbox to allow the snorkle and more airflow.
    68mm TB from a 4.7L dodge/jeep v8
    custom TB spacer if you can call it that, but it's really an adapter plate for the intake 4bolt to the TB 3 bolt mounting
    opened up intake hole to 70mm for the new TB size.
    4" custom airhat to allow more airflow into the TB but allow the hood to still close.
    Custom made adjustable MAP sensor mod
    Carsound OBDII high flow cat
    Magnaflow (will change to a custom one I'm building in future)
    Custom mod to the TPS to work with the new TB and the Renix system on the XJ.
    Flowmaster super40

thats all I can remember off the top of my head right now.
    Last edited by DJJordache; 09-08-2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: added more spex
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    We're all insane here...

9. #9 Re: TOTM: 4.0L power mods 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    DJjordache, any ideas on how much power either of the those two 4.0s are putting out? Torque or Horsepower?

I saw a 4.6 stroker light up 33s in 1st and second on a YJ. Not just a chirp, lightem up baby. Lots of torque with the strokers.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

10. #10 Re: TOTM: 4.0L power mods 
    I'll have to look up the HP TQ on the XJ when I get home later.
    but on my ZJ the link in my sig shows dyno's and my final result was at the engine (calculated drive train loss) HP: 227 / TQ:256.
    I do know that the before and after on the stroker was a dyno proven gain of 51%HP and 60%TQ. But I'll dig around for the final numbers.

Here is more info on that Stroker XJ:
    FYI some things have been redone since this post back in 2005, exhaust is now mandrel, different cam and lifters (crane sucks)
    http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=382042
    We're all insane here...

11. #11 Re: TOTM: 4.0L power mods 
    Anyone here have experience with 505 performance cam kits?

12. #12 Re: TOTM: 4.0L power mods 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    ATL ZJ, did you see any gas mileage change with your mods? Seems like everything you did should make a more efficient air pump but I wonder if it did any good in the mileage dept.

I have an extra head and I plan on porting and polishing and match transitions. I sure could use some better gas mileage.

Any recommendations on tools to use, not use, techniques?
    Last edited by ZJ TINS; 12-10-2012 at 10:40 AM.
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
    “The great object is that every man be armed.” -Patrick Henry

13. #13 Re: TOTM: 4.0L power mods 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZJ TINS View Post
    ATL ZJ , did you see any gas mileage change with your mods? Seems like everything you did should make a more efficient air pump but I wonder if it did any good in the mileage dept.

I have an extra head and I plan on porting anf polishing and match transitions. I sure could use some better gas mileage.

Any reccomendations on tools to use, not use, technichues?
    I used a dremel with a grinding wheel on it when I did my intake manifold. I had the head done by the shop, so I don't know what they used. I imagine a pneumatic die grinder would be about perfect.

14. #14 Re: TOTM: 4.0L power mods 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZJ TINS View Post
    ATL ZJ , did you see any gas mileage change with your mods? Seems like everything you did should make a more efficient air pump but I wonder if it did any good in the mileage dept.

I have an extra head and I plan on porting anf polishing and match transitions. I sure could use some better gas mileage.

Any reccomendations on tools to use, not use, technichues?
    Mileage probably was better. It was difficult to measure since my rig was 100% trail duty at that point, saw very little use over 40mph and I didn't have a speedometer/odo. I did notice slightly less throttle was required climbing some of the mountains around here on access roads. It ran a lot better but it was still a 4.0.

I bought a cheap HF abrasive set for a dremel and used pretty much the entire thing on the head. It worked really well and only took a few hours to port/polish. Go slow and read a few guides to porting before you start. They are all over the web.

My only other advice is to clean everything extremely well after porting (obviously). It is also a great opportunity to get out the parts cleaner and wire brush and clean up a lot of the brackets, fasteners, etc that tend to collect grime.
    Last edited by ATL ZJ; 03-09-2012 at 07:50 PM.

15. #15 Re: TOTM: 4.0L power mods 
    Hesco supercharger!!

Thread Information