Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Wheeler Lake 8/27/2011

Thread: Wheeler Lake 8/27/2011

1. #1 Wheeler Lake 8/27/2011 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Had a good group up there yesterday, 2 ZJ's, 3 WJ's, a WK, and a TJ. Weather was typical for Wheeler, started out great, rained at the top for a bit, and then was awesome the rest of the trail, until the drive home at least.

Ken and I stuck around at the top for a bit and managed to catch one more fish. There were plenty of 'em up for there for sure, you could see 15-20 of them swimming around by one of the inlets. Our camping buddies got yelled at again too. They ended up heading back down right as we got done fishing and were running parallel to the trail about 15 feet off it. They apparently got the "hint" and got back on the trail. But they still managed to leave a bunch of crap at their campsite. I noticed out of state plates too, maybe IL, hopefully they just stay there next year.

We didn't take too many pics but here's a few.

First obstacle

V Notch

Coming back down

I heard some chatter on the CB too on our way back down, sounded like John and Keith, something about a bent housing? Were you guys talking about Jeff's rear axle or did someone else have some issues pop up?

2. #2 Re: Wheeler Lake 8/27/2011 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    Dave, nice pics it was fun!

Keith and I must have been talking about Vern's two HI9 failures. Just wondering if it could be a bent housing or if that axle just can't take Vern's 35's, 5.9L and big heavy Grand. I think Vern was going to switch it out to a low 9 set up. That would cure it for sure.
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

3. #3 Re: Wheeler Lake 8/27/2011 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoulderCO View Post
    Dave, nice pics it was fun!

Keith and I must have been talking about Vern's two HI9 failures. Just wondering if it could be a bent housing or if that axle just can't take Vern's 35's, 5.9L and big heavy Grand. I think Vern was going to switch it out to a low 9 set up. That would cure it for sure.
    Unless it is a bent housing. I have thrown it out but he refuses to believe it is bent.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

4. #4 Re: Wheeler Lake 8/27/2011 
    Fantastic trip, thanks to everyone! It was good seeing Dave and Pam, John, Jeff and Keith again, and it was good meeting Ryan and Tom. Maudie really enjoyed talking to everyone, and learned a lot about what our vehicles can do. He's excited and nervous to get his WJ on some easy trails to start.

I have a couple of pictures

Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

5. #5 Re: Wheeler Lake 8/27/2011 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    We had a great time on Saturday. Great group to wheel with. Wheeler is one of the most scenic trails around and it never dissapoints with the weather. You get all 4 seasons in the same day up there.

Back to Vern's 9 inch. I do wonder if the housing is bent, however it would seem that with a 9 inch carrier that a bent housing would cause more axle shaft breaks than RnPs. I dunno. I think an Hi9 brand carrier should fit his housing and axles ok and perhaps he should consider buying one of them with the True 9 inch gears in it. Or go with a LP and move on. Sucks that he has had that many problems. I have had my Currie HP 9 with a detroit since 2005. I am on 33s and have the 4.0 compared to the 5.9 with 35s. But Currie claims 37 inch tires and 400 hp with the HP 9 carrier and 31 spline alloys.
    Last edited by Mtn WJ; 08-29-2011 at 11:57 AM.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

6. #6 Re: Wheeler Lake 8/27/2011 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Great pics all - wish I could have made it. Definitely one of my favorite trails!
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

Thread Information