Thread: "Video" instead of pics from Chinamans Gulch 8/21/11...

1. #1 "Video" instead of pics from Chinamans Gulch 8/21/11... 
    PitBull has put together Video of the group...I think video beats the still pics.

Last edited by mud duck; 09-24-2011 at 07:56 AM.

2. #2 Re: Few pics from Chinamans Gulch 8/21/11... trip cut short at Whales tail . 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    Is the tree on the drivers side of the rock garden completely gone now?
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

3. #3 Re: Few pics from Chinamans Gulch 8/21/11... trip cut short at Whales tail . 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mud duck View Post
    I took 29 attempts at Whales tail ,and finally made it...reason why so many attempts was I found my rear had a tad more flex than I thought and I dropped the coil...23 times of 29 attempts ...
    1) You actually kept track of the exact number of attempts it took?

2) Why didn't you just cut up a ratchet strap or something similar and ghetto rig up limit straps? That's what we did with Jim's WJ a couple years ago after he was popping coils at GSSE.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

4. #4 Re: Few pics from Chinamans Gulch 8/21/11... trip cut short at Whales tail . 
    No there were trees there you just can't see them through the Jeep ...I know their there b/c before I hoped up on the rocks at the top I was sitting in the gap and pulled in my mirror to keep from losing it on the tree .

5. #5 Re: Few pics from Chinamans Gulch 8/21/11... trip cut short at Whales tail . 
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    1) You actually kept track of the exact number of attempts it took?

2) Why didn't you just cut up a ratchet strap or something similar and ghetto rig up limit straps? That's what we did with Jim's WJ a couple years ago after he was popping coils at GSSE.

No ...lol...I did not count ,but the dude putting it back in did , and it would not have fallen off had the retainer on the axle pad been tight and did not let the coil loose , But there is only about 1 inch of coil in contact with the guide at full drop ,which is not really enough because if bouncing hard it will probably fall off...We were going to strap the axle ,but since we had so many people right there it was easier to just put it back on ...I plan on just sleeving the rear bump tower with tight fitting tube and extending it 5 inches and adding a bump stop on the axle pad this will stop my tires just b4 they rub and allow me to run 5 inch longer shocks...which will be all the travel it needs... currently I got 45 inches of 1 wheel travel with these 40 inch boggers and with new shocks I should get close to 50 , which is more than I need ,But it's there to easily have ,so why not .

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin

We were in a large group and it was getting late ,so everyone turned around after Whales Tail...I took 29 attempts at Whales tail ,and finally made it...reason why so many attempts was I found my rear had a tad more flex than I thought and I dropped the coil...23 times of 29 attempts .

29 attempts on one obstacle? I would've been a bit pissed if I was in a group behind you or even in your own group. If it's a large group or a busy day on the trail, 3 tries then it's time for the easy line or a strap. If you're real close to making it and it's not too busy there's some leeway in the 3 strikes, but damn man 29 attempts?

7. #7 Re: Few pics from Chinamans Gulch 8/21/11... trip cut short at Whales tail . 
    I plan on just sleeving the rear bump tower with tight fitting tube and extending it 5 inches and adding a bump stop on the axle pad this will stop my tires just b4 they rub and allow me to run 5 inch longer shocks...which will be all the travel it needs... currently I got 45 inches of 1 wheel travel with these 40 inch boggers and with new shocks I should get close to 50 , which is more than I need ,But it's there to easily have ,so why not .
    Stability is better than a pointless amount of droop, with droop becoming more or less pointless after the coil unseats. A stupid amount of droop will also let your tires fall into holes they would otherwise ride over. Sometimes it's better to lift a tire than have it anchor itself 3' down in a hole, especially if it can't get much traction because it has no real weight on it. Just a few things to think about.

x2 or whatever on the trail plug thing. It sucks being stuck behind the guy because his ramp champ keeps falling apart. No offense intended, of course.
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

8. #8 Re: Few pics from Chinamans Gulch 8/21/11... trip cut short at Whales tail . 
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    29 attempts on one obstacle? I would've been a bit pissed if I was in a group behind you or even in your own group. If it's a large group or a busy day on the trail, 3 tries then it's time for the easy line or a strap. If you're real close to making it and it's not too busy there's some leeway in the 3 strikes, but damn man 29 attempts?

29 attempts ,but our group were the only rigs there ,and those attempts were approved of by the group I think Seth may have tried more times before his flop on it ,and then tried again after winching back on all 4 ...All in all every attempt I was climbing it , but the coil just kept popping out every time...other than the coil the obstacle is fairly easy , And looks rather silly under the Big XJ .

9. #9 Re: Few pics from Chinamans Gulch 8/21/11... trip cut short at Whales tail . 
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    Stability is better than a pointless amount of droop, with droop becoming more or less pointless after the coil unseats. A stupid amount of droop will also let your tires fall into holes they would otherwise ride over. Sometimes it's better to lift a tire than have it anchor itself 3' down in a hole, especially if it can't get much traction because it has no real weight on it. Just a few things to think about.

x2 or whatever on the trail plug thing. It sucks being stuck behind the guy because his ramp champ keeps falling apart. No offense intended, of course.

Well it seems to work holding pace with the coil overed truggies that run in the groups I go with ...did just that today ,but the XJ did not break , But the truggy did thanks to a low pinion 60 , however our HP 60 kept the drive shaft safe ,and was driven by a 1st time wheeler ...my younger bro who not only has never driven my rig ,but never wheeled 1x in his life , And I'm the worlds worse spotter ...But the Ramp Champ seemed to run over everything we put in front of it , and only stopped flogging it because it sprung an oil leak , and we wanted it to drive home since I did not trailer it ...I've been wheeling since before Dave worked at Sears in South West Plaza ...lol...My rig works well , And it has run 9-9+ rated trails prior to the Coil Conversion ,but it just so happens CMG was the first fairly real trip out after the changes ,and well I guess you've never had issues with a highly modified rig in the dial in stage ?...There are Better Rigs ...But unfortunately in Colorado this XJ is one of top dogs in the XJ/ZJ/WJ crowd still having Full bodies that can run 9+ rated trails and really do the lines , But I'm always down to get a group together and run a trail with someone from out of state who wants to show /go rather than just internet Web wheel and bench race ...I-70 head west young man...lol.

10. #10 Re: Few pics from Chinamans Gulch 8/21/11... trip cut short at Whales tail . 
    Easy there killer. I was not saying your rig is not capable. I only said ramp champ because you want even more droop when the coils already fall out and don't have limit straps - I didn't say that your XJ does not work. You asked why not after all

I'd love to head out west to wheel, but my rig is currently in pieces and I'll be lucky to have it together for GSMW.
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

11. #11 Re: Few pics from Chinamans Gulch 8/21/11... trip cut short at Whales tail . 
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    Easy there killer. I was not saying your rig is not capable. I only said ramp champ because you want even more droop when the coils already fall out and don't have limit straps - I didn't say that your XJ does not work. You asked why not after all

I'd love to head out west to wheel, but my rig is currently in pieces and I'll be lucky to have it together for GSMW.
    Oh yeah I know that feeling ,as this has seen more shop time than trail time this summer , And come fall it will be comming out of commision until next spring/summer to get the next round of bank account assaulting upgrades ...hopefully this next round will be the last of the big spending on it with an Atlas 4spd/ Alloy Usa /CTMs/ hybrid cage/ Crane Knuckles...and some other misc stuff , Maybe Coil overs if money permits after that other stuff since I will make provisions for them with hoops in the cage , Which reminds I need to make a decision on the Atlas so I can get it ordered soon since thay take months to get .

12. #12 Re: Few pics from Chinamans Gulch 8/21/11... trip cut short at Whales tail . 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    ...I've been wheeling since before Dave worked at Sears in South West Plaza
    And yet somehow your grammar and sentence structure has gotten worse since your days on JU.

Did we work together at Sears or something or should I be worried about having a stalker??

13. #13 Re: Few pics from Chinamans Gulch 8/21/11... trip cut short at Whales tail . 
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    And yet somehow your grammar and sentence structure has gotten worse since your days on JU.

Did we work together at Sears or something or should I be worried about having a stalker??

stalke,r that's an ambitious persons role , And I'm to lazy for that ...You sold me a dremmel back in 2002 when I still had a ZJ it was only on 33's , And somehow since then have turned what was a low-ish cost hobby into a non stop spending spree .I remembver you because you came out and we talked Jeep for about an hour while as we looked at each others ZJ's ...then you were I think on 30's or 31's , And I'm not sure how you fit in that truck ...lol

Thread Information