Thread: Installing distributor into new engine and setting base timing- 5.9L

1. #1 Installing distributor into new engine and setting base timing- 5.9L 
    I'm putting a new engine into my 5.9 project. Its got some goodies like cam,intake,injectors, etc. I've got the engine into the Jeep and I have installed the dist drive gear into my new engine with the engine a TDC, compression, #1 and pointed at the front left intake bolt as per the factory manual.

How do I set base timing? I know that timing advance is computer controlled but how do I set the base timing? Just line up the #1 tower on the cap with the rotor and let the computer do the rest? Or is there a way to fine tune it more?

The FSM talks about using a DRB to dial it in. Apparently the cam sensor in it controls the fuel sync. Anyone here ever R&R a distributor?

Anyone know what scanners will do it? Specifically can the old Snap on MT2500 scanners do it? They are fairly cheap to buy now.

Thanks!
    1998 5.9er, 6" Claytons Long arm, D30(elocker), Rubi D44 rear, TJ Addco rear sway bar, WJ knuckles/brakes, 4.10s, 33s, 9.5ti

'93 ZJ LTD, 5.2L, Claytons Longarm, 8" lift D44 front(w/elocker), D60 rear(welded), 37" IROKS, 5.38s, 9.5ti<scrapped>

2. #2 Re: Installing distributor into new engine and setting base timing- 5.9L 
    Ended up setting the engine to TDC and dropping the dist in so that it was pointed at the front driver's intake bolt as per the factory manual. This let me get the engine running and I fine tuned it by ear. Drove it like that for 6 months before I found a good deal on a higher end scanner(OTC Genisys) that had the capability to set the base timing. Turns out it was off quite a bit. Setting it with scanner resulted in smoother idle and a bit more power.

MPG still crappy though.
    Last edited by cLAYH; 06-22-2012 at 11:31 PM.
    1998 5.9er, 6" Claytons Long arm, D30(elocker), Rubi D44 rear, TJ Addco rear sway bar, WJ knuckles/brakes, 4.10s, 33s, 9.5ti

'93 ZJ LTD, 5.2L, Claytons Longarm, 8" lift D44 front(w/elocker), D60 rear(welded), 37" IROKS, 5.38s, 9.5ti<scrapped>

3. #3 Re: Installing distributor into new engine and setting base timing- 5.9L 
    Why the fuck is this in drive train?

4. #4 Re: Installing distributor into new engine and setting base timing- 5.9L 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Cuz the engine is part of the drivetrain?? And why bump an almost 3 month old thread just to bitch about what forum it's in?

5. #5 Re: Installing distributor into new engine and setting base timing- 5.9L 
    Johnstown Pa, home of all the major floods
    Quote Originally Posted by cLAYH View Post
    Ended up setting the engine to TDC and dropping the dist in so that it was pointed at the front driver's intake bolt as per the factory manual. This let me get the engine running and I fine tuned it by ear. Drove it like that for 6 months before I found a good deal on a higher end scanner(OTC Genisys) that had the capability to set the base timing. Turns out it was off quite a bit. Setting it with scanner resulted in smoother idle and a bit more power.

MPG still crappy though.
    question for ya. i just rebuilt my 5.9 last fall and put it in the jeep. since the day i put it in i cannot for the life of me get it to rev over 3500 RPM. i have been trying to narrow down what the hell is wrong with it but it is really starting to try my patience. so far i have redone the timing 3 different times to make sure it is as the book states to do it, i have replaced the fuel pump and filter, cleaned out the fuel lines, installed new 4 hole injectors, replaced the Mas airflow sensor, cleaned the K&N filter and i still cannot get it to rev over 3500 RPM. at this point i am ready to try a new cap and rotor. is there something that needs reset in the computer by chance with a new (rebuilt) motor? someone told me it sounds like the computer is in limp mode or something, any of you know anything about that? i am at a loss and getting real tired of dumping money into this thing and not having any effect on it. when it hits 3500 RPM it seems to fall on its face but anything under 3500 it sounds great and runs great. any help would be appreciated.
    98 5.9L, 2" BB, 30" BFG AT/KO, k & N FNPK2, brush guard with KC slimline lights, taillight guards, magnaflow exhaust, 8.8 racing plug wires, MSD coil pack.

2012 JKU Rubicon

91 S10 with 400 hp, 35" baja claws, dana 300 w/ 4:1, dana 60's almost ready to go in.

2011 Ram Hemi tow rig

6. #6 Re: Installing distributor into new engine and setting base timing- 5.9L 
    Sorry just saw this post today. Did you figure it out in the end?

How did you set the distributor? You can get it close by ear but need a higher end scanner to get it right on.

7. #7 Re: Installing distributor into new engine and setting base timing- 5.9L 
    First, are there any fault codes showing. Second, if I were guessing, I would suspect the cam pick-up which is under the distributor rotor. It would throw a fault in most cases. Another thing to check is your crankshaft position sensor (specificly, the gap to the flywheel.) Either case should be showing a at least a P0300 fault.

Food for thought since a 5.9 is all we have to go on, and assuming it's a 98' since that was the only year said engine was available.

Thread Information