Thread: Edumacate me on some welders

1. #1 Edumacate me on some welders 
    So I'm getting tired of borrowing my friends shit to weld stuff. I'm not the greatest welder but I do want to get started and get better.

What I'd like to build is bumpers (tube & plate), longarms and other fun stuff I can think of and I have to be careful of burning through the unibody.

So I was looking around at some different welders & info and I'm still unsure on if a 110 welder like the Hobart 180 will be good for what I want to build. Or if I should get a 220 welder like the miller 211 (110 or 220) and just wire it in my house so I can use it.

So my questions to you "experts" are what would be a good starting welder that I can do the things I want?

And what other tips do you guys have for welding to a somewhat beginner?

Thanks gents

Steve
    Last edited by PaperTowels; 08-18-2011 at 04:45 PM.
    Steve

Go big and go broke

2. #2 Re: Edumacate me on some welders 
    Senior Member MallCrawlin Supporter
    Don't get anything that is just 115. I think a few of the 211's are now both 115 and 230. But really you will be fine with a 180. My buddy just got then new Miller 211 and it has a bunch of auto functions as well as the ability to wire it to 115. But he'll use it in the 220 mode. Really can't go wrong with a Hobart, Miller, or the like. My Miller has infinite control on the adjustments, while some others just click on one setting (1, 2, 3, 4) www.cyberweld.com was a good place to shop I thought. That's my brief recomendation.
    www.grandslamsoutheast.com
    SOLD: 98 ZJ, 6" Long Armed, Locked 33" MTR, HP 9" and HP D30
    My Build Thread
    94 YJ, tons and 40s, no leafs, 5.3/4L60e
    04.5 Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4, Smarty Jr

Yeah I keep hearing that 110 welders are good for what I want and then they suck and I should get a 220 welder.

I'm just confused on which one you fellow unibody guys use.
    Steve

Go big and go broke

4. #4 Re: Edumacate me on some welders 
    even a 220 volt welder can be turned down to weld unibodies perfectly fine. I've been using my miller 175 (which is 220v) for 6 years now and haven't come across a single project it hasn't been able to tackle.

Tips for welding thin metal/unibodies:
    -actual MIG (with gas) is MUUUUUCH nicer for welding thin metal than flux core is
    -.024 (or .025), .030, and .035 are the 3 most common diameters of wire you'll come across when purchasing. The thicker the wire you're running, the hotter you'll be burning it to get a nice bead (which makes sheetmetal harder). I almost never use .035 as it's generally overkill, .030 is a good all around wire that's still so-so on sheetmetal, and .025 is perfect for sheetmetal up to about 1/4" plate. You have to move a little slower with the thinner wire to build up enough heat in thick plates, but it gives you more control over everything
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

Thread Information