Thread: Ford 9" - Drums or convert to Disks?

1. #1 Ford 9" - Drums or convert to Disks? 
    Well I finally destroyed my D30 front axle and I am looking to do the HP44 front & Ford 9" rear.
    I like the 9 over the 8.8 but have heard that there may be a problem with equalizing the brake pressure running Disks in the front and Drums in the back.

I usually spend a couple of days on the pavement at 75 mph to get to Utah, Arizona, or Colorado to do my wheeling and then spend a considerable amount of time offroad going down steep grades with sometimes 800 lbs of camping gear. With the 4.56 gears in the past and Power Slot Rotors this has not been an issue but even though I will end up with larger Disks in the front and 4.88s or 5.13s, I am still wondering just how good the drums will be in the rear. Especially if the fluid pressure balance is off between the front and rear.

Has anyone had any issues with this or even general advice on the planned upgrade would be welcome.
    Thanks,
    Woody
    '96 ZJ 5.2L Ltd, RE 5/6 Lift w/Clayton LAs fr, NP231HD TC w/SYE,
    Tom Wood's DS, Chro Moly Axles, 4.56, Detroit TT/Aussie Locker,
    BFG 32" MT, etc.
    '98 ZJ 5.9L Ltd, DD

2. #2 Re: Ford 9" - Drums or convert to Disks? 
    Just match the master cylinder and proportioning valve to whatever you end up with. Drums work great so long as they are properly set up and maintained, relatively dry, and you don't mind a couple extra pounds per corner (as long as you're talking 1/2 ton parts). Most problems come from the wrong MC/ valve, lack of maintenance, and submersion in water/ mud. A big plus is that the built-in emergency brake that is easily adaptable.

Otherwise, 9" disk conversions have been covered at length.
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

3. #3 Re: Ford 9" - Drums or convert to Disks? 
    I would never run drums on any dd or crawler if im building a axle. Just get a adjustable proportioning valve from jegs or speedworld and convert to disk brakes. It is a easy swap and if you search you can get all the parts you need at a decent price.

4. #4 Re: Ford 9" - Drums or convert to Disks? 
    I swapped my 9' over to disc and am happy with my choice. I used TSM for a bolt on bracket, Looking back I would have gone with a weld on bracket had I know I was going to drop off the axle for full welding. I am using the eldorado calipers great choice if you want to use your ebrake. Went with CPP for the calipers and was only like $100 off ebay.
    Will

99 4.0 DubJ 35"MTRs/ Custom IRO LA's/ Currie 9" housing/ Yukon 4.88 Gears 35 spline Grizzly Rear Lockers and ARB Front.

The Hookup Build http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12701

5. #5 Re: Ford 9" - Drums or convert to Disks? 
    disk brakes on a rear 8.8 is a direct swap on a 9''. backing plate and calipers.

6. #6 Re: Ford 9" - Drums or convert to Disks? 
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepzer View Post
    disk brakes on a rear 8.8 is a direct swap on a 9''. backing plate and calipers.
    That isn't 100% true. It will swap onto a 9" w/ torino ends. It doesn't work with the Older style big bearing ends. So be cautious when picking the 9" if you want to use the 8.8" disc brakes.
    Will

99 4.0 DubJ 35"MTRs/ Custom IRO LA's/ Currie 9" housing/ Yukon 4.88 Gears 35 spline Grizzly Rear Lockers and ARB Front.

The Hookup Build http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12701

7. #7 Re: Ford 9" - Drums or convert to Disks? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    For the sake of clarification, and beceause I am going blind looking into disc brakes for my 9 w/o brakeing the bank, is the "new style big bearing" the torino ends?

I am likeing the 8.8 brake Idea if this is true.
    01 WJ

8. #8 Re: Ford 9" - Drums or convert to Disks? 
    Rawr Lifetime Supporter jfowlzj95's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fluxcap View Post
    For the sake of clarification, and beceause I am going blind looking into disc brakes for my 9 w/o brakeing the bank, is the "new style big bearing" the torino ends?

I am likeing the 8.8 brake Idea if this is true.
    It has been a while since I've gone through this link, but it might have what you're looking for. Just do a page search for "Torino". If anything you can measure the bearing sizes and compare with the site.

http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

Not sure what your budget is or how you want to set up your discs but when I did the brakes on my 9" I just used some weld on brackets from Ruff Stuff, Chevy 3/4 calipers, and F-150 rotors. I don't remember exact cost but it wasn't too much. Downside is not having an e-brake, but I have heard you can use El Dorado calipers if you want an e-brake.
    Last edited by jfowlzj95; 12-07-2012 at 08:17 AM.
    Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    07 Cummins Fire Truck, it tow.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

9. #9 Re: Ford 9" - Drums or convert to Disks? 
    I used TSM for a bolt on bracket, Looking back I would have gone with a weld on bracket had I know I was going to drop off the axle for full welding. I am using the eldorado calipers great choice if you want to use your ebrake. Went with CPP for the calipers and was only like $100 off ebay.

Thread Information