Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

TiAg ZHP - Page 2

Thread: TiAg ZHP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #26 Re: TiAg ZHP 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    Are you doing new control arms or just the bushings? Pressing those bushings in/out is not worth the hassle IMO. I love that shifter kit, looks stout.
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

2. #27 Re: TiAg ZHP 

I bought part #6 whole, some Meyle HD versions instead of OEM replacements. Just unbolt, pull them off the control arm, push the new ones on, bolt back up. Apparently with a little soap or similar the new ones go on pretty easy, pulling the old ones off usually requires a clamp or puller but isn't supposed to be THAT bad.

3. #28 Re: TiAg ZHP 
    wait a minute... i missed something... you sold or wrecked the first one and got another?

4. #29 Re: TiAg ZHP 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    If the bushings are difficult to remove use a sawzall to cut the inner shell that surrounds the aluminum arm. That will let is slide off pretty easily. To install the new ones, clean the aluminum and add a little lubricant and they should pop on fairly easily. I always used spray silicone but I'm sure some soap would work well too.
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

5. #30 Re: TiAg ZHP 
    Quote Originally Posted by zjeepin View Post
    wait a minute... i missed something... you sold or wrecked the first one and got another?
    I wrecked it. Like a douche.

Quote Originally Posted by rstrucks View Post
    If the bushings are difficult to remove use a sawzall to cut the inner shell that surrounds the aluminum arm. That will let is slide off pretty easily. To install the new ones, clean the aluminum and add a little lubricant and they should pop on fairly easily. I always used spray silicone but I'm sure some soap would work well too.
    Roger, thanks for the tips! I need to get around to this. Noticeable "pop" on sharp brake inputs. Pretty worn out.
    Last edited by paulkeith; 01-24-2012 at 10:00 AM.

6. #31 Re: TiAg ZHP 
    Senior Member MallCrawlin Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by paulkeith View Post
    I wrecked it. Like a douche.
    Well that sucks. But were you having fun with it at the time? Do you miss coming home from a wheeling trip with a bunch of new dents in the rig and not caring?
    www.grandslamsoutheast.com
    SOLD: 98 ZJ, 6" Long Armed, Locked 33" MTR, HP 9" and HP D30
    My Build Thread
    94 YJ, tons and 40s, no leafs, 5.3/4L60e
    04.5 Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4, Smarty Jr

7. #32 Re: TiAg ZHP 
    hate to hear that paul... hope to hear that you were having fun when it happened at least

8. #33 Re: TiAg ZHP 
    Quote Originally Posted by zjeepin View Post
    hate to hear that paul... hope to hear that you were having fun when it happened at least
    Nope. Fucked up in traffic and stuffed it into a minivan. Biggest error I've ever made on the road SA wise and it bit me HARD.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearce View Post
    Well that sucks. But were you having fun with it at the time? Do you miss coming home from a wheeling trip with a bunch of new dents in the rig and not caring?
    Yeah, that feeling was one of the reasons I got rid of my M3s back in the day, hated having to be worried 24/7, anytime i wanted to carry stuff, whatever. Now that I have the F-250 for days like that I'm much happier with the setup.

Hope I can talk the wife into a project soon - thinking a lot about another CJ.

As far as activity, I just ordered a motive power bleeder (with adapters for the 250 and 4runner too) and some ATE super blue fluid. Needs to be flushed badly, I also hope it will firm up the pedal a little.

I'm also playing around with lighting and bulb color a little bit, trying some yellow fog bulbs and "flash to pass" (inner headlights on bmws) bulbs.

These are bixenon headlights, so the true high beams are actually just shutters that raise the cutoff of the low beams. As a result, the inner bulbs do nothing but flash when you pull the high beam stalk the other way.

installed:

FTP only:

FTP w/ fogs (learned fogs stay on w/ FTP if only parking/fog lights are on):

xenon low + FTP (here you can see the fogs turned off...):

xenon low + fog:

bixenon highbeams:

I'm slowly learning how to code the modules in the car with BMW factory software, called NCS Expert. It will allow me to adjust certain behavior, in particular i'm interested in setting it up so that my fogs stay on with my high beams, and that the halogen inners also come on with the bixenon highs. I'll be working on that this weekend, along with another euro-spec lighting retrofit called "city lights." Just replaces your corner lights as parking lights with 5W bulbs in those inner lights. Have to install the bulbs themselves (provisions are there), run the wires, and code the lighting module accordingly. Really all pretty superficial stuff from what we're used to around here, but fun to mess with and not too invasive or expensive.
    Last edited by paulkeith; 02-08-2012 at 07:03 PM.

9. #34 Re: TiAg ZHP 
    So, this "special" version of the 330i (called the ZHP) differs from a base 330i motor in 2 ways - ECU programming, and camshafts.

Because these cams have a higher lift, they tend to wear out the helical gears used to control variable valve timing. This creates a harmonic vibration from 2-3000 RPM called "VANOS rattle." VANOS is BMW's name for their variable valve timing system - pistons controlled by oil pressure to move helical gears that then adjust the timing of each cam:

Beyond that, the o-rings BMW used to seal the pistons to their bores were buna-n....poor selection for the op temps, so they plasticize and get brittle, seal poorly. results in poor control of the cam, therefore loss of torque and flat spots in the torque curve. This problem is universal to any VANOS.

So since both of these are super common problems, o-rings for every VANOS, and the rattle for all ZHPs, there are kits out there to fix both. I bought one for $120:

o-rings...for the o-rings, those metal rings for the rattle part:

and here are the install pics:

This was my first wrench session using my new craftsman portable automotive service tray. I don't know how I lived without this thing:

VANOS unit closeup...not super happy with the sludge, guess the previous owner took those 15,000 mile change intervals to heart. not the worst i've seen by any means...

removed:

on the bench:

pulled apart:

one of the two pistons with the o-rings cut out:

intake piston disassembled:

exhaust piston disassembled (the ring 2nd from the left is what gets replaced to eliminate the rattle):

reassembled:

also flushed the brake fluid with some ATE superblue. first time using a motive power bleeder, yet another product i dont know how i lived without:

10. #35 Re: TiAg ZHP 
    also swapped to a shifter that mimics one of BMW's WTCC cars

11. #36 Re: TiAg ZHP 
    i think you should mount those shocks in double shear dude, its just not safe otherwise...

12. #37 Re: TiAg ZHP 
    baha

I could probably run a bracket down from whatever that big round thing is just above and behind it

13. #38 Re: TiAg ZHP 
    Be sure to Pre and post heat....

14. #39 Re: TiAg ZHP 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    Looking good dude! I've never seen the VANOS pulled apart.
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

15. #40 Re: TiAg ZHP 
    Went back to the leather wheel and leather knob to keep things interesting.

16. #41 Re: TiAg ZHP 
    Wanna race??

www.grandslamsoutheast.com
    SOLD: 98 ZJ, 6" Long Armed, Locked 33" MTR, HP 9" and HP D30
    My Build Thread
    94 YJ, tons and 40s, no leafs, 5.3/4L60e
    04.5 Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4, Smarty Jr

17. #42 Re: TiAg ZHP 
    race? fuck that.

LETS HOOK EM UP BO

18. #43 Re: TiAg ZHP 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Jeep Whore's Avatar
    Pearce you might do better in your YJ
    _______.00000. << ---Mine------____.____.
    //_|__l__,\____\,___---Dads>> /l __,[____],_
    l_--\__\__l---\[]llllll[]| -----------l--|_|-L-OllllllllO-
    (o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ----------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    Glws = good looking wagon sir

19. #44 Re: TiAg ZHP 
    race? fuck that.

LETS HOOK EM UP BO

Now that would be redneck! RWD vs FWD, scarry

edit: HA! nice signature change above!

20. #45 Re: TiAg ZHP 
    All BS aside, i love that gen TL. It would have been a contender to fill the BMW's spot if they were RWD.

The headlights are about as good as they get too.

How do you like it?

21. #46 Re: TiAg ZHP 
    The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    The ZHP looks nice man.

All BS aside, i love that gen TL. It would have been a contender to fill the BMW's spot if they were RWD.

The headlights are about as good as they get too.

How do you like it?
    I love those gen TL's too. I looked high and low for a type-S when were looking at cars for my wife but couldn't find a reasonably priced one anywhere around.

22. #47 Re: TiAg ZHP 
    It's freaking awesome. I had an ulterior motive when my parents were looking to buy new back in 2004. Setting myself up for the right sedan purchase 8 years later. Worked perfect. It's quick, goes way faster than I should drive it and way to easy, rides like a sports car and has a little growl to it. There is very little to improve upon it except maybe upgraded sway bars to Type S ones. And a small exhaust mod. But, I did't buy it to do that, LOL. Tempting, VERY tempting. I went car shopping with my parents this year and drove all the new stuff with them in the same class. I still like this 2004 TL better.

Oh the HID Projector Headlights are by far the best I've ever experienced. The absolute only way to go for a headlight upgrade. I've already found how to put them in the Dodge, but that would take away from the Jeep money.
    Last edited by Pearce; 11-16-2012 at 05:35 PM.

Good to hear. I've never really heard a bad thing about them. I'm trying to do what I can to leave the zhp alone too beyond cosmetics and mx - just want to pound pavement with the thing.

Yeah those projectors are extremely popular for any retrofits, especially in the BMW crowd. Check out lightwerks or lightwerkz or something - they have a few kits that I think are based off the tl projector.
    '02 F250 7.3L 6spd 4x4 Leveled, 285s, chipped.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thread Information