Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
TOTM: Seats and Harnesses

Thread: TOTM: Seats and Harnesses

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 TOTM: Seats and Harnesses 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    A lot of us have moved passed stock seats and seatbelts for performance and safety reasons. What do you think is the best set-up? What brand seats are you using, how much did they cost you, what do you like/don't like and what are the advantages over stock equipment? What about correct belt routing and mounting along with belt and connection style?
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

2. #2 Re: TOTM: Seats and Harnesses 
    Senior Member MallCrawlin Supporter
    This should be very helpful to me!
    93 ZJ long arms, 35's, F/R Long arms, 4.56 gears, and a bunch more
    98 5.9 slate gray 4" lift with stuff (sold)
    96 ZJ Lift, Long arms, 35's and a bunch of other shit! (RIP)
    [ IRONMAN 4X4 FAB ] [ RACELINE WHEELS]

3. #3 Re: TOTM: Seats and Harnesses 
    Stock seats are a joke if you are going to do any kind of wheeling. Their shortcomings are mostly in the comfort and safety departments. They can be tough to clean too.

I have spent many a trailride sitting on my corbeau baja standard width seats and I'd recommend them. I opted for black vinyl which seems to have been a good choice. I parked my rig outside and uncovered for a couple years and with the top chopped, the seats have spent a lot of time holding water. That water rotted the seams so now they are due to be replaced. Still, even with massive tears and weathered padding, they're incredibly comfortable to drive and wheel on.

I'll let someone else chime in on belt routing- there are a few correct ways and it's advisable to not deviate too much from them. The main points are to mount your shoulder straps about shoulder height or higher (I'm approximating) and to run a sub strap to keep your lap belts down in proper position. I didn't use to run the sub strap and about a year ago, I started to and it has made a huge difference without causing much discomfort. I expected it to be really uncomfortable just because of where it goes, but it hasn't been bad at all.

4. #4 Re: TOTM: Seats and Harnesses 
    How about wider seats? I know most suspension seats are meant for you scrawny MFers , but what about for bigger guys like me?

5. #5 Re: TOTM: Seats and Harnesses 
    Quote Originally Posted by BigClay View Post
    How about wider seats? I know most suspension seats are meant for you scrawny MFers , but what about for bigger guys like me?
    and me not all of us can be like Tyler!

6. #6 Re: TOTM: Seats and Harnesses 
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    Stock seats are a joke if you are going to do any kind of wheeling. Their shortcomings are mostly in the comfort and safety departments. They can be tough to clean too.

I have spent many a trailride sitting on my corbeau baja standard width seats and I'd recommend them. I opted for black vinyl which seems to have been a good choice. I parked my rig outside and uncovered for a couple years and with the top chopped, the seats have spent a lot of time holding water. That water rotted the seams so now they are due to be replaced. Still, even with massive tears and weathered padding, they're incredibly comfortable to drive and wheel on.

I'll let someone else chime in on belt routing- there are a few correct ways and it's advisable to not deviate too much from them. The main points are to mount your shoulder straps about shoulder height or higher (I'm approximating) and to run a sub strap to keep your lap belts down in proper position. I didn't use to run the sub strap and about a year ago, I started to and it has made a huge difference without causing much discomfort. I expected it to be really uncomfortable just because of where it goes, but it hasn't been bad at all.
    X2.
    I wheeled stock GC seats for years, and recently upgraded to Corbeau Baja SS's (Standard width). Night & Day difference. Super comfortable and keep you from sliding around. I know somebody will say "But I run full belts with my stock seats and it holds me in place." Not even a comparison.
    In order to properly route my belts, I didn't run them through the slot in the backrest. The slot was way too low. I ran them over the top and haven't had an issue. The more they break in, the more comfortable they get.

My main motivation for getting them was safety. I finally said to myself, "Is it going to take somebody getting hurt in my truck for me to invest in safer seats?" Once somebody screws up their back due to cheap seats, it's too late.

The only downside is that people want to sit in your truck and not get out.
    I bought mine through RPMOffroad, through pirate. $350 on my door for the pair. That's pretty tough to beat.

7. #7 Re: TOTM: Seats and Harnesses 
    Quote Originally Posted by biggoofy View Post
    and me not all of us can be like Tyler!
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    The password is newbgasm.
    www.crawlerready.com
    "For The Truly Addicted!"

8. #8 Re: TOTM: Seats and Harnesses 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    I posted this in the other thread, but figured that it would be good here, too. I modified it slightly based on the comments, but here goes:

In terms of harnesses, any brand that's SFI certified (which is basically any harness you buy from virtually any racing store) would work. If you have any racing buddies, they may have a set of harnesses that's already expired. As long as they aren't frayed, they should be more than sufficient and they'd probably get rid of them relatively cheap. That's how I got my set of harnesses.

The important things to consider:

• Latching mechanism. The cam-lock style is nice, but it can build up with mud -- which may not be a big deal until you start wheeling without doors. I prefer latch and link not only for price, but the fact that they seem to latch easier in muddy environments.
    • I'm a bigger guy with wide shoulders, so I prefer 3" shoulder belts, but some skinnier folk prefer the 2" shoulder belts. So you might want to take that into consideration.
    • I'm not a big fan of the "wrap-around" style of mounting. If the belt is able to slide across the tube, it's possible that the belt can move after a bunch of jostling around and actually loosen up the harness -- not really what you want in a rollover. The belts aren't going anywhere with a bolt on style mount. That said, some folks do prefer wrap-around style -- just make sure that you use tube clamps or something to prevent the belts from sliding. You can also supposedly triple weave the belt so that it gets tight enough to where it doesn't move.
    • Always keep your belts on an empty seat connected. This will not only prevent them from flopping around, but also prevent the lap belts or shoulder straps swing out the side (again if you have no doors or tube doors), which makes them vulnerable to rocks or trees. I know this from experience so I will be getting new harnesses before I'm back on the trails. This could also help to deter any mud/dirt build up in a cam-lock style harness.
    • Most folks I know (including myself) prefer the "pull down" harnesses to tighten the shoulder belts. Again, this is a matter of preference, though.
    • I sound like a parent saying this, but wear the complete harness all the time while wheeling -- even on access roads and "easy" trails. Sometimes flops happen when you least expect it. Plus, I've noticed that a nice side effect of doing so is that I'm much less fatigued after a hard day of wheeling due to the fact that I'm not constantly being thrown around
    • I would recommend getting harness pads for the shoulders. SB406 has the "V" style harnesses and says that it rubs against his heck. I have the same problem with the H style harnesses as well.
    • You definitely want a 5 point harness instead of a 4 point. Installed properly, the sub belt should not be uncomfortable and it prevents the lap belt/shoulder belts from moving during a crash or rollover.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

9. #9 Re: TOTM: Seats and Harnesses 
    Corbeau Ultras. Believe it or not, the "regular" Ultras fit me very well and I don't need the the ultra-wide option (I'm a fattie -- 6' and ~300lbs, but I also apparently don't have as big of an ass as my waist size says I should). I've sat in the Baja SS's and they almost felt like a child seat to me. I couldn't easily get my butt seated between side supports, so I sat a bit high and eventually I nestled down into them. However, the seat back was very low. With the Ultras, my head was almost flush with the head rest -- which is a big deal because that would give me some nice padding for my head to slam into during a rollover.

I've been in a harness in suspension seats before as well as the stock seats. The stock seats aren't horrible (that is what I use now and they are somewhat comfortable), but they do not compare in any way, shape, or form to the comfort of being fully strapped into a suspension seat like the Corbeaus. They offer a LOT more side support to where it feels like you aren't going anywhere.

OverkillZJ had complaints about the vinyl on his Corbeaus retaining moisture and has recommended to me that I go with the cloth because it dries out much quicker.

Mastercraft, PRP, Beard, and Twisted Stitch are all other great options for suspension seats, but all of them are more expensive. In terms of normal trail riding, though, I've yet to hear a complaint about the Corbeaus not related to mis-use, so it's tough to go with anything else -- since it seems like the only way to know if you'll like a seat is to sit in it.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

10. #10 Re: TOTM: Seats and Harnesses 
    Being 6'8 its tough to find anything that fits me do you think the ultra's would work well for me?

11. #11 Re: TOTM: Seats and Harnesses 
    Supporting Vendor GSSW Planner
    MallCrawlin Vendor
    I have had racecraft suspension seats for around 6 years now. They are 2" wider than the standard seat suspension seats. they spend 4 years in my Bronco uncovered in the sun and after about 3 years the tweed they used was shot. I had them recovered by another local seat manufacturer a year ago and then threw them in the Jeep. The thing I hate about them is they are build for a Y style shoulder harness which is super uncomfortable. I should have had them redone for the H style shoulder harness when I had them recovered but I wasn;t thinking. I put them in the Jeep and until I build a cage I am using the stock seat belt. When I buy seats for the bronco it will be the same type of seat. I can find them for 160 a piece locally.
    Barbaric Suspension & Fab

KevinsOffRoad.com

12. #12 Re: TOTM: Seats and Harnesses 

I wrote this up and put it in a post build thread. Its info on how someone may want to mount the seats to the factory sliders.
    The seats are Twisted Stich WIDE version and the harnesses are from Crow.

I started off with a piece of 3/8 flat stock, and cut four

pieces and then put holes in the top corner.
    I then cut the angle so that when the flat stock was welded to it should
    fit in between the tabs on the seat.
    Welded them up and come up with two of these.

I did a little measuring and drilled the holes into the
    brackets so the electronic sliders would bolt right up. And although the bracket is not centered on the slider the seat is centered on the steering wheel.

Bolted it all up to the seat

And then put it in

Now for most the driver and pass will be the same, however
    since the ZJ has a pass drop D60, the tunnel is on that side. So there was no slider on the pass
    side and I came up with something different.

And the finished product

They acutally fit really nice, and I am pretty sure the doors would still close if there were any. Seats are nicely made and comfy.
    Last edited by jpeterson; 07-07-2011 at 02:12 AM.

13. #13 Re: TOTM: Seats and Harnesses 
    PRP's with PRP harnesses for me. They are local to me and I got a sweet cash deal.

I think the sliders from Poly are overpriced. Made my own, and will be mounted to the cage. Almost done...

14. #14 Re: TOTM: Seats and Harnesses 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    I mounted my Mastercraft Rubicon seats to the stock sliders in the same way that Jpeterson did. I would never go back to wheeling stock seats. I have had mine for 5 years or so...park outside with doors on most of the time and the seats are just like new. Did cloth rather than vinyl. Use the stock seatbelts for now as I don't have a cage. I will echo that at only 6' tall the harness would have to go over the seat and not through the slits in the seat to be in the proper location. They were about $400 to my door all those years ago.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

15. #15 Re: TOTM: Seats and Harnesses 
    I used to run the Beard enduro seats with Crow harnesses. The second best mod I had on the truggy. I am 5'8" 180lbs. and they fit great. After a long day on the trail I could actually walk when I got out of my rig
    Clint
    Rifle, CO
    98 ZJ Laredo 5.2L- long list of good stuff

16. #16 Re: TOTM: Seats and Harnesses 
    I was debating whether this was worth starting a new thread or not, but I'll add it to this since I don't know that there would be many posts here.

For those running aftermarket seats, can you please post of pics of people actually sitting in the seats with the following information?
    Seat Model (and any additional options -- extra tall, extra wide, etc.)
    Overall Height of Person Pictured
    Floor-to-top-of-head-height when sitting straight against a wall
    Weight or Basic Build
    Robot

17. #17 Re: TOTM: Seats and Harnesses 
    x2 on Fuego's questions.

In addition to that, what does everyone think about passenger seats. I am going to need the wide version of the seat, but what about the passenger seat? I would like to be able to ride shotgun and let someone else drive sometimes, so my thought is to get a wide version for the passenger as well. So, what are the forseen problems with a normal to small sized person riding the trails in a wide version seat?

18. #18 Re: TOTM: Seats and Harnesses 
    i've sat in some of the wide seats comfortably clay.. cobbie put a wide seat on the drivers side of his and a standard on the passenger.. looks a little goofy when the rig is empty but saved him a few bucks on the build side

19. #19 Re: TOTM: Seats and Harnesses 
    Thanks Trey.

20. #20 Re: TOTM: Seats and Harnesses 
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    I was debating whether this was worth starting a new thread or not, but I'll add it to this since I don't know that there would be many posts here.

For those running aftermarket seats, can you please post of pics of people actually sitting in the seats with the following information?
    Seat Model (and any additional options -- extra tall, extra wide, etc.)
    Overall Height of Person Pictured
    Floor-to-top-of-head-height when sitting straight against a wall
    Weight or Basic Build
    Bumpskies
    Robot

21. #21 Re: TOTM: Seats and Harnesses 
    I'm seriously considering picking up a set of baja ss's with my tax return (black vinyl/black cloth), is anyone having any problems with them? I set in some today at 4wheel parts and they felt awesome, but there were a few little rip in the stitching along the bottom of the seat. I'm sure thousands of people have sat in the ones on display, but still worried me a bit. I'd hate to spend the cash and then in a year have them start coming apart on me.
    98 ZJ - Build hd44/88, 35s, long armed, locked, blah blah blah...
    Build thread

22. #22 Re: TOTM: Seats and Harnesses 
    Ordered a seat of the Corbeau Ultras in wide. I will give a review once my fat ass sits in them.

23. #23 Re: TOTM: Seats and Harnesses 
    Ordered a seat of the Corbeau Ultras in wide. I will give a review once my fat ass sits in them.
    Any updates?
    The Steel City ZJ: Murdered Out with Steelers, Steelers, and more Steelers

www.militaryjeepers.com

97 ZJ 4.0, 5.5", Clayton's, Serious Off Road Products 1 Ton Steering, 242, 35" MT/R's with Kevlar

The seats came in, but I haven't been able to get over there and pick them up, hopefully pick them up this week and give them a sit test

25. #25 Re: TOTM: Seats and Harnesses 
    Cool.

Has anyone seen, purchased, or sat in the seats that Kevin sells? I heard that you can have them set up for harnesses if you call and ask when ordering.
    The Steel City ZJ: Murdered Out with Steelers, Steelers, and more Steelers

www.militaryjeepers.com

97 ZJ 4.0, 5.5", Clayton's, Serious Off Road Products 1 Ton Steering, 242, 35" MT/R's with Kevlar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information