Thread: Interesting alarm issues

1. #1 Interesting alarm issues 
    The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    Never had this happen before, nor have I done anything recently that I can recall that would cause this to happen. Basically the factory alarm just randomly starts going off. According to the neighbors (I was gone Thurs-yesterday) it goes off twice a day like clockwork, at around 2-3AM and then again around 7AM. It starts and runs fine, can't drive it right now simply because it's not back together.

It did go off this morning around 4AM, I went out there and disabled it by pressing unlock on the key fob and it was fine. I have the battery disconnected for now so it doesn't continue to wake the neighbors up but I don't want this to be a permanent solution. Any thoughts?

2. #2 Re: Interesting alarm issues 
    Probably a door switch or the alarm module shitting the bed.
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

3. #3 Re: Interesting alarm issues 
    I'll check into that. Just thought it was odd that it's been happening at more or less the same time every day.

4. #4 Re: Interesting alarm issues 
    I would think it is more temperature related than time. If you have a circut board delaminating or a sensor contact barely touching that little bit of thermal expansion/retraction due to temp changes will get at it. The time of day just relates to ambient temp IMO.
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

5. #5 Re: Interesting alarm issues 
    Senior Member it usually runs fine's Avatar
    The alarms will shit the bed, it has happened to us all. The best way to fix it is to ground it out and disable it. If you are interested in how to do that, post up and I will explain it, If you still need a functional alarm system its going to take some trouble shooting. Good place to start is making sure battery is good and then checking all connections near battery such as battery to chassis ground and engine block ground.
    Some girls don't like guys like me, but some girls do.

6. #6 Re: Interesting alarm issues 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner K2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeptech01 View Post
    I would think it is more temperature related than time. If you have a circut board delaminating or a sensor contact barely touching that little bit of thermal expansion/retraction due to temp changes will get at it. The time of day just relates to ambient temp IMO.
    Mine was temp. The hood would get hot and release enough so the switch opened. Happened only on hot days, I adjusted the hood and it worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by it usually runs fine View Post
    The alarms will shit the bed, it has happened to us all. The best way to fix it is to ground it out and disable it. If you are interested in how to do that, post up and I will explain it, If you still need a functional alarm system its going to take some trouble shooting. Good place to start is making sure battery is good and then checking all connections near battery such as battery to chassis ground and engine block ground.
    I know it is the purple and yellow wire, but which one do I ground. I mean where is it coming from/going? I did one and it put a drain on the battery and I had to keep getting a jump.
    02 WJ, Lift, dents, noise and smoke.

7. #7 Re: Interesting alarm issues 
    I ran the trickle charger on the battery last night, it was low but it may have been because the alarm was going on/off so much while I was gone. I don't need the alarm for anything anymore, the Jeep is just my beater now.

edit: and yeah it would be good if you'd quick explain grounding that out. I know I've read it in the past and could probably find it with a search but I'm lazy

8. #8 Re: Interesting alarm issues 
    Has anyone grounded out any of the door switches? I haven't really jumped into this yet but I'm pretty sure that is the culprit because lately the interior lights will flicker on/off as I'm driving.

9. #9 Re: Interesting alarm issues 
    I wanted to follow up on this for future reference. I pulled the door switches out on both rear doors yesterday and unplugged them. Issue seems to be fixed. I don't know which one it was nor do I care. FWIW, with the switches unplugged the lights do not come on at all with the doors open or closed now.

Thread Information