Thread: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #26 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    Don't get to go as much as I would like in recent years, but it was always in my DD (often GSE/GSW/GSMW in one outing). It still is my DD so if I do make it again next year, DD it is.
    Adam, 2001 Banana Boat

2. #27 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    I went to EJS 11'. Me and a friend of mine. They were both our DDs. I had no issues making the 2000 mile trek round trip. I broke a stock CV front drive line on something I new I shouldn't been doing on Top Of The World.

Him on the other hand got 20 miles from home, overheating. Dealt with it all the way to moab. I had to strap him in the last 30 miles to camp. (Day one) he threw ujoint cap out of his D30 axle shaft. (Day two) He broke front drive line on Hells Revenge. (Day Three) he bent both his stock UCA. On the drive home he threw ujoint caps out of both D30 axle shafts and dealt with Tcase puking fluid.

The moral of the story is, Make sure you maintenance is good before you go. He spent all his money on New parts and lockers down to the last minute. I spent money on maintenance to be sure of reliability. If its your DD, drive it like its your baby. Don't go crazy with the skinny pedal everywhere. Especially with a niner under the hood.

I didn't make EJS 12' but i decided to try GSW 12'. I hope to meet alot of cool people with sick ZJs. Needless to say im not going with this buddy this year. This leaves me making the trip alone. Ill be driving the 1000 miles in. See ya there.
    98 ZJ 5.9l / IRO 4.5" Short Arm / 33" BFG KM2 / TrailReady Front Bumper / Smittybilt XRC8

3. #28 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Colorado 5.9's Avatar
    Are you regestered? I don't see your screen name regestered.

Although there is one Robert Jenkins that didn't put up a screen name that's regestered. Is this perhaps you?

It's always nice to see another 5.9 at GSW.
    98ZJ 5.9, 7" T&T's Long arm kit with belly pan,frame stiffeners,trusses front & rear. 35X12.50 16 BFG KM2's.4.56 Gears, Trail Ready Rear Bumper,Arbed HP D30 Aussie locked rear,ect.ect. Latest 5.9 Pics.

4. #29 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado 5.9 View Post
    Are you regestered? I don't see your screen name regestered.

Although there is one Robert Jenkins that didn't put up a screen name that's regestered. Is this perhaps you?

It's always nice to see another 5.9 at GSW.
    Yes my name is Robert. I didn't have a Screen name when I registered. Yep see ya there.
    98 ZJ 5.9l / IRO 4.5" Short Arm / 33" BFG KM2 / TrailReady Front Bumper / Smittybilt XRC8

5. #30 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Glad to see another northwesterner coming down. Good people and great friends have come from them thar parts

The last 2.5 years, my DD has been public transit, so the Heep has been parked. I drove it to and from Moab several times though. One time on an October trip, I bunked up the transfer case pretty good, but I was able to get it fixed by Moab 4x4 Outpost and drive it home.

After that, I trailered it, and it happened to be a damn good thing. Smoked an LCA bracket.

I trust my rig to drive to and from Moab, but we bought a tow rig a couple years back when it worked great insurance-wise (no change in total cost), and I have free use of a trailer whenever I need it. That means we tow it.

Z asked me a couple years back if I felt I truly needed a tow rig. I told him "absolutely not - it sure is comfy though"
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

6. #31 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    I didn't take the time to read all of the responses: but I can say that I took a DD 3 times, broke, fixed, drove home, and took a poorly built buggy once, broke, and towed it out. The 3 DD trips these folks were amazingly helpful at the expense of their time and sleep - and when the buggy broke due to a major design error (bolt failure on upper single wristed arm) I was lent someones lifted F250, and no less than a dozen folks showed up to help me get it on the trailer to nanny it out. Another trip, someone else broke a steering box, none were in stock, so a "road was paved" to get the vehicle out on a trailer taking us 5 hours or so. Diddn't phase anyone. Essentially, if your'e not a dick, these folks give back to the community. You'll be taken care of.

7. #32 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    I was planning on making the drive out, but as luck would have it, managed to find a guy with a truck, and I work at a trailer manufacturing place, and we rent our trailers to employees for 50% off, so I'll have the luxury of having a way back if my pile breaks.

Reading all the stories of folks helping out when it is needed, is really comforting, I hope I can help out on the trail, and hopefully I wont need any help myself.
    Neil R.

93 318 ZJ, HP30, 8.8, 4.56, 35"s, tube.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    WTF? A unibody won? Did they build a mall at the finish line or something?

Funniest thread on MC

8. #33 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    The #1 thing I love about GSW, and GC owners in general is there's never a shortage of help if it's needed.

I hauled John's WJ from Vail to Moab a couple years back when his transfer case decided to be a douche, and I've had my junk hauled off the trail when it pooped out.

This group is a shining example of nobody gets left behind
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

9. #34 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner chadjans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fpkites View Post
    The bi-product of this is some good stories. They can never take your memories.

I am sorry to miss this year but we will be in Las Vegas celbrating Justin's loss of freedom.

Chad

10. #35 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    Quote Originally Posted by fpkites View Post
    The #1 thing I love about GSW, and GC owners in general is there's never a shortage of help if it's needed.

I hauled John's WJ from Vail to Moab a couple years back when his transfer case decided to be a douche, and I've had my junk hauled off the trail when it pooped out.

This is very comforting. I use to follow my buddy runs and events of his club. Needless to say him and that club got really disrespectful. I choose not to wheel with them anymore. He actually said he wanted to see me go and break and fail because non of you guys know me and nobody is going to help me if something happened. Not saying something will happen but its good to find a nice group of level headed people.

11. #36 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    Level headed? Nah. Good & nice? Yeah.

-Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

12. #37 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner360 View Post
    He actually said he wanted to see me go and break and fail because non of you guys know me and nobody is going to help me if something happened.
    When I got stranded in Nebraska on the way to GSW 2 years ago I didn't know many people that worked overtime to help me out either. 2 of them were fixing my shit until 4AM. Never seen them before in my life. I still get a little choked up thinking about that trip.
    Adam, 2001 Banana Boat

13. #38 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    4 JEEPIN Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner

Quote Originally Posted by chadjans View Post
    The bi-product of this is some good stories. They can never take your memories.

I am sorry to miss this year but we will be in Las Vegas celbrating Justin's loss of freedom.

Chad
    And why did Justin's party get scheduled for this weekend? GSW has been set for a year and it's not like we changed the date. Both of you (and Jessie) will be missed this year.
    Sandy Reshes
    Every GSW since it started in 1998, except for 2014
    95 ZJ with Clayt's longarms, some cool ARB & OME stuff
    05 Rubicon

Please patronize our GSW sponsors

14. #39 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner chadjans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy R View Post
    And why did Justin's party get scheduled for this weekend? GSW has been set for a year and it's not like we changed the date.

Both of you (and Jessica) will be missed this year.
    Sandy, the party schedule was not my to make. I am just along for the fun ride.

Thanks. I am sad that we can't make it but there is always next year. Have some safe fun!

Chad

15. #40 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    Quote Originally Posted by chadjans View Post

Chad
    wow this year is going to be different for sure...
    so many of our "regulars" not coming!
    "ZJ's were designed with the intention to take 1 really good hit, and fold up. As long as the occupants walked away, it was a success. In the wheeling world, we expect our vehicles to take multiple really good hits, drive out of it, and run the obstacle again!"

16. #41 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    My ZJ was my daily driver. I made the trip twice from Omaha and twice from College Station Tx. Both times, no real issues.

Hunter
    04 4.7 HO limited
    04 4.7 HO Overland
    00 4.7 with no lift or mods (RIP)
    94 5.9 with lift and mods (sold)

17. #42 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner360 View Post
    I went to EJS 11'. Me and a friend of mine. They were both our DDs. I had no issues making the 2000 mile trek round trip. I broke a stock CV front drive line on something I new I shouldn't been doing on Top Of The World.

Him on the other hand got 20 miles from home, overheating. Dealt with it all the way to moab. I had to strap him in the last 30 miles to camp. (Day one) he threw ujoint cap out of his D30 axle shaft. (Day two) He broke front drive line on Hells Revenge. (Day Three) he bent both his stock UCA. On the drive home he threw ujoint caps out of both D30 axle shafts and dealt with Tcase puking fluid.

The moral of the story is, Make sure you maintenance is good before you go. He spent all his money on New parts and lockers down to the last minute. I spent money on maintenance to be sure of reliability. If its your DD, drive it like its your baby. Don't go crazy with the skinny pedal everywhere. Especially with a niner under the hood.

I didn't make EJS 12' but i decided to try GSW 12'. I hope to meet alot of cool people with sick ZJs. Needless to say im not going with this buddy this year. This leaves me making the trip alone. Ill be driving the 1000 miles in. See ya there.
    Cool story bro..

So how did your upper control arm fix workout at M40.. It's so awesome of you to drive 1000miles KNOWING both upper control arm mounts are ripped 90% clean off the frame from your stupidity of 8" lift on short arms.. you DO realize that, if JUST IF, Those ripped off at 70mph and it created an accident, and you killed someone.. YOUR liable..

It's funny that this was posted on 5/19.. You were here AFTER that day.. to TRY and fix those issues, but you gave up because it was "Not worth it"

I love how you got booted from a group because of your Loose lips and Asshattery.. And you run somewhere else to whine about it.. Of course, In a different light tho

18. #43 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    Quote Originally Posted by nw-zj-scott View Post
    Cool story bro..

So how did your upper control arm fix workout at M40.. It's so awesome of you to drive 1000miles KNOWING both upper control arm mounts are ripped 90% clean off the frame from your stupidity of 8" lift on short arms.. you DO realize that, if JUST IF, Those ripped off at 70mph and it created an accident, and you killed someone.. YOUR liable..

It's funny that this was posted on 5/19.. You were here AFTER that day.. to TRY and fix those issues, but you gave up because it was "Not worth it"

I love how you got booted from a group because of your Loose lips and Asshattery.. And you run somewhere else to whine about it.. Of course, In a different light tho
    http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...ht=#post304288 As yoy can see here on page 14 post 334 to like 345 uncalled for and unneeded.
    Like I said guys not someone you want to go wheeling with. Scott please refrain from your disrespectfull comments as I'm sure they are not tolerated here. Im sure we will just end up with a bumper sticker on your trailer "Mallcrawlin.com is for douchebags" like the other stickers say for other forum that don't appreciate your 2 cents.
    Last edited by Niner360; 06-19-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Misspelling

19. #44 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    I'll leave this for Dave to deal with. Anyone coming to this site to cause drama, which at a quick glance looks to be accurate, will be swiftly banned. Do us all a favor and just move on.

20. #45 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nw-zj-scott View Post
    YOUR liable..
    It's You're

...fucking illiterate newb

21. #46 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
    Adam, 2001 Banana Boat

22. #47 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    4 JEEPIN Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepin' Wolf View Post
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
    I know that this thread has now become serious, but Adam, that is funny shit.
    Last edited by Sandy R; 06-20-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    Sandy Reshes
    Every GSW since it started in 1998, except for 2014
    95 ZJ with Clayt's longarms, some cool ARB & OME stuff
    05 Rubicon

Please patronize our GSW sponsors

23. #48 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    I apologize greatly for this unwanted baggage that has followed me here and tried to make my life hard. I came here to find a great group of people who are loyal to its members. People who dont discriminate against other for being less built. You guys are this group. Thanks for having my back.Im so sorry for the garbage that has gone on here.
    Last edited by Niner360; 06-21-2012 at 12:57 AM.

24. #49 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    Just for clarification, are you sheetmetal screw guy form Poison Spider?
    Neil R.

93 318 ZJ, HP30, 8.8, 4.56, 35"s, tube.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    WTF? A unibody won? Did they build a mall at the finish line or something?

Funniest thread on MC

25. #50 Re: How many people have taken their daily driver to GSW? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    Been out 5 -6 times 2300 miles round trip. DD only bent metal and a A/C temp sensor, and it was not even hot going back so the A/C was not needed... talk about luck!
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
    “The great object is that every man be armed.” -Patrick Henry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Thread Information