Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
why didn't you go the GSW this year? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Why didn't you go to GSW?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gas Prices

4 11.76%
  • Economy

5 14.71%
  • Distance

7 20.59%
  • Time of Year

4 11.76%
  • Been before and didn't have fun

0 0%
  • Cost of event

1 2.94%
  • Jeep wasn't ready

10 29.41%
  • Other (please explain)

16 47.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: why didn't you go the GSW this year?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #26 Re: why didn't you go the GSW this year? 
    The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    That's what I need to find out. I am all for keeping it Moab, having not made the trip yet myself. Even if it isn't a GS I think there is enough of us in the general area that we could probably organize a trip of some sort.

2. #27 Re: why didn't you go the GSW this year? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    From what I've seen of Farmington is stuff waaaay beyond most of the trails we offer at GSW. Farmington probably has more hardcore trails than Moab, but I don't think it has nearly the variety that Moab offers. Of course this is all based on having never been to Farmington and only what I've read on the internets.

3. #28 Re: why didn't you go the GSW this year? 
    The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    Yeah I can't say, but the couple guys I know have pretty capable rigs too and I didn't really ask a whole lot of details. From what I've heard though Farmington is supposed to have some pretty hardcore rock trails. Guess it's time to build a buggy....

4. #29 Re: why didn't you go the GSW this year? 
    I would have loved to go this year but changing jobs at the begining of May put a damper on things. I haven't been since like '02 or 03' when we were a sponsor. I will be trying to get back next year though.
    Clint
    Rifle, CO
    98 ZJ Laredo 5.2L- long list of good stuff

5. #30 Re: why didn't you go the GSW this year? 
    No place like mountains Lifetime Supporter InIt4TheFun's Avatar
    I totally understand that by having the GSW in Moab, it provides multiple level trails at a very close proximity and it is a great place to plan the trip for all levels of Grand Cherokee's. For me it is about doing other trails in CO because CO has so much to offer.

I appreciated the times that I have spent going to GSW in Moab and the people that I got to meet but it got to be "been there, done that!!." and I can only take a few trips each year with the economy and wanted to experience different trails in CO.
    "In almost ANY situation, or dealing with any controversial issue, the two extreme solutions are almost always never correct, and the best course of action lies somewhere in between." -J B

"I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it'd do any good!" - General Beringer

6. #31 Re: why didn't you go the GSW this year? 
    I live about an hour from Farmington and it has adequate parts stores (more than Moab). Not sure about the lodging. or the 4 wheeling. We usually go to Moab or Ouray. Personally I prefer Moab but think we could switch up the trails a bit. The two years I have gone the trails have been pretty much the same. I still have not driven Fins and Things or Kane Creek Canyon or Behind the Rocks or many others. This year I will have my jeep and my wife will be driving hers (first timer). Plus we will be unveiling the new WJ front and rear bumpers we are currently designing at GSW 2012. So we are hoping to use the unveiling to bring more Grands out for this year.
    2000 WJ
    "The Black Pearl"
    www.S4xC.com

"It's not the amount of years in your life. . . . . . . . . . but the amount of life in your years" Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I act dumber then I actually am. . . . . . That way when I do something stupid it's not a surprise." Anonymous

7. #32 Re: why didn't you go the GSW this year? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    Several of you indicated we need to mix up the trails. I agree. We have tried that a few times, but it seems there are certain favorite trails that people want to run, even if they ran it last year and the year before.

For 2012 we added a 4th day, which should provide the chance to run some new trails for everyone. Perhaps a new "candidate" trail list would be a good starting point.
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

8. #33 Re: why didn't you go the GSW this year? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Cody's Avatar
    Whenever we've offered new stuff, we end up with 3 rigs on the new trail and 12-15 on Hells and the rest on Poison Spider. I'm perfectly happy leading any trail out there, but we don't have the manpower nor does it make a lot of sense to offer 10 trails that each only get 2-4 rigs on them. Just my 2 cents.
    Resident hater of tall lifts, dana 44's, 4.0's, stingers, exo cages, and ZJ tow rigs....and the word "overlanding"

9. #34 Re: why didn't you go the GSW this year? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    Yep, that's what happens each time we try and I'm not suggesting we offer 10 trails a day.
    Perhaps with 4 days, people would want to try a new trail besides just Spyder and Hell's.
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

10. #35 Re: why didn't you go the GSW this year? 
    Assuming that my WJ is done in time then I would like to run Fins and Things or Behind the Rocks or some of the trails out at Area BFE. I only get to go wheeling maybe twice a year and would like to make the most of it.
    2000 WJ
    "The Black Pearl"
    www.S4xC.com

"It's not the amount of years in your life. . . . . . . . . . but the amount of life in your years" Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I act dumber then I actually am. . . . . . That way when I do something stupid it's not a surprise." Anonymous

11. #36 Re: why didn't you go the GSW this year? 
    I had just started a new job, was flat broke because my old one ended unexpectedly early (seasonal), and I was just out there a month or two earlier. Plus I'm a little bitch and said I'd go, like every other year in the past, and end up flaking out. One day I won't suck, promise.
    Poetry in commotion.

12. #37 Re: why didn't you go the GSW this year? 
    I haven't been because I can go down about anytime I feel to avoid crowds or unpleasant weather, but the main reason is because as stated everyone wants to run PSM or Hells Revenge. Both are weak trails. Ever watched the video of the Crown Victoria running Hells Revenge? I have personally watched a bone stock Trooper run the trail. But it is fun to watch folks roll on Escalator. And PSM, give me a freaking break, there is no reason why any rig needs tires larger than 33's to run every obstacle on the trail. I loved it when we were on Kane Creek 2 weeks ago, hardly a soul in sight and enough optional lines to keep everyone happy.

And while Moab may have some good trails in a small area, nothing compares to Colorado's scenic trails that get you into great camping and fishing. Wheeler Lake will always be high on my list with a few others.
    96 4.0 ZJ, 4.5in RE coils with Teraflex arms, Yukon gears, ARB front bumper, 33x12.50 M/TR's, homemade OBA setup....

97 with stuff....

So you're bitching about too easy of trails being offered and your talking up Kane Creek? Hahahahaha give me a fawking break man. You do realize more than two trails are offered right? Well Chief, come run Pritchett Canyon, Behind the Rocks, Moab Rim, Green Day, or Rusty Nail with us. Those apparently might be better suited for someone superior as you.

However, I'm not sure any trail leaders would want you on a trail with them anyways because all you'd do is bitch and moan the whole damn time.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    The password is newbgasm.
    www.crawlerready.com
    "For The Truly Addicted!"

14. #39 Re: why didn't you go the GSW this year? 
    lol, Kane Creek? Optional lines? What are they, easy and easier ha ha. There is no reason any rig needs more than 31's to run KC, unless you're referring to Killer Kane (which I doubt you know exists).

At least hells has some real optional lines, and Pritchett, Rusty Nail, Green Day, The Rim, BTR etc have actual obstacles. Kane Creek is just a scenic trail with a minor climb out the end, and it's not even as scenic as stuff like Hey Joe, Spring, or Onion Creek. At least on Onion Creek you can go tool around on Rose Garden.
    Resident hater of tall lifts, dana 44's, 4.0's, stingers, exo cages, and ZJ tow rigs....and the word "overlanding"

15. #40 Re: why didn't you go the GSW this year? 
    I never said Kane Creek was that difficult, simply stated it was less crowded than some others. But I do need to get out on more trails, only been on Metal Masher, PSM, Hells Revenge, Kane Creek, Steel Bender, Mashed Potatoes, and 2 others I can't recall at the moment.
    96 4.0 ZJ, 4.5in RE coils with Teraflex arms, Yukon gears, ARB front bumper, 33x12.50 M/TR's, homemade OBA setup....

97 with stuff....

16. #41 Re: why didn't you go the GSW this year? 
    I guess I was just confused about how you could call Hells easy when you didn't even do any of the obstacles, but Kane Creek is difficult? But I do get the crowd thing. Typically the trails I lead we have to ourselves, but those are Pritchett, Rusty Nail, BTR, Green Day etc. It's not a very busy weekend in June.

One would think that the opportunity to go out and see some new trails in Moab, with a bunch of people who drive and modify similar vehicles as yourself, with guides that know the area pretty well, would be something you would be into.

Cody

17. #42 Re: why didn't you go the GSW this year? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    The reason we always run PSM, GBR, Hell's and Golden Spike is that there is always demand for them. For some it is their first time or they really enjoy them. Give the event a try before bagging on it or the trails and if/when you have constructive ideas tomake it better, please share.

As far as trails in CO go, there are great trails, however Moab has more harder trails in a cloer proximity than CO does and have you really been on them during a weekend when there are not a lot of people? Two of us did some on a non-holiday weekend around Ouray and we ran into all kinds of rigs and had to wait multiple times...
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

18. #43 Re: why didn't you go the GSW this year? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    Son is a senior in college, I have no life until he graduates (money pit). Books are $850 a semester ?!??!?! and not all are new. Why cant they sell an e-copy for $25.
    Last edited by ZJ TINS; 04-26-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
    “The great object is that every man be armed.” -Patrick Henry

19. #44 Re: why didn't you go the GSW this year? 
    4 JEEPIN Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner

Quote Originally Posted by ZJ TINS View Post
    Son is a senior in college, I have no life until he graduates (money pit). Books are $850 a semester ?!??!?! and no e all are new. why cant they sell an e-copy for 25 $
    John, don't even get me going on this scam. Professors require eachothers' books and then make minor changes each year or two and then require only the latest edition so the used books have little to no use or value. My daughter has been/is getting ripped off big time at her college. When I went to college we could buy new or used books and then trade them back for at least something. Maybe it's just the school, I dunno, but it does hurt the wallet. Anyway, this is the 15th GSW so bring some cup-o-noodles to work and stash your lunch money.
    Sandy Reshes
    Every GSW since it started in 1998, except for 2014
    95 ZJ with Clayt's longarms, some cool ARB & OME stuff
    05 Rubicon

Please patronize our GSW sponsors

20. #45 Re: why didn't you go the GSW this year? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy R View Post
    this is the 15th GSW
    Sandy, it would be kewl if we could offer a 15th GSW Anniversary decal / sticker for the attendees next year.

example:

Last edited by Sudz; 11-04-2011 at 12:54 PM.
    95 ZJ | Clayton 6" | 8.8 | HP30 | 4.88s | Aussie F/R | 242 SYE | 35 MTZs

Paragon ♠ Tellico ◊ Big Dogs ♣ Rausch Creek ♥ Moab ♠ Rubicon

21. #46 Re: why didn't you go the GSW this year? 
    4 JEEPIN Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner

That would be very cool! Maybe even some dash plaques too.
    Sandy Reshes
    Every GSW since it started in 1998, except for 2014
    95 ZJ with Clayt's longarms, some cool ARB & OME stuff
    05 Rubicon

Please patronize our GSW sponsors

22. #47 Re: why didn't you go the GSW this year? 
    Well before thinking of moving it from Moab. We need to think why people attend EJS year after year after year? I for one have not wheeled Moab yet, even though it is about 450 miles away. Provided I can aford it I will attend next year, but looking at buying a house in the spring.

Tim
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 5.2

23. #48 Re: why didn't you go the GSW this year? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Colorado 5.9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy R View Post
    That would be very cool! Maybe even some dash plaques too.

Soooo?
    98ZJ 5.9, 7" T&T's Long arm kit with belly pan,frame stiffeners,trusses front & rear. 35X12.50 16 BFG KM2's.4.56 Gears, Trail Ready Rear Bumper,Arbed HP D30 Aussie locked rear,ect.ect. Latest 5.9 Pics.

24. #49 Re: why didn't you go the GSW this year? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado 5.9 View Post
    Soooo?
    dash plaques or decals? how many? 30?
    95 ZJ | Clayton 6" | 8.8 | HP30 | 4.88s | Aussie F/R | 242 SYE | 35 MTZs

Paragon ♠ Tellico ◊ Big Dogs ♣ Rausch Creek ♥ Moab ♠ Rubicon

Jeep is still broke and so am I lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Thread Information