Thread: WJ Taillight issues - not the usual culprits

1. #1 WJ Taillight issues - not the usual culprits 
    1999 WJ 4.7L Limited -- So cruising home from camping a couple weeks ago in the evening, all my heat/radio lights go out -- ususally a deliberate factory-designed failure to tell you your tail lights are out. Sure enough, no tail lights -- since I was towing the trailer and it still had full lights, no biggie for the drive home... until the trialer lights fuse cooked.

Anyways, got home, and popped a new fuse in for the trailer lights, trailer problems fixed. I then swapped out the "sockets" in the WJ taillight assemblies as these are usually the culprit when the connections don't make contact -- this isn't my first rodeo with the sockets... that got the drivers' side brake light working for the first time in months, but still no taillights. Blinkers continue to work fine, so it isn't a blinker fluid issue.

So I hit the interweb to try and read up on what else could be causing the problem -- general online consensus seemed to be that the WJ taillights are altogether a shitty design, and that after a while the little circuit boards that connect the sockets go kaput. Since I know my sockets were good, and know my bulbs were good, this seemed sensible. I don't want to deal with this problem over and over again, and therefore decided not to swap in a new set of OEM light assemblies and relive this wonderful experience a couple months down the line... so to ebay I went to try and find the least-ricer aftermarket lights available. I ended up ordering a set of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...82053354433097

I don't love them, but they don't make me want to barf

Anyways, long story long.... still no freaking tail lights, although at least now I'm confident my direct wired brake lights will keep working. Not sure where to look next, as clearly I have a wiring gremlin somewhere -- any tips on the next most likely culprit? My multi-function switch otherwise seems to be working fine - headlights come on when told, just no matching glow in back... HELP!
    '99 WJ - 5" lift, Clayton system, 34's, JK Axles, NP231...

Truth is treason in the empire of lies -- RP

2. #2 Re: WJ Taillight issues - not the usual culprits 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    Interesting.

I had someone the other day tell me my brake lights were not working on my WJ.

I looked and sure enough neither tail light or the thrid brake light were working. I checked the fuse was good so I replaced the brake light switch on the brake pedal. Still not lights. I then looked and all three bulbs were bad. I thought that was strange, but replaced all three lamps and it all still works 4 weeks later. i hope it is not something more serious.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

3. #3 Re: WJ Taillight issues - not the usual culprits 
    naw, I've inspected and replaced all bulbs, and did all sockets before going to the aftermarket lamps -- mines got to be in a switch, connection, or wiring somewhere. I'm going to target the trailer wiring harness first since I swapped a different 7 pin in there a couple months ago, and hope that it is the low hanging fruit...

4. #4 Re: WJ Taillight issues - not the usual culprits 
    The brake light switch is a pretty simple thing to replace. Cheap too.

I have a factory trailer harness and it seems like they only install one way.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

5. #5 Re: WJ Taillight issues - not the usual culprits 
    me too, I'm hoping I screwed up a ground when I swapped in the alternate connector or something. I hate electrical gremlins, you know its something simple, but finding it is a real PITA. Meanwhile, I can't drive at night!

6. #6 Re: WJ Taillight issues - not the usual culprits 
    BTW I use one of the 7 wire to 4 wire trailer connection adapters that just push into the factory trailer socket of the Jeep. No re-wire for 4 wire trailers that way.

7. #7 Re: WJ Taillight issues - not the usual culprits 
    I have one too, but my trialer had a RV style 7 pin, and I didn't want to re-wire the trailer, so I re-wired the jeep... gremlins continue, but in a good way -- passenger side tail light is now functional

8. #8 Re: WJ Taillight issues - not the usual culprits 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    Nevermind.

PSA: WJ tail lights are awful. Check your sockets for corrosion!
    Last edited by ELLLLLIOTTTTT; 06-30-2013 at 09:40 PM.
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

9. #9 Re: WJ Taillight issues - not the usual culprits 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    I ended up replacing both of the light housings to resolve my issues - there were multiple problems, the last of which as suggested, were the tailight housings themselves. The printed traces on the board must be broken somewhere - they'd be on one moment and off the left without explanation.

I feel like 3 out of 4 WJ's I see have at least one light out.

10. #10 Re: WJ Taillight issues - not the usual culprits 
    The TCM was the culprit on my taillights...did all of the above and found somewhere that a failed TCM module in the tranny is the cause. Pain to fix since you have to drain the tranny pan disassemble and reassemble, refill. All fixed.
    04 Overland
    06 Rubicon
    Previously:
    98 TJ
    2000 XJ
    1997 XJ
    1994 Grand LTD
    1992 YJ

Thread Information