Thread: so Kane Creek is my new favorite Moab trail

1. #1 so Kane Creek is my new favorite Moab trail 
    This was my 5th trip to Moab with the Jeep but had never ran Kane Creek prior, we ran Hells Revenge and Poison Spider on Friday and Kane Creek Saturday. All I have to say is that Kane Creek is a fun trail with a lot of great spots to stop for lunch and if you have kids they can play in the creek. We started from the town end and came out down by the highway. And yet again my Jeep surprised the hell out of me and people kept asking if I was locked, I was the only one who was still running open diffs and the stock transfer case out of the six rigs in our group. The long wheelbase and 4.56's play a huge role in getting up stuff. The "waterfall" was a piece of cake and I didn't take any bypasses except the first one where it drops off to the right, it was my wife's first trip down and she was nervous. I will post some pictures soon as I upload them, but the weather was perfect and my only carnage requires some spray paint. I'm glad we got to go down before it gets too hot, our next trip will likely be in October.
    Last edited by black_zj; 05-16-2011 at 01:28 AM.
    96 4.0 ZJ, 4.5in RE coils with Teraflex arms, Yukon gears, ARB front bumper, 33x12.50 M/TR's, homemade OBA setup....

97 with stuff....

2. #2 Re: so Kane Creek is my new favorite Moab trail 
    Asshole Extraordinaire Lifetime Supporter
    MallCrawlin Supporter
    October???? How about June??? GSW???
    "I will offend a bunch of you. I do not know what your moral boundaries are, so I'm probably going to cross them at some point. I sometimes even go beyond my own moral boundaries -- that's how I know I still have them."

Tosh.0 (Loosely translated by Fuego)(slightly modified to fit my needs!)

3. #3 Re: so Kane Creek is my new favorite Moab trail 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    Agree, it is a fun trail!

The stair ledges are good obstacles to climb up. All those water crossings make for a nice change as well.

Note: For those that still care about your paint, you will get pinstripping from all the trees/bushes along the streams.
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

4. #4 Re: so Kane Creek is my new favorite Moab trail 
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoulderCO View Post
    Agree, it is a fun trail!

The stair ledges are good obstacles to climb up. All those water crossings make for a nice change as well.

Note: For those that still care about your paint, you will get pinstripping from all the trees/bushes along the streams.
    I was referring to spraying my rock sliders to keep the rust out, the body has been pinstriped since the first few months after I bought it in 1999. But Kane Creek does have a lot of spots that will add to it.
    96 4.0 ZJ, 4.5in RE coils with Teraflex arms, Yukon gears, ARB front bumper, 33x12.50 M/TR's, homemade OBA setup....

97 with stuff....

5. #5 Re: so Kane Creek is my new favorite Moab trail 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    I don't care about pinstripping or even dents at this point, just giving fair warning to those that do.
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

6. #6 Re: so Kane Creek is my new favorite Moab trail 
    Glad you enjoyed it!
    Let me know when you are thinking of going back out.
    Sorry I couldn't make it out. The new ECM should be here tomorrow.
    -Tim.
    -06 WK 5.7 Hemi
    -98 ZJ 4.slow 42RE 242 RE 3.5 with 33in MT/R's. Needs work, driven daily. For sale.

7. #7 Re: so Kane Creek is my new favorite Moab trail 
    Yeah we ran that a couple weeks ago. I'd been up it a couple times before, but the only other time I had tried it in my ZJ, I exploded the t-case on a hill that's now closed. My roommates had never been to Moab before and enjoyed the hell out of the area. It has awesome variety, and the more runoff, the better (just watch for flash floods).
    Poetry in commotion.

8. #8 Re: so Kane Creek is my new favorite Moab trail 
    The best part is that I was averaging 18mpg on the way down and 18.5mpg on the drive back with my small trailer in tow.

97 with stuff....

9. #9 Re: so Kane Creek is my new favorite Moab trail 
    Wow. With my abused 5.2, a bunch of gear, and 3 guys, I think averaged about 10MPG the whole trip.
    Poetry in commotion.

Thread Information