Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Project "Cheaper 'Den Hell"

Thread: Project "Cheaper 'Den Hell"

1. #1 Project "Cheaper 'Den Hell" 
    to make a long story short i got my 96 zj laredo as a junkyard gem for 250$ because the yard owner thought it had a junk motor and trans.... cap, rotor,and one plug wire later the engine was purring like a kitten and after a quick filter change and govenor preasure solenoid cleaning it was shifting perfectly
    so i decided to stick with my super cheap trend and try to accomplish the most 4wheeling with this truck while spending as little money as possible.
    i went with a junkyard f>r swap useing front mercury cougar springs for the front, grabbed some rear lower arms to use in the front lower pos. and then welded up some extended front upper arms. now i figured while i was severly cheaping out on the arms and springs, and thinking about extending the trackbar or something equaly as silly i should really go for a lil safer route with the trac bar and ordered up a iro adjustable.

after a few weeks i stumbled on a rear D44HD for free and did a quick swap with my turdy5, with a little lincoln locker action while i was there. annnnd while i had it onthe lift i decided to trash the sway bars... muuchoo better flexytime

somewhere around that time a xj friend of mine got rid of his jeep and gave me his safari snorkel, i hated the dryer vent looking ducting they had so i made up my own with some saab turbo tubes and connectors and useing a lebaron air filter housing for a much heavier duty duct work

i got invited to a scout club outing in newjersy pinelands somehow, so i sipped the crap out of some junk 33's to hit what i was told was going to be "mud" which ended up being some kind of almost liquidish sand... an alternator, 3 blower motors(sand in the motors), a plugged heater core(fins full of sandyassmud), and about 10-15 hours of cleaning later..... i think im turned off of mud for life...

near future plans are boat sides and bumpers.. all home made and cheaper 'den hell of course

(dont make fun of me for the queer pictures either my "friend" was trying to be "artsy fartsy" with his picture taking haha)
    96 grandcherokee laredo- 4.0L, 3.5" jy lift, welded 44a, beating the poopnoodles out of it whenver i can!!

2. #2 Re: Project "Cheaper 'Den Hell" 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 5.9 ANDY's Avatar
    id like to see the control arms that you wipped up....
    not bad looking though.
    proud Lance Corporal in the Unted States Marine Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post

This website is bad for the health of your vehicles, enjoy your stay

3. #3 Re: Project "Cheaper 'Den Hell" 
    theyre not the prettiest ever... but ill see if i can find a pic somewhere
    96 grandcherokee laredo- 4.0L, 3.5" jy lift, welded 44a, beating the poopnoodles out of it whenver i can!!

4. #4 Re: Project "Cheaper 'Den Hell" 
    NICE!!!! I love cheap builds. Anyone can build a nice rig if they have deep pockets but its a lot cooler to build your own stuff.

5. #5 Re: Project "Cheaper 'Den Hell" 
    it looks like you're already flogging the shit outta it, well played man. I like cheap builds because you don't have to care
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

6. #6 Re: Project "Cheaper 'Den Hell" 
    ok heres the pic of one of the uppers (only one i could find)

and a few more recent freebies

not sure who the manufacturer is but it looks pretty beefy

7. #7 Re: Project "Cheaper 'Den Hell" 
    i like budget builds. looks like your off to a good start, but hangin around here you'll be on at least 3/4 tons in no time
    4.7 wj 4" front long arm soft 8's destination mt's
    and some stuff. bigger and better shit in progress

8. #8 Re: Project "Cheaper 'Den Hell" 
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsonist_Bob View Post
    i like budget builds. looks like your off to a good start, but hangin around here you'll be on at least 3/4 tons in no time

i dunno bout 3/4 tons buuuut i do have a line on a free shortened ford 9" housing... and possibly a very cheap wagoneer front 44

9. #9 Re: Project "Cheaper 'Den Hell" 
    So how are those extended control arms workin for ya? I thought about doin this myself for the rears and fronts. Are you gonna box them in where the extention was welded in for strength?

10. #10 Re: Project "Cheaper 'Den Hell" 
    Wow, nice cheap build.

Just in case no one has told you, wheeling with no doors can tweak the uni, you probably don't care but just an FYI.

Oh and I hate mud too!

11. #11 Re: Project "Cheaper 'Den Hell" 
    there working ok as far as street driving, i dont do much wheeling in the winter months. i am however planing on boxing them in before i do any serious wheeling as well as boxing the lower arms and getting rid of that stupid tire chewing lip, reinforcing all frame mouning points, and axle mounting points. unfortunatly, after a job change and getting into a new house i find myself without a welder soooo if you know anyone selling one realllly cheap let me know!

12. #12 Re: Project "Cheaper 'Den Hell" 
    Quote Originally Posted by 96grandbeater View Post

i got invited to a scout club outing in newjersy pinelands somehow, so i sipped the crap out of some junk 33's to hit what i was told was going to be "mud" which ended up being some kind of almost liquidish sand... an alternator, 3 blower motors(sand in the motors), a plugged heater core(fins full of sandyassmud), and about 10-15 hours of cleaning later..... i think im turned off of mud for life...

Looking good

And yea, the pines are hell. Ask "Sudz" I know he makes a trip every month or 2.

So far looking good. Cheap builds ftw.

13. #13 Re: Project "Cheaper 'Den Hell" 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 96grandbeater View Post
    not sure who the manufacturer is but it looks pretty beefy
    That's a Crane Hi Clearance diff cover. They used that logo on their covers a couple years ago (mine looked identical to that). It's pretty much bombproof and the "lipless" design is nice for acting as a ramp. Just keep tabs on the lower three bolts because they can easily get rounded off after dragging them over a few rocks. It's not a huge deal, but they can turn into a PITA to remove if they get too rounded off.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 04-29-2011 at 07:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

14. #14 Re: Project "Cheaper 'Den Hell" 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Jeep Whore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    That's a Crane Hi Clearance diff cover. They used that logo on their covers a couple years ago (mine looked identical to that). It's pretty much bombproof and the "lipless" design is nice for acting as a ramp. Just keep tabs on the lower three bolts because they can easily get rounded off after dragging them over a few rocks. It's not a huge deal, but they can turn into a PITA to remove if they get too rounded off.
    I thought he was joking....
    _______.00000. << ---Mine------____.____.
    //_|__l__,\____\,___---Dads>> /l __,[____],_
    l_--\__\__l---\[]llllll[]| -----------l--|_|-L-OllllllllO-
    (o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ----------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    Glws = good looking wagon sir

15. #15 Re: Project "Cheaper 'Den Hell" 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep Whore View Post
    I thought he was joking....
    i was refering to the tir rod bar in the other pic.... but thanks for the tips on the bolts fuego

Quote Originally Posted by BigClay View Post
    Wow, nice cheap build.

Just in case no one has told you, wheeling with no doors can tweak the uni, you probably don't care but just an FYI.

Oh and I hate mud too!
    thanks
    mostly what ive read says no doors is ok just never wheel with the rear hatch off without some kind of reinforecement. do you think half doors or tube doors are a good stand in then? i just cant picture myself ever wheeling with full doors on haha

16. #16 Re: Project "Cheaper 'Den Hell" 
    just finished my snap-in rear windows today

all 3 windows for under 30$

annd im seriously considering making snap windows on all the doors as well. that could really shave some pounds off the fat bastid haha
    Last edited by 96grandbeater; 05-01-2011 at 05:58 PM.

17. #17 Re: Project "Cheaper 'Den Hell" 
    man those windows came out awsome. Is that a bead of silicone around the perimeter of the back window or is that the glass seal from when the glass was removed

18. #18 Re: Project "Cheaper 'Den Hell" 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    Those control arms are... special.
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

19. #19 Re: Project "Cheaper 'Den Hell" 
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ABrian View Post
    man those windows came out awsome. Is that a bead of silicone around the perimeter of the back window or is that the glass seal from when the glass was removed
    thanks! yea thats just some left over window glue, i ran out of spray paint by the time i got to the rear. ill paint that area up on my day off

Quote Originally Posted by ELLLLLIOTTTTT View Post
    Those control arms are... special.
    dont hate! appreciate! haha have you ever seen a altered factory arm that wasnt... special?

20. #20 Re: Project "Cheaper 'Den Hell" 
    so any updates on this build?

21. #21 Re: Project "Cheaper 'Den Hell" 
    What did you use for the windows?

Rick
    94 ZJ 3/4 Ton on 36's.

22. #22 Re: Project "Cheaper 'Den Hell" 
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ABrian View Post
    so any updates on this build?
    nope, been working way too much and any free time i have had has been spent doing all the early summer house work... yuck haha. ill have some updates soon though i got a ton of stuff to do to get it inspected and a few other things

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsport59 View Post
    What did you use for the windows?

Rick
    it was the first and hopefully last time ive been in a JoAnnes Fabrics haha i just asked for the heaviest clear plastic they had and thats what i got. its not quite as clear or as strong as actual convertable top window material but at 4$ for a square yard ill deal with it

Thread Information