Thread: TOTM: Tow Rigs, Gas vs. Diesel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #26 Re: TOTM: April '11 - Tow Rigs, Gas vs. Diesel 
    while i agree with that statment, pretty much all the trucks out there, you can add a intake exhaust and a programmer and be as reliable as stock

2. #27 Re: TOTM: April '11 - Tow Rigs, Gas vs. Diesel 
    for the most part, you can throw a chip on a 6spd diesel and be just fine with a set of gauges to keep an eye on everything. your clutch might slip, but $700-$1100 for the right clutch and you're on your way. with a slushbox, you're probably bound for a ~$3/4/5k tranny and TC replacement and then you *should* be good to go. Unless you drive a 6.0 ford....then the heads will lift, coolant will pump into your oil, bearings will grenade, and you'll be generally depressed and annoyed at your truck.

Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    Just how massive are these 3/4 ton brakes you're talking about? The '08 rotors on my Titan measure 13 3/4" and require the use of an 18" wheel. The rear brakes are no joke either. Seems like the newer 1/2 ton equipment is becoming (sometimes surpassing) yesterday's 3/4 ton equipment, especially in the braking department. Now if you're looking to buy an older truck then sure there are probably bigger differences. But for relatively late models, the real differences are probably going to be suspension, rearend, and frame.
    those sound like pretty serious brakes. My truck's brakes are hydroboost, 13.03"x1.5" vented, two pot pistons up front. 1/2 ton is 12.13. I agree that newer model trucks have really stepped up to the plate with brakes.

With every component being better than its 1/2 ton counterpart, operating costs roughly equal, value retention substantially higher, blindingly outrageous streed cred.....I still don't see any point in a gas truck, unless like i said, initial cost was a limiting factor.
    Last edited by paulkeith; 04-04-2011 at 10:11 PM.

3. #28 Re: TOTM: April '11 - Tow Rigs, Gas vs. Diesel 
    I am just going to have to go with the statement on any truck for every one mod you make you have to make 2 more. Rather it is lifting it or getting power from it.

A diesel is best when it is worked. If your going to just run it around town and go to work with one and tow once in a blue moon you have no need for one. In that case buy a 1/2 or 3/4 ton gasser and you will be fine. As stated before any of these trucks can tow the stuff but can they stop the stuff is the true question.

4. #29 Re: TOTM: April '11 - Tow Rigs, Gas vs. Diesel 
    Diesels have good points and bad as does a Gasser... I was once irritated with my DD/ wheeler/ part time tow assortment of gasser rigs.

They included at the time a 89 4WD Suburban 350 engine, 95 Tahoe 4WD, 95 'yota 4WD T100, and 99 Blazer 4.3. The trans went out in the 'burban. The trans guy said he couldn't get it rebuilt come get it. The Tahoe had some "issues" after an hour sitting in a headlight deep mud hole... The T100 just pissed me off in general when trying to pull anything more than a 4 wheeler or flat bottom boat.

In August of 2008 I purchased a tow rig while home on leave. Ended up getting a 01 F350 for $9150. Since driving it from that time I have had only one major issue. The common problem with these trucks is the transmission. Quick fix for me was swapping out the auto for a 6 speed. Less than $2000 is what the swap cost me.

I added some things to help performance and can tow whatever I want. For the money I didn't go wrong...

I don't usually buy something to drive for a year or two then get rid of. This truck will be around for a long time yet. Also, it is paid for. Can the new hemi 4 door next to me at the red light say the same thing?

5. #30 Re: TOTM: April '11 - Tow Rigs, Gas vs. Diesel 
    My general rule of thumb when people ask me gas or diesel is: towing over 10K you need a diesel, everything is beefier, axles, brakes, suspension, tranny, etc. You be much happier with a diesel.

Under 10K it depends on how much you want to spend, how important fuel economy is(ie how many miles a year do you put on it) and how fast uphill do you want to go? Personally I detest being THAT guy going up a hill at 40mph up a hill holding back traffic so I'm much more inclined to diesels for just that reason. Others have more paitence. As well the money saved on a gas truck over what a diesel will cost can buy a LOT of fuel so if you only use the truck a few times a year the fuel savings are negligible. Personally other than the oil changes I think maintenance costs are pretty similar between the two. Stuff doesn't usually go wrong with a diesel but when it does it can be more money, other than fluid/filter changes there isn't a lot of maintenance needed on a diesel. Drivetrain componets last longer as they are heavier duty. Gas are cheaper to maintain but require tuneups more often and the engine/trannys will need a rebuild sooner. Its a wash in my books.

Do you live in cold climate and plan to DD the truck? If so a gas is a better option. Diesels don't like cold starting and cold weather idling. Also if you park somewhere where you can't plug in for an extended period you may not get a diesel started.

Do you like to play with your truck and mod it? Diesels are REALLY fun to mod up and go make fun of ricers with. My 2001 Dodge dually with a $800 chip and $1200 into the tranny(TC and valve body) could outrun my mom's 5.9 ZJ and reliably tow 15K.
    1998 5.9er, 6" Claytons Long arm, D30(elocker), Rubi D44 rear, TJ Addco rear sway bar, WJ knuckles/brakes, 4.10s, 33s, 9.5ti

'93 ZJ LTD, 5.2L, Claytons Longarm, 8" lift D44 front(w/elocker), D60 rear(welded), 37" IROKS, 5.38s, 9.5ti<scrapped>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thread Information