Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
2011 GSW To-Do-List - Page 5

Thread: 2011 GSW To-Do-List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. #101 Re: 2011 GSW To-Do-List 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    I bent an XJ44 shaft badly...
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

2. #102 Re: 2011 GSW To-Do-List 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner K2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabe_offroad View Post
    It's not that hard to do!!! Don't you remember me bending mine at the flange a couple of years ago on Cliffhanger??
    Nope, but I remember you bending your ARB into your fender and busting a shock! Not a good trail for you.
    02 WJ, Lift, dents, noise and smoke.

3. #103 Re: 2011 GSW To-Do-List 
    Member Lifetime Supporter wannabe_offroad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    Nope, but I remember you bending your ARB into your fender and busting a shock! Not a good trail for you.
    ARB is better now and I'll just say the shock was old so it was due to be replaced. The fenders on the other hand are still pretty beat-up

4. #104 Re: 2011 GSW To-Do-List 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    The shock at least made a super sweet noise when it snapped.

5. #105 Re: 2011 GSW To-Do-List 
    Asshole Extraordinaire Lifetime Supporter
    MallCrawlin Supporter
    Tha snap was cool, but his jeep splooging the rocks was AWESOME!
    "I will offend a bunch of you. I do not know what your moral boundaries are, so I'm probably going to cross them at some point. I sometimes even go beyond my own moral boundaries -- that's how I know I still have them."

Tosh.0 (Loosely translated by Fuego)(slightly modified to fit my needs!)

6. #106 Re: 2011 GSW To-Do-List 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabe_offroad View Post
    It's not that hard to do!!! Don't you remember me bending mine at the flange a couple of years ago on Cliffhanger??
    You and your silly flange...real Jeeps have C-clips....wait, what???

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    The shock at least made a super sweet noise when it snapped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauzi Zj View Post
    Tha snap was cool, but his jeep splooging the rocks was AWESOME!
    And the smell was to die for....literally!

Realized today I also need to make sure all my tools make it back into my toolbox. Got some cleaning to do as well. Stupid grease gun dripped into the top compartment and top drawer of my Crapsman box. That's what I get for cheaping out on chassis lube. It melts and makes a big damn mess.

Also noticed when we were in SD that the tags are expired on the tow rig. Stupid CO department of revenue and their title server taking a shit meant that postcards didn't get mailed out. Bridget's getting the smog tested now.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

7. #107 Re: 2011 GSW To-Do-List 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner chadjans's Avatar
    Heres to hoping my new suck down winch solenoids come before I leave.

8. #108 Re: 2011 GSW To-Do-List 
    got my dub back from bryant yesterday.. drives a lot better now with the proper caster and driveshaft angles after the knuckle rotation.. sleeves and truss are on, along with new johnny joints on the truss, and new OEM bushings on the lowers. Tracks great, feels a lot more solid. But the rotation brought about some issues that i will have to tackle this weekend.. the springs are now really bowed, the sway bar mounts hit the drag link so i lost a lot of turning radius, and my shock mounts raised up a decent amount, so i will have to do some tweaking before i am comfortable wheeling this sucker.
    04 WJ, Limited, 4.7 HO, 242 Swap, 6" Clayton Longarm'd, 35" BFG KM2's, 17" WER Beadlocks OMF rings, Kevin's Sliderz, Kevins HD Tie Rod, TNT Customs Hi-Steer, Fox Bypasses, 4.56 Gears,
    Incline Winch Bumper from Frantzdesignworks.com

9. #109 Re: 2011 GSW To-Do-List 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LSRGreg View Post
    the springs are now really bowed, the sway bar mounts hit the drag link so i lost a lot of turning radius, and my shock mounts raised up a decent amount
    Bowed springs - you can minimize this by "clocking" your springs. I have found that rotating the front springs to different positions, you will find a "sweet" spot with minimal bowing. The bottom of the spring is not flat, as some factory car springs are. So depending on how it is lined up on your axle spring perch it will "tip" the spring in one direction when compressed. After I found the best location, I wrapped a piece of tape around a coil so I know where to position it if it rotates again.

Sway bar mounts hitting drag link - is that just on the passenger side? Might have to grind something on the spring perch/mount.

Shock Mounts Higher - you just increased your droop and reduced your compression. Not a problem unless you loose springs or bottom out your shocks. Get new shocks or relocate mounts.
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

10. #110 Re: 2011 GSW To-Do-List 
    thanks for the reply john.. here are a couple pics. the springs already had a decent amount of bow since i moved the axle forward when i did the long arms.. here they are now.

Maybe i can get enough rotation out of them to get me by for this weekend.. i hope..

The drag link touches the sway bar mount here, as well as the tie rod also touches the front of the spring mounts too, because i had to grind off the bottom edge of the spring mount before to get full steering.. and now it goes right into the middle of the spring mount.

I will have to measure to see how much the shock mount changed.. if its only a 1/2" or so, no biggie, but i can rotate those back down if needed.

Not a big deal.. i should have enough time to get it squared away before we leave next week.

G-
    04 WJ, Limited, 4.7 HO, 242 Swap, 6" Clayton Longarm'd, 35" BFG KM2's, 17" WER Beadlocks OMF rings, Kevin's Sliderz, Kevins HD Tie Rod, TNT Customs Hi-Steer, Fox Bypasses, 4.56 Gears,

11. #111 Re: 2011 GSW To-Do-List 
    Sway bar mounts hitting drag link - I just remembered, if it is the passenger side, you might have to move the sway bar link from the outside of the sway bar and spring perch to the inside to clear the TRE. When I was running the "flipped" tie rod and drag link steering on my WJ D30 that is something I had to do. Works just as well on the inside and easy enough to disco by doing the driver's side first, then the passenger lower side, then rotate sway bar down to do upper. Reverse order to re-attach.

EDIT: AFTER SEEING ABOVE PICES
    I see your sway bar link is already on the inside and your drag link has a "J" bend. Bigger "J" bend, grind more or re-locate the mount.

Springs, yep, I think if you rotate them and and try a few different positions you will be able to minimize that. I would hi-lift my front end on the rock slider until the spring just unseated, then rotate a bit, lower and repeat. Time consuming, but I found it worked. After you find the sweet spot on one side, you should be able to "point" the other side's spring quicker using the first one's location as a guide. Has to do with that last 1/2 turn of the coil and where it is on the spring perch. I don't have my Jeep at work or I could take a peak at my springs and get you started with the location that works for me. I will update this after I have a chance to look.
    Last edited by JohnBoulderCO; 06-03-2011 at 12:08 PM.
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage

12. #112 Re: 2011 GSW To-Do-List 
    Yeah.. i would think the end of the spring wire would need to be on the front side, as it makes the coil "longer" on that side.. I'll mess around with it... thanks for the tips!
    G-

13. #113 Re: 2011 GSW To-Do-List 
    Quote Originally Posted by LSRGreg View Post
    Yeah.. i would think the end of the spring wire would need to be on the front side, as it makes the coil "longer" on that side.. I'll mess around with it... thanks for the tips!
    G-
    Yep, to make it longer and "tip" it back. But, I will check tonight to confirm. Welcome!

EDIT: the last 1/2 coil of the spring, is on the front side of the perch, with the "end" of the coil facing to the back of the Jeep. Same on both sides. I hope that makes sense.

Looking at your pics, the driver's side coil "end" appears to be at the front of the perch. You would then rotate that coil 90 degs to place the end pointing to the back.
    Last edited by JohnBoulderCO; 06-03-2011 at 08:47 PM.

14. #114 Re: 2011 GSW To-Do-List 
    Napa = poop when shopping for rear wheel bearings. They keep trying to spec out the bearings that are pressed on the shaft with the collar...no fawkers, that's for the Dub 44A!! GRRRR!

A guy at my buddy's shop checked another parts source and got the roller bearing style that the ZJ needs - $55, and the shaft could be too grooved...we'll see. I could be running to the junkyard tomorrow for a new shaft.

Tow rig power steering sounds a little whiny...better check that out too.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff

GSW 2010 Pics

15. #115 Re: 2011 GSW To-Do-List 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by fpkites View Post

Tow rig power steering sounds a little whiny...better check that out too.
    That's an easy one. It's a Ford. Mine's been noisy since I got it. As long as being on the brake pedal doesn't make you lose power steering you're fine.

16. #116 Re: 2011 GSW To-Do-List 
    Yep, everything looks ok. Fluid level is fine and super clean. Air filter is dirty, but only made smog test marginally dirtier than last year. Still passed with flying colors in stock tune.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    A bunch of KOR stuff

GSW 2010 Pics

17. #117 Re: 2011 GSW To-Do-List 
    And.....started tearing into the 44a to replace the bearing/seal, and what do I find? Our favorite cross pin retaining bolt sheared....fawk!!!
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    A bunch of KOR stuff

GSW 2010 Pics

18. #118 Re: 2011 GSW To-Do-List 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    Pic? I have heard of a few of them shearing lately.

I went 4-wheeling today to test out my exhaust and make sure it cleared everything. Mission accomplished
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

19. #119 Re: 2011 GSW To-Do-List 
    I'll just "borrow" Dave's pic from when he put an Aussie in Trixy way back when...lol

Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    A bunch of KOR stuff

GSW 2010 Pics

20. #120 Re: 2011 GSW To-Do-List 
    I got the pin/bolt out, so I'll try to replace the bearing and seal tonight, and just go to the junkyard tomorrow for a shitload of the bastards. Maybe I'll start a black market on them

I called the stealership, and the closest one of them is in Ft Collins. Napa/Carquest/Autozone/Checker/Pep Boys ALL don't carry it. It's ONLY a Crown part. Maybe Dana, but doubtful since the 44a is a relic.

Anybody need anything at the junkyard?

Right now I'm just trying to get the C-Clip loose so I can pull the passenger side shaft to do the bearing. Can't for the life of me remember how to disengage it with the Aussie in there.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    A bunch of KOR stuff

GSW 2010 Pics

21. #121 Re: 2011 GSW To-Do-List 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    Ohhh, the set bolt broke. I thought the cross pin itself broke...I bet that bolt is shared by other axles. Might be worth a trip to a dealership, or an auto parts store, with part in hand. Or a drivetrain shop I bet would have it.
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

22. #122 Re: 2011 GSW To-Do-List 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner K2's Avatar
    Coolant reservoir please. I'll PM you to make sure you get this.
    02 WJ, Lift, dents, noise and smoke.

23. #123 Re: 2011 GSW To-Do-List 
    Ryan - nope, not shared by other axles. GM and Ford have cross pin retainers in the "Help!" section....MUCH bigger than what the 44a uses. The closest one is in Fort Collins. I'll be collecting them at the junkyard tomorrow.

Ken - I got your PM. 93-95, right?
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    A bunch of KOR stuff

GSW 2010 Pics

24. #124 Re: 2011 GSW To-Do-List 
    Junkyard had 2 of the boogers...woot!

Now to eat something and get back at that damn c-clip. I grabbed a shaft while I was at the yard too just in case mine's bent. $20 is much better than the 300+ that Napa wants
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    A bunch of KOR stuff

GSW 2010 Pics

Quote Originally Posted by fpkites View Post

I grabbed a shaft while I was at the yard too just in case mine's bent
    Hmmmmm.........

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Thread Information