3 37.50%

Thread: GSSE Harlan 2011

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. #51 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    Hosting is a little more, unless somebody in that line of business wants to donate that...
    For GSW we re-direct www.grandslamwest.org to gsw.mallcrawlin.com. If you guys want the same setup, let me know.

2. #52 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    Senior Member MallCrawlin Supporter
    I would buy a shirt or 2 to help out! do you have xl?
    93 ZJ long arms, 35's, F/R Long arms, 4.56 gears, and a bunch more
    98 5.9 slate gray 4" lift with stuff (sold)
    96 ZJ Lift, Long arms, 35's and a bunch of other shit! (RIP)
    [ IRONMAN 4X4 FAB ] [ RACELINE WHEELS]

3. #53 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    Domains are cheap. $10 or $20 a year. Hosting is a little more, unless somebody in that line of business wants to donate that...
    I would just overcharge by a dollar or two for the BBQ/Shirt and let the profits go towards the domain. I thought the BBQ/Shirt costs were very reasonable last year, so I don't see an issue adding on another dollar or two. Given the number of folks that attended last year, charging an extra dollar should more than cover the domain name costs -- then just talk to Dave to get it redirected here.

I'll be honest though, I just come here for any GSSE-related info, so I know that I personally wouldn't use the domain name unless you feel like hosting payments and registration online.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 05-09-2011 at 10:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

4. #54 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    I'll be honest though, I just come here for any GSSE-related info, so I know that I personally wouldn't use the domain name unless you feel like hosting payments and registration online.
    this..

what are some of you guys ideas for a separate gsse site?
    Last edited by zjeepin; 05-10-2011 at 09:54 AM.

5. #55 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    good idea on the redirect and thanks for the hosting offer Dave

Quote Originally Posted by zjeepin View Post
    this..

I was just trying to think of why we might want one and most of the stuff we do we can do on the forum...

The only things I can think of would be:

1. a go-to place for complete info that doesn't get lost at the beginning of a thread where no one will see it after a week
    2. a way to have a more official registration, GSW-style, probably using Google docs for simplicity. then it's already in an excel spreadsheet and can be printed as a comprehensive list for check-in

6. #56 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    I will help with whatever I can, I just don't want GSSE to be stolen. I think Dave's generous offer is the way to go. We can all take up a collection to buy the URL and then have it redirected here. Maybe just have a sticky with the latest and greatest info. Just my .02

7. #57 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    If we go to the trouble to buy a web address we might as well have a website.

take a look at the gsw site that is actually a part of MC (but not a forum page): http://gsw.mallcrawlin.com/ and see which of those ideas we could borrow. Obviously we run a much simpler event so any site we'd have would be less complex, but maybe a town map + trail map and a more structured registration would be helpful...

8. #58 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    Better hurry or I'm gonna buy the name and sell dildo's attached to reciprocating saws. J/K. Their site looks ok. How the heck did they get sponsors?

9. #59 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    Shawn you bringin that rear steering pile o parts this year?

10. #60 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zjeepin View Post
    Similar to what Cam said...
    1) Basic event information
    2) Online registration and Paypal links. Dumping the registration into a database and/or spreadsheet would probably make the planning info easier.
    3) I guess this is part of (1), but I would also include trail descriptions similar to the sheet you handed out last year -- perhaps with locker/tire size recommendations in ideal conditions (I can't remember if you included that or not). That way people will get an idea of what to expect if they've never been to Harlan before.
    4) Lodging information (i.e. let it be known that the "action" is going to be on the Evarts side, not the Putney side). Include links to the campground and cabin rentals. I put together an annotated map last year in Google Maps and could expand on that if you wish.

Speaking of lodging -- one other thing that I saw is that you can rent houses in Evarts as well. Supposedly, if you get the right one, there are ones with bigger lots that can support a number of trail rigs and tents. This might be a better option than the parking lot -- err campground. That way the costs can be split among everyone and people that want to live a pampered life (like myself after that 13 hour drive) would pay extra to stay in the house. I'm 100% out for this year :-(, but just throwing that out there as an option.

For those not looking to really camp, I highly recommend the Black Mountain Cabins for folks wanting good lodging -- prices are very reasonable, too (just don't drive past the church if you are towing your rig). That's where I plan to stay at future GSSE's.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 05-11-2011 at 02:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

11. #61 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    The parking lot is tradition. Plus I hear if you make a ruckus in some of those rental houses the neighbors and/or owners get mad. I can think of several late night shenanigans from the past two years that might not fly at a rental house. What I'm trying to say is if you're volunteering to be on the hook for the security deposit...

12. #62 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    If I can keep from totaling any more saturns with the jeep then I may be able to afford the insurance long enough to get there and back. Last friday my jeep hydroplaned in the rain and spun around backwards and tail whipped a saturn that was coming from the opposite direction but was stopped in the center turn lane of a 4 lane road (he was trying to make a left). Pretty wild. It made my passenger side rear wheel well super huge and broke the $8 stud that goes from the rear steer ram into the clevis thingy. There was enough left to re-attach it loosely so I can move it around the yard and shit. The little shims that go between the clevis and ram evaporated though. I have a bunch of plastic parts from the saturn stuck in various parts of my jeep but I think I'm gonna leave them..except for the ones between the tire and the rim. Also my rock rail, that was due for replacement anyway,is now completely under the rocker panel and smooshed. Insurance said that if his car is less than $1800 then my insurance won't go up. The car I hit used to be a 96 saturn SC2 so I'm hoping it'll be under the limit.
    Last edited by StinkoMan20X6_; 05-11-2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: I can't fuckin type

13. #63 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    if i can come up with a non gas guzzler D.D. ill come on down to right seat and drink beer with everyone.
    93ish zj, d60s, 38.5 maxxis, and a bunch of other expensive parts to make them work.

Truck stacks, for when your trucks nuts are just not gay enough anymore.

14. #64 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    What is wrong with your jeep?

15. #65 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    nothing just trying to save a few dollars on fuel since ill just be getting back from myrtle beach and most likely will be broke
    93ish zj, d60s, 38.5 maxxis, and a bunch of other expensive parts to make them work.

16. #66 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    Haha, I hear that; I was just wondering if some more parts fell off

17. #67 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    lol no haven't had to use my breakaway parts since oct.

18. #68 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    Well you better come and you better be at the Cabins, because I need someone to drink with around the camp fire!

19. #69 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    im trying, i figured with no rig i could devote more time to finding stone worms and those elusive bridge girls that everyone so raves about.

20. #70 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    Bridge girls...Hahaha. I had completely forgotten about that!
    "Matt"

21. #71 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    Matt, you gonna make it to GSSE this year?

22. #72 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    Not thinking it's going to work out with my current schedule unfortunatly. I'm taking vacation around the 16th of July and I'll be behind as hell on things by the time I get back. You could always hit GSE Clay!
    "Matt"

23. #73 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    lol, true, but looks doubtful

24. #74 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    Quote Originally Posted by slim616 View Post
    im trying, i figured with no rig i could devote more time to finding stone worms and those elusive bridge girls that everyone so raves about.
    The problem with the bridge girls is that they're not elusive enough. Just ask Tard-Dong.

25. #75 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    well in that case i'll just stick with the "speak easy" girls then.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Thread Information