• July 29-31

5 62.50%
  • August 5-7

3 37.50%

Thread: GSSE Harlan 2011

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. #101 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    Quote Originally Posted by rstrucks View Post
    I'll have two with me but they are going home with my brother. If you break and need one we won't leave you stranded but you'll have to settle up with him though.

EDIT - I may have some unit bearings kicking around too. I'll check this evening.
    Sounds great, I have a spare for each side so should be alright just figured id ask. Got a few more things to do to get the zj ready but real excited for the trip! Well be pulling in Friday night, hope the dairy hut parking lot isnt dead then

Also anyone have the dairy hut campground number? I just realized we didnt even reserve a spot. Summer makes me such a slacker.
    Last edited by UTChavok; 07-25-2011 at 01:48 PM.
    -Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s
    Subscribe to our Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ClemsonOffroadClub

2. #102 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    Ronnie, did you make it last year? Glad to see another rig on 35s haha!

3. #103 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    Nah we missed it last year. I was the only one ready to go out of our club and everyone else bailed so I didnt make the drive by myself. I was there the year before when Ryan and Trucks filmed their episode. My roommates ZJ was the one in the episode where they said they could keep up with Jeeps on bigger tires even though theyre rocking 33s

Also I may be crazy but I remember reserving a spot the last time we went, but looking it up on NC4x4 they said its first come first serve and they just collect the money each day.
    Last edited by UTChavok; 07-25-2011 at 05:49 PM.
    -Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s

4. #104 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    LOL, nice Ryan!

5. #105 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    Ronnie I can't find the number to the campground but its on the harlancountytrails.com website... You can reserve sites, I've had the community site reserved for a few weeks now as well as the 2 sites under the tree

6. #106 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    Ah well the dairy hut lot is full so we might have to camp right down the road at the other lot.
    -Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s

7. #107 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    I doubt the campground will be full

8. #108 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    x2 on the dairy hut lot vacancies. a lot of people who call and reserve spots never show so those spots open up

9. #109 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    Ok cool well probably just roll in friday night and find a spot then
    -Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s

10. #110 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    So found a little bit of a problem that might keep my Jeep from coming. My driver side upper CA mount in the rear is completely ripped off and only a tiny weld holding it on. Theres a huge hole in my frame behind it. The other mount on the passenger side is also starting to rip off. I had a thud in the rear end when I accelerated from a stop and thought it was my CV in my driveshaft... apparently not. We will be getting a rig together to come though. My roommates ZJ is currently missing a transmission though so that might be a far shot. Another buddy of mine has a 4 runner on 37s and he was gonna ride with me because he trashed his rear gears a while ago but I think were gonna try to get a new set in and trailer his up there.
    -Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s

11. #111 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    better to find that problem in the driveway than in harlan, we've recovered more than one with that problem at gsse through the years.. you've got plenty of time to fix it, its summertime and you've got more than 72 hours to come up with a fix, don't be a pansie!

12. #112 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    Quote Originally Posted by zjeepin View Post
    you've got plenty of time to fix it, its summertime and you've got more than 72 hours to come up with a fix, don't be a pansie!
    x 1 zillion... get it done!

13. #113 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    plus yall already paid your ultra nonrefundable registration fee

14. #114 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    Quote Originally Posted by rstrucks View Post
    Last year I just unloaded at the campground and drove up to the cabins unloaded. I made it to the second tier/level but not without "gettin' a run at it". The gravel's just too loose to get traction - in my street tire dually anyway. The first year I had to unload halfway up the hill, it sucked.
    This sounds like it's gonna be ghey. Maybe I'll park at the bottom and ride up with Tim or Jon before I decide how much of a running start I'm gonna need to get all my giant junk up the hill. Thanks for the info though. I guess if I have to unload on the side of a mountain it wouldn't be the end of the world but it's still not something I want to do. Would suck to haul everything up there just to roll my junk trying to unload the truck, hehe.

15. #115 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    I plan to unload the Jeep at the gas station where you check-in, then driving the jeep and truck up the gravel road to the cabins. It will just be easier to do it that way. I still may have to put the truck in 4wd... even if it is unloaded... to get to the second tier. It is just that steep and loose.

16. #116 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    So looking at the roll call thread, I am going to be the only one on 35s... looks like I may have to try and hang with the big boys; hope you guys don't mind a rookie tagging along and pulling cable with you guys

17. #117 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StinkoMan20X6_ View Post
    This sounds like it's gonna be ghey. Maybe I'll park at the bottom and ride up with Tim or Jon before I decide how much of a running start I'm gonna need to get all my giant junk up the hill. Thanks for the info though. I guess if I have to unload on the side of a mountain it wouldn't be the end of the world but it's still not something I want to do. Would suck to haul everything up there just to roll my junk trying to unload the truck, hehe.
    I pulled my junk on a 16' bumper pull trailer with 4wd Ram 1500 on stock tires and didn't run into any issues last year. The part that Ryan was talking about was after you get into the cabin area. The driveway leading to the cabins is relatively steep, but it's also paved. Although if it's wet, I would highly advise unloading at the bottom of the hill. Once you get into the cabin area, all of the roads/parking is on gravel and there is a flat area you can unload your rig to reduce weight if you need to get up the tiers (there is plenty of room to back down those tiers if needed).

Last year the driveway was marking with a large "PRIVATE PROPERTY KEEP OUT" sign with "Black Mountain Cabin customers only" in about an 8 point font below it. This driveway is also the driveway for a house on the same hill. So just be aware that it IS the first driveway on the right when you get on the road. Just be sure to not drive past the church if you miss the driveway -- otherwise you are stuck going up a steep paved road that keeps getting narrower and steeper as you go up it. Once I got turned around, I drove back down the hill in 4LO 1st gear.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 07-27-2011 at 09:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

18. #118 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    plus yall already paid your ultra nonrefundable registration fee
    You think Id miss out on that BBQ?

Quote Originally Posted by BigClay View Post
    I plan to unload the Jeep at the gas station where you check-in, then driving the jeep and truck up the gravel road to the cabins. It will just be easier to do it that way. I still may have to put the truck in 4wd... even if it is unloaded... to get to the second tier. It is just that steep and loose.
    Ohh were still coming Clay, well be in my buddies 4 runner on 37s so well be right behind you the whole time. It was either try to fix mine or set up new gears and get his going. I still had a decent list besides the control arm mounts so we said screw it and set the gears last night and gonna drop the 3rd member in today. Its a pretty sick little 4 runner.
    -Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s

19. #119 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    Quote Originally Posted by BigClay View Post
    So looking at the roll call thread, I am going to be the only one on 35s... looks like I may have to try and hang with the big boys; hope you guys don't mind a rookie tagging along and pulling cable with you guys
    clay don't sweat it dude, we'll all get around and have plenty of fun..

we'll get an idea of groups both friday and sat morning since more folks will be arriving each day. There are a TON of trails at harlan I've never run that i'd like to even if they aren't the most difficult ones..

20. #120 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    Clay dont sweat...Im coming with a buddy of mine from ashville and will be riding in his scrambler on 35's.... so no, you wont be the only one! But looks like im gonna miss out on the bbq because i was stupid and forgot to register....ha but we are camping behind the dairy hut and have a site reserved so we will see yall there tomorrow night...
    88 Suzuki Samurai
    3rz, doubler w/ 4.7 geared case
    100" wb
    Built Yota's
    39.5" Iroks

21. #121 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    No worries guys, I am not sweating it, just don't want to be holding anyone up on the trails. I am so freaking excited I could barely sleep last night... tonight is going to be a real PITA haha!

Glad you are still coming Dave!

22. #122 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    I pulled my junk on a 16' bumper pull trailer with 4wd Ram 1500 on stock tires and didn't run into any issues last year. The part that Ryan was talking about was after you get into the cabin area. The driveway leading to the cabins is relatively steep, but it's also paved. Although if it's wet, I would highly advise unloading at the bottom of the hill. Once you get into the cabin area, all of the roads/parking is on gravel and there is a flat area you can unload your rig to reduce weight if you need to get up the tiers (there is plenty of room to back down those tiers if needed).

Last year the driveway was marking with a large "PRIVATE PROPERTY KEEP OUT" sign with "Black Mountain Cabin customers only" in about an 8 point font below it. This driveway is also the driveway for a house on the same hill. So just be aware that it IS the first driveway on the right when you get on the road. Just be sure to not drive past the church if you miss the driveway -- otherwise you are stuck going up a steep paved road that keeps getting narrower and steeper as you go up it. Once I got turned around, I drove back down the hill in 4LO 1st gear.
    That sounds pretty intense. I told the lady about all our huge crap and she said she was gonna save some room for my crappy 2wd at the bottom...hopefully she did - just in case I can't make it up the hill. I appreciate the info.

23. #123 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    Jeep is loaded up and on the trailer ready to go. Heading out about 10 in the morn!

24. #124 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Everyone have fun and be safe! I expect pics, videos, and a full carnage list!
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

25. #125 Re: GSSE Harlan 2011 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    Not messing around are you Clay? I still have to load up tomorrow night but at least the Jeep is ready. Although I might put the top on it still.

I'm also bringing the ATV just in case.

Oh yeah - don't forget Evarts is in a dry county - plan ahead!

EDIT - Trey (or anyone else semi-local), what has the weather been like rain wise? I'm wondering how muddy it's going to be.
    Last edited by rstrucks; 07-27-2011 at 10:46 PM.
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Thread Information