Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!!

Thread: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    Not sure where to post this info. I found these are on sale now.
    I know of 2 guys who are running this header and I just ordered mine. http://www.autopn.com/store/pc/viewp...dProduct=20009 $136 delivered!!

Here's a link to a NAXJA thread on this header http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73552
    Last edited by doyll; 02-17-2006 at 11:09 PM.
    97 ZJ Larado, 4.0, 242, skids, tow package, hooks, 3 1/3" lift, Rancho 9000 shocks, Dunlop 265/75R16 Mud Terrains with Airsoft BBs for balance, Rockrailz & OBA

Need: Adjustable front upper control arms front track bar bracket and rear adjustable track bar for 3' lift

2. #2 Re: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    Dude, that is absolute tits. Maybe the ZJ will be the first 4.0 i own that doesn't have a header leak!!!!
    to who designed the stock header...
    96 ZJ... Little bit of Jeep/Dodge/AMC/Chevy/Ford... oh, and Cummins

TOW RIG: 99 Black EC/LB Cummins. GV Overdrive Unit-AD150-Adrenaline/CTD150s-62/14/65-Valair 550hp SD-4''TB Duals/315's

3. #3 Re: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    wow. seems like it is the real deal from what people say from the other forums. I wonder if it will fit a 00 WJ...
    Balltastic.

4. #4 Re: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    The Oil Dude MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    Looks to me that the welds of the tubes and the flange are not as complete as the Banks one. The Banks one completly welds the tubes to the flang inside and out. This one looks like tack welds around the outside. Atleast from the picture anyway.

Hard to tell, give it a shot and take some good pix for us.
    Your #1 Source for Amsoil Lubricants

Lube it or Loose it!

5. #5 Re: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    I'll take some good detailed pics of mine as soon as I get it and post have one of you post them for me. When autopn called about the fat-fingered zipcode, they were very friendly and informative. It sounded like they stock only part of what they sell (pretty normal for parts houses) but do stock these headers. Was on phone with another call, so wasn't able to chat with them longer.

Cue-Ball,
    I think you are right about the spot welds on outside of flange, but not sure if that is critical. Everything else is single weld and cracking always seems to be other places. We'll know more when I get pics posted and after we use them for awhile. I suspect they are at least as good as a stock replacement at about same price, so figured it was worth the gamble.
    97 ZJ Larado, 4.0, 242, skids, tow package, hooks, 3 1/3" lift, Rancho 9000 shocks, Dunlop 265/75R16 Mud Terrains with Airsoft BBs for balance, Rockrailz & OBA

Need: Adjustable front upper control arms front track bar bracket and rear adjustable track bar for 3' lift

6. #6 Re: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    The Oil Dude MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    keep us posted. I am sure it is no worse than a stock replacement.
    Your #1 Source for Amsoil Lubricants

Lube it or Loose it!

7. #7 Re: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter TrojanMan's Avatar
    The transitions between pipes seems awfully abrupt and less smooth than the banks. It looks good for what it is, but I don't see how it is much better than the stock manifold. All things considered the stock manifold actually isn't that bad. Trouble is, however.. it's a shorty. Neither banks nor that guy has ANYTHING on my long tube borla
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    This thread proves that wheeling is better than the internet.
    Weavsworld: i dont know shit about MC, i just make it work

8. #8 Re: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    Thread on this header has additional post and pics: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73552

Just an update on dealing with supplier:

2,17,06 I fat-fingered my zip code and the they called me within 2 hours of placing order. Was told I should have header in less them a week. Was on another line and couldn't ask more info about header.

2,20,06 Received second call to make sure I wanted 2 headers and not 1. I also asked about warrentee and was told header has a 1 year replacement warrentee.

2,21,06 Received conformation of shipping along with tracking numbers at noon today.

Will take pics and post when it arrives.

9. #9 Re: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanMan
    The transitions between pipes seems awfully abrupt and less smooth than the banks. It looks good for what it is, but I don't see how it is much better than the stock manifold. All things considered the stock manifold actually isn't that bad. Trouble is, however.. it's a shorty. Neither banks nor that guy has ANYTHING on my long tube borla
    Well, I've looked at pics of both side by side and only difference I see is the tack weld on outside of manifold flange and maybe flange is 2 piece with 3 tubes in each. Transitions between pipes? 3 pipes into collector, 2 collectors into collector to header pipe connection. Tell you what. I'll give you a feather and you give me your Borla. That way we can both be tickled.

10. #10 Re: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    Well, header showed up as scheduled. It looks good. I have detailed pics of welding and collector inside views. PM me your email address and I'll send them. It's a 24MB .rar file so you can enlarge to see detail. If anyone knows how to post them, I'll send them to you to post.

Thanks

11. #11 Re: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    I can post them but I'll have to down size them a lot.
    Anthony

96 Talon TSI AWD - Hey, at least it has a transfer case.
    03 Chevy Tracker - I hate IFS!

12. #12 Re: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeMud
    I can post them but I'll have to down size them a lot.
    That's fine. I suspected as much. You can post only what you think is best too. Where should I send them? You can PM me.

Thanks

13. #13 Re: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    Here's the pics doyll sent me.

Anthony

14. #14 Re: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    Thanks ILikeMud!

15. #15 Re: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    no problem, sadly photobucket shurk them.

Header doesn't look half bad imo.
    How do you like it?
    Anthony

16. #16 Re: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    I rather buy the long tube Borla's they are a better torque maker than a short style.
    The Fleet:
    92 XJ 4.7L AW4 NP 242 Dana 30 with lock right 2000 XJ brakes and stub shafts, Chrysler 8.25 with 29 spline shafts and trac lock 4.56s, 35 12.5 BFG MTs on Soft 8 steelies
    2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Off Road
    2005 KJ(Wifes Jeep)
    96 ZJ Project Creampuff because it is insanely clean

17. #17 Re: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    Quote Originally Posted by rob92xj
    I rather buy the long tube Borla's they are a better torque maker than a short style.
    yep, long tube borla = best low end torque.

18. #18 Re: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    Quote Originally Posted by rob92xj
    Absolutley right! Longer tubes are more torque. Does Borla bolt onto stock header pipe? Because if it does, it's same length. I think this is much better then a stock manifold for very little price increase.
    Last edited by doyll; 04-03-2006 at 12:56 AM.

19. #19 Re: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    just me or am i not seeing any head mounting holes?
    [__] ||||||||| [__]

85 and sunny

Quote Originally Posted by Kraqa
    Phone numbers in canada are, Area code: (hoockey stick) blocker, helmet, puck- blocker, blocker, zambony, wayne gretsky.

20. #20 Re: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    Quote Originally Posted by doyll
    Absoluted right! Longer tubes are more torque. Does Borla bolt onto stock header pipe? Because if it does, it's same length. I think this is much better then a stock manifold for very little price increase.
    the borla longtube goes all the way to the catalytic converter, it comes with a new S pipe.

21. #21 Re: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    Quote Originally Posted by doyll
    Absoluted right! Longer tubes are more torque. Does Borla bolt onto stock header pipe? Because if it does, it's same length. I think this is much better then a stock manifold for very little price increase.
    Comes with a mandrel bent "s" pipe that is 2.5" in dia. and hooks up to the cat if you were to upgrage your cat to a 2.5" dia cat that you could have a true 2.5" exhaust and it does make a difference on the trail as I have to use less throttle with my current exhaust so it does make power down low.
    The Fleet:
    92 XJ 4.7L AW4 NP 242 Dana 30 with lock right 2000 XJ brakes and stub shafts, Chrysler 8.25 with 29 spline shafts and trac lock 4.56s, 35 12.5 BFG MTs on Soft 8 steelies
    2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Off Road
    2005 KJ(Wifes Jeep)
    96 ZJ Project Creampuff because it is insanely clean

22. #22 Re: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    BANNED Lifetime Supporter CurtP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luvthejeep
    just me or am i not seeing any head mounting holes?
    It's for an I6 dude. They don't have mounting holes (except the very front and back IIRC).

23. #23 Re: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    For those of you that have these installed in your ZJ

How close is the header pipe to your motor mount ?

These seem to transistion downward sooner than the stocker does.
    96 ZJ 4.0 4.5 RE LongArm 8.8 Rear
    Price is soon forgotten, Quality is not

24. #24 Re: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    Quote Originally Posted by JPZJ
    For those of you that have these installed in your ZJ

How close is the header pipe to your motor mount ?

These seem to transistion downward sooner than the stocker does.
    Bolts in no problem. Everything fits and clears fine.. Bolts to head and stock header pipe like stock welded manifold. I have it on mine along with a 99+ intake. I just spend 3 days wheeling in Death Valley and can say it works well. I got 18.5 mpg driving 70 mph on my 97 with 3" lift and 265/75r/16 dunlop MTs going to and from the park. mileage when wheeling was less of course. Power with the lift and tires feels like it did with stock intake and exhaust on stock tires and no lift.

25. #25 Re: Banks look-a-like 4.0 headers cheap!! 
    99+ intake and Banks lookalike install on 97 I-6

Only problem I had was with #6 intake manifold casting and #6 exhaust tube interference... I clearanced for about 1/8"+ space between them with my die grinder for about 1/16"+ on bottom of intake and flattening exhaust tube about same using a 1 1/2" socket and hammer on exhaust tube in 3 places about 3/8" apart. You can see pics at: http://www.wiedenman.com/pub/intake/

As for mileage/power differences... not sure. I live at 4000' and am now in SoCal. Engine is stronger here anyway. Add a 3.5" lift and 32's a couple days before intake/exhaust and ..... I think it's stronger on bottom end power. This weekend I spent 3 days wheeling in Death Valley and can say it works well. I got 18.5 mpg driving 70 - 80 mph on my 97 going to and from the park. mileage when wheeling was less of course. Power with the lift and tires feels like it did with stock intake and exhaust on stock tires and no lift.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thread Information