Thread: Thoughts on what to do w/this 44a

1. #1 Thoughts on what to do w/this 44a 
    My new (to me) zj has 225k on the clock. I was going to buy a spartan for it, and started to wonder is there a way I can tell if this axle is about to grenade because of the miles?

Not sure if I should hit up the JY for a lower mileage 44a? or run the current til it breaks, and either get another JY 44a and swap the locker, or just move to an 8.8?

I wanted to stay w/a 44a because I've read they are decent strength for up to 33s (my max tire size - no, really), but I also read if you go to 4:56, you start getting problems?

In the process of buying a diff guard for it now too.

2. #2 Re: Thoughts on what to do w/this 44a 
    If it is quiet you should be ok. But it wouldnt hurt to pull the cover and see if you have some metal floating around in there. Plus at that mileage you may have a trac loc case and its just completely shot and acting like an open. In that case you would need a different carrier.
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

3. #3 Re: Thoughts on what to do w/this 44a 
    Thanks. Never thought of that.

Well, after I repalced a driver's side rear caliper that was seized, I now can hear noise coming from the back. I think it's a pass side rear seized caliper, but will need to pull that and check it.

If it's not seized, the rear is probably bad.

4. #4 Re: Thoughts on what to do w/this 44a 
    Even if your looking at a "bad" rear end, what's the big deal? If your regearing it, your already replacing the gears and all the bearings/seals inside the diff. That only leaves the wheel bearings to go bad which you could replace at the same time anyways, then you'd have a brand new rear axle.

I ran mine HARD on 33"s and didn't end up breaking it (an axleshaft) till I stepped up to 35"s and wheeled for a year
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

5. #5 Re: Thoughts on what to do w/this 44a 
    Yeah, i've seen some of your vids on yt lol. Thanks.

I was just wondering if mileage made it a bad choice to put money into (although I can tell it hasn't been wheeled). Not sure how soon I will re-gear, but most likely next year and then i'll redo everything in there.

My xj had an 8.8, and I just didn't want to spend the money/time to fab one up for the zj which of course is more $ and work.

I've heard/read the deeper gearing causes issues w/this axle though? why would this be?

6. #6 Re: Thoughts on what to do w/this 44a 
    A lot of shops dont like setting up gears with these axles since they can be a pita due to the thermal expansion properties of the aluminum centersection. Honestly the 4.56 isnt too much different than the 3.73 or 4.10 as far as pinion size. Its not like you are wanting to run 5.13 (not availible just an example) If the diff has never been overhauled we usually reduce carrier shims by .002 per side. TTR should only be 20-30 in/lb when you are done.
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

7. #7 Re: Thoughts on what to do w/this 44a 
    Hey, thank you!

Cool. So I'll march forward w/this axle. Just bought a blue torch fab cover for $80. Will prob pull trigger on spartan this week.

Thread Information