Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
My shop thread - Page 3

Thread: My shop thread

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #51 Re: My shop thread 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zjeepin View Post
    I'm sure elliot is used to using a thunderpot by now anyway.. dam hippie
    Actually I form all of my feces into a compostable paste which I can use as spackle, hair gel, or just throw it in a pot with a potato, some curry... you got yourself a nice stew going!
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

2. #52 Re: My shop thread 
    Good start on a wicked garage! Just a heads up when you're cutting the cement board with a carbide saw blade, **wear a dust mask**. n95 or better

http://www.pactool.us/snappershear/ <-- all the products on this page are the tools the pros use, manual shear is nice to use. Nothing wrong with using a mitresaw and 4-6T blade

http://www.pactool.us/geckogauge/index.htm <-- highly recommend you find one of these, or similar product. It will make the job turn out much better with less hassle

Also might consider if you have exterior power outlets buying a carbide jigsaw blade for cutouts

3. #53 Re: My shop thread 
    Quote Originally Posted by nazerine View Post
    Good start on a wicked garage! Just a heads up when you're cutting the cement board with a carbide saw blade, **wear a dust mask**. n95 or better

http://www.pactool.us/snappershear/ <-- all the products on this page are the tools the pros use, manual shear is nice to use. Nothing wrong with using a mitresaw and 4-6T blade

http://www.pactool.us/geckogauge/index.htm <-- highly recommend you find one of these, or similar product. It will make the job turn out much better with less hassle

Also might consider if you have exterior power outlets buying a carbide jigsaw blade for cutouts
    Thanks man. I've been wearing a p100 respirator whenever cutting any of it. Trey here lent me the shear and it is really a cool tool. Great for the panels especially. Although the edges can get a little crumbly. It's not a big deal on seams that will get caulked but for any visible cuts I like the finish of a jigsaw blade. Need to find some carbide blades for mine though. I've been using wood blades and the fiber cement absolutely rapes them. Lowes doesn't seem to think anybody cuts fiber cement though. It's pretty comical how bad their selection is when it comes to cutting anything other than wood.

To hang the boards I've been using a set of Malco gauges and I really don't know how I would do it without them.

4. #54 Re: My shop thread 
    Update. (yes more crappy pics from my ancient iphone 3g)

I've been working on paneling the inside of my garage during the evenings the last couple of weeks. I'm glad I did because coincidentally I lost my trailer storage and long story short that led me to go ahead and bring my rig over earlier this week. The inside is not quite done. Still need to put up a little more insulation and one more panel and get the siding out for it to be fully useable. But I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out. I decided to use smartside engineered wood paneling because it's durable and easy to work with compared to drywall and because I already had several sheets to get me started. The back wall of the shop is beadboard because I had it too. And the two short front walls are actually MaxiTile fiber cement panels. It's overkill but I had leftovers from doing the outside.

for some reason these kobalt sockets were $9 at lowes a couple months back. now they are $40. toolbox is new too, a craftsman cheapy- my first ever real toolbox.

There are no outside pics yet but there has been more progress there too. Hopefully the outside will be done within a month or so. Let's hope so because there is still some sheathing exposed that needs wrap and siding bad

5. #55 Re: My shop thread 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Jeep Whore's Avatar
    Its looking sweet! just wondering..... where is the fridge full of beer gunna go?
    _______.00000. << ---Mine------____.____.
    //_|__l__,\____\,___---Dads>> /l __,[____],_
    l_--\__\__l---\[]llllll[]| -----------l--|_|-L-OllllllllO-
    (o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ----------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    Glws = good looking wagon sir

6. #56 Re: My shop thread 
    looks nice man i'm def jealous. i've always wanted a big shop with a 2nd floor i could live in.

7. #57 Re: My shop thread 
    Cam, you are going to be so glad that you went ahead with the white/light colored walls. It makes it so much brighter and easier to see to work on stuff.
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

8. #58 Re: My shop thread 
    Looks real good Cam. How long you gonna keep it that clean?
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    The password is newbgasm.
    www.crawlerready.com
    "For The Truly Addicted!"

9. #59 Re: My shop thread 
    Senior Member MallCrawlin Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady View Post
    HA, that's funny right there!
    But, knowing how much effort you put into it I know you'll keep it clean! Still funny though.

10. #60 Re: My shop thread 
    Ive been useing Kobolt tools for years with very good luck, however they used to be made in the USA and they just changed there tool supplier and now there all made in Taiwan!!!
    I took a ratchet back to get it replaced and the tool guy didnt believe me until I showed him the lable on the old stuff compared to the new

11. #61 Re: My shop thread 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep Whore View Post
    Its looking sweet! just wondering..... where is the fridge full of beer gunna go?
    Ha I'm trying to decide. I have the minifridge ready. Even made my brother give it back to me after I loaned it to him with the caveat that I would indian give it in a heartbeat the day I got a shop. I think I want it up off the floor maybe on another shelf/rack but I am having trouble deciding. Til then I can carry my beer back and forth from the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    Cam, you are going to be so glad that you went ahead with the white/light colored walls. It makes it so much brighter and easier to see to work on stuff.
    The awesome part is that is just primer. When/if I paint I will go even lighter so it will get even brighter. And I have a couple bulbs out from a bad ballast too. The pics make it look darker than it is but I want it freakishly bright in there so I never have to mess with droplights etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady View Post
    Funny you ask. Thanks to the worlds smallest oil pan I inherited with the house, 30minutes ago I just irrigated the floor with enough 5w30 to make the deepwater horizon spill look tiny.

Quote Originally Posted by cwm View Post
    Ive been useing Kobolt tools for years with very good luck, however they used to be made in the USA and they just changed there tool supplier and now there all made in Taiwan!!!
    I took a ratchet back to get it replaced and the tool guy didnt believe me until I showed him the lable on the old stuff compared to the new
    Not surprising... sounds about like Craftsman's story. Kobalt is way overpriced unless you find something on sale or priced wrong. Still it's good for the warranty and convenient because I am at lowes way too much. If I ever break a hand socket though I must be doing something stupid. So on second thought good thing there's a warranty

12. #62 Re: My shop thread 
    Ha I'm trying to decide. I have the minifridge ready. Even made my brother give it back to me after I loaned it to him with the caveat that I would indian give it in a heartbeat the day I got a shop. I think I want it up off the floor maybe on another shelf/rack but I am having trouble deciding. Til then I can carry my beer back and forth from the house.
    option 1: keep getting beer from the house but get and train a dog to open close and get a beer from that fridge.

option 2:train your buddy / kid to do the same thing as option 1

option 3: get a tool box with a fridge in it!

but it might be best up on a shelf unless you need the space if its on your workbench.

13. #63 Re: My shop thread 
    nice work cam. I've been trying to get my garage sorted out but i've been going more backwards than forwards the last few weeks

14. #64 Re: My shop thread 
    Looking good - any updates?

15. #65 Re: My shop thread 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep Whore View Post
    option 1: keep getting beer from the house but get and train a dog to open close and get a beer from that fridge.
    This was my roommate's dog in college:

Ya, any updates on this sweet garage? Putting it to any use ?
    I collect Jeeps.

The Polar Bear Build on Mall Crawlin
    The Polar Bear Detailed Build

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

16. #66 Re: My shop thread 
    Cool dog. mine isn't quite that well trained.

Thanks guys. The shop is coming along and I'll have a real update soon. The good news is that it has finally been welded in. I don't have any big projects but maintenance on the rig between wheeling trips is enough right now.

As funds allow I want to get this shop outfitted with some decent tools. First up I think will be a drill press, but that's still TBD. I want to keep as much floor space as possible because it's nice to be able to have the rig in there and my tow rig for pre-trip maintenance at the same time and still be able to easily walk around both without getting snagged on stuff in the way or tripping over anything.

Nag me again if I forget to put pics up within about a month

17. #67 Re: My shop thread 
    Update....you've had like 3 days to get some stuff done. :p.. Nice shop btw. Ready for a 14 bolt party yet?
    Last edited by mtubenzie; 10-27-2011 at 11:31 AM.

18. #68 Re: My shop thread 
    Haha right. I actually did start pulling my front axle apart last night to get ready to replace that slightly leaky axle seal. The good surprise was that the non-neckdown ten factory inner that ECGS sold me isn't twisted yet.

I tested my inherited 1100 btu heater too. I'm ready when you are.

19. #69 Re: My shop thread 
    I want to keep as much floor space as possible because it's nice to be able to have the rig in there and my tow rig for pre-trip maintenance at the same time and still be able to easily walk around both without getting snagged on stuff in the way or tripping over anything.
    That's a good plan. My goal was to keep everything that was going to be sitting on the floor movable. Obviously small things can be tossed around, but anything of any substantial weight I have put on casters. This allows for easy cleaning and re-arranging if I need to pull something else into the shop.

20. #70 Re: My shop thread 
    Haha right. I actually did start pulling my front axle apart last night to get ready to replace that slightly leaky axle seal. The good surprise was that the non-neckdown ten factory inner that ECGS sold me isn't twisted yet.

I tested my inherited 1100 btu heater too. I'm ready when you are.
    Thats cool... I need to replace them there leaky axle seals too. Do you need a case spreader to get the carrier/ring gear out? Good deal on the shaft not being twisted...its not like your ever bouncing off the rev-limiter or anything :p

We'll start when the snow flys...im gonna wheel this thing till it gets too cold before i tear it apart on purpose....

21. #71 Re: My shop thread 
    Little update...

I hooked up my inherited 110v shop heater (also air conditioner and dehumidifier) once I found the motivation and the hoses laying around upstairs. I'm pretty excited about this unit. Hopefully I can make some good progress on a few projects I have in mind over the winter months.

Here is also a bunch of stuff taking up space that I will eventually repurpose. The handtruck is a 1970s or maybe earlier version of what people used to use to move massive soft drink machines. I got it from my brother who came by it legally but had no desire to own it. Might have to become an oxy/acetylene cart or something like that. The black dolly next to it, under the sawhorses, is also really heavy duty and I think it would make a great rolling tool stand. Just have to figure out what.

Also I finally got the outside of the building wrapped up. Siding soffit and paint are done. I still need to put up some floodlights where the wires are hanging and put up some permanent handrails on the stairs.

Last edited by ATL ZJ; 11-05-2011 at 07:45 PM.

22. #72 Re: My shop thread 
    looking good.

is the upper half a man cave?

23. #73 Re: My shop thread 
    Jealousy. Looks great man!
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    The password is newbgasm.
    www.crawlerready.com
    "For The Truly Addicted!"

24. #74 Re: My shop thread 
    Thanks guys. Right now the upper half is unfinished and I'm just using it for storage. Within the next year or two I'd like to drywall it, get flooring down and maybe drink beer and play a little foosball up there

25. #75 Re: My shop thread 
    What about an update there Camerooony

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Thread Information