Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

My shop thread - Page 2

Thread: My shop thread

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #26 Re: My shop thread 
    Member Lifetime Supporter
    Nice garage!

2. #27 Re: My shop thread 
    Senior Member MallCrawlin Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dp96zj View Post
    Nice save, but I had to
    Nice haha! The garage looks great man I cant wait to have my own!
    93 ZJ long arms, 35's, F/R Long arms, 4.56 gears, and a bunch more
    98 5.9 slate gray 4" lift with stuff (sold)
    96 ZJ Lift, Long arms, 35's and a bunch of other shit! (RIP)
    [ IRONMAN 4X4 FAB ] [ RACELINE WHEELS]

3. #28 Re: My shop thread 
    I work at a busy diesel shop we have a lot of big rigs and custom fabrication jobs, the epoxy sealer holds up well so long as the prep is good we repaint the floors every 5 to 10 years. Non epoxy concrete sealer would work well also such as the water plug sealer you buy at walmart that is what i use on my personal shop and it holds up well.

4. #29 Re: My shop thread 
    Got a little more done... mostly cleaning and getting the 5' x 7' holes closed up. I decided to install a door in the side of the shop so I don't have to enter through the main garage door all the time. Should keep it a little warmer in there during the winter when I need to go in and out a lot.

I also built a workbench a few weeks ago, right before I moved in. It's already gotten a bunch of use...

Some wood that I inherited with the house

And this is where most of my time has gone. The P.O. tore out a wall in the house and left exposed support beams and wiring which I had to relocate. Here's my cover-up job

5. #30 Re: My shop thread 
    Not a bad cover up job at all!

6. #31 Re: My shop thread 
    cool!
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

7. #32 Re: My shop thread 
    As of Saturday I have about 5000 lb of fiber cement siding on the way that is being delivered tomorrow. 24 4x10 textured panels and 248 twelve foot 9.25" planks. A portion of that is for the house but the other 55-60% will be going on the garage. Never having done any siding work before, I am looking into what I may need to cut it. I may try the score and snap method on a lot of the straight cuts, but for angles I was thinking about picking this up along with a fiber cement blade. Anyone used this saw before?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0975_200400975

8. #33 Re: My shop thread 
    Member Lifetime Supporter 95lumberwagon's Avatar
    Kluch is Northern tools comparable entry level like Lowes Hitachi or the Depot's Ryobi. Expect to spend time adjusting the miter saw when you first get it, this is where the price makes a difference. It doesn't sound like you are looking for a top o the line saw so whatever you get just get a good blade :
    http://www.forrestblades.com Yes they cost more than your saw but, trust me the blade makes all the difference.

9. #34 Re: My shop thread 
    Well, due to the width of my material (9"+) and the fact that I will be making a lot of angled cuts means I probably need a sliding miter. Most sliding compound miter saws are $500+ and since I'll really only be using it for a couple months, it would be really hard to justify spending 5x more. The northern saw will end up being $109 after the $20 off coupon I have.

Thanks for the info on the blades. However, I can't find any blades on that site that say they are specifically made for fiber cement. I was looking at grabbing a 6 tooth freud blade designed specially for fiber cement since that is what I'll be cutting. They seem to have a really good reputation too.

10. #35 Re: My shop thread 
    Man let me know if you wanna borrow my shears for that stuff, I don't use them very often anymore..

11. #36 Re: My shop thread 
    Member Lifetime Supporter 95lumberwagon's Avatar
    Yeah Forrest doesn't make blades for fiber cement just using them as an example of a good miter saw blade. Really for Fiber Cement that Kluch saw and a blade like the Freud or any from Depot or Lowes would work great for what your doing.

12. #37 Re: My shop thread 
    Quote Originally Posted by zjeepin View Post
    Man let me know if you wanna borrow my shears for that stuff, I don't use them very often anymore..
    Yeah man that would be awesome, I probably do... Do they work on the panels, if I had to rip a foot off the width of one for example?

13. #38 Re: My shop thread 
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    Yeah man that would be awesome, I probably do... Do they work on the panels, if I had to rip a foot off the width of one for example?
    yeah they'll work well for that...

14. #39 Re: My shop thread 
    Time for a minor update. I finished the interior work in the house and have been able to get some stuff done outside. So far Maggie is enjoying my handiwork.

I got the whole lower level of the shop wrapped with housewrap. Big thanks to Pearce for coming by and giving me the scaffolding 101 lesson. Fortunately I inherited some from the P.O. The garage door is also in. I ended up getting a much fancier door than I expected after finding a good deal on a new extra door from a local manufacturer on craigslist. It's insulated and has a weather resistant overlay so I won't complain.

I've also been gathering tools, including the Klutch saw and Freud blade as mentioned before. So hopefully I'll make some good progress hanging siding over the next couple weeks.
    Last edited by ATL ZJ; 04-13-2011 at 06:18 PM.

15. #40 Re: My shop thread 
    nice dude! i might get to start one of these soon, but only for a meager 2car attached.

16. #41 Re: My shop thread 
    Very nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    The password is newbgasm.
    www.crawlerready.com
    "For The Truly Addicted!"

17. #42 Re: My shop thread 
    the door looks awesome dude..

forgot to ask does the garage apt have any plumbing?

18. #43 Re: My shop thread 
    Thanks guys... unfortunately it has no plumbing. Not sure why. I have plumbing out in the foundation where they were going to put an addition though, so maybe it could be run out to the shop building later. For now though Elliott's gonna have to use a bucket.

19. #44 Re: My shop thread 
    Thanks guys... unfortunately it has no plumbing. Not sure why. I have plumbing out in the foundation where they were going to put an addition though, so maybe it could be run out to the shop building later. For now though Elliott's gonna have to use a bucket.
    I'm sure elliot is used to using a thunderpot by now anyway.. dam hippie

It'd be nice to have a sink out there.. i always left a trail of greasy handprints into the house at my old place

20. #45 Re: My shop thread 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    I have plumbing out in the foundation where they were going to put an addition though, so maybe it could be run out to the shop building later.

Hang it up on a wall, secure the spigot so that it can't move, and put a bucket below it. Water pressure of course isn't great, but it's usually good enough to get your hands clean enough when you need it. I'd imagine that if you pointed a light bulb or work lamp towards the bag, it could probably heat up the water in colder temps.

It's a bit ghetto, but hey, it's better than nothing. For the $10-15 investment, it's a cheap way to hold you over until you can afford to run plumbing into the garage. This was my "sink" in my old garage. Worked well enough to get my hands clean every time. Just needed to empty out the bucket and refill the shower when it got low.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 04-14-2011 at 12:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

21. #46 Re: My shop thread 
    It's kinda funny. I just sold a large cast iron sink that was part of the grab back of leftovers that came with the house. I could have used that as a parts washer or a wash station, but at this point I'd rather have the cash.

I'm not so sure about the camp shower but I like the creativity. Eventually I guess I could put a utility sink in the walk-under area beneath the deck to-be since I already have plumbing there. It's just a short walk and there are no doorknobs to get filthy. For a while I'll just be glad to have to worry about having greasy hands... because that will mean the shop is operational.

22. #47 Re: My shop thread 
    wouldn't take too much $ or time to just bury one pvc line out there, one hose spigot and up to a shop sink faucet, then just have the sink drain back outside. my dad has had this setup in his place since 96....works great to clean up the hands, fill a water bowl for the pup, etc.

you doing permits for all this work?

23. #48 Re: My shop thread 
    Sounds like a great project for later on. I'm already about capped out just doing the siding and exterior work. Luxuries can come later. I like to finish my projects

No permits yet. Will have to pull one for the deck but the rest can sneak by without based on my interpretation of the county requirements. Another reason to wait on the plumbing...

24. #49 Re: My shop thread 
    Quote Originally Posted by zjeepin View Post
    I'm sure elliot is used to using a thunderpot by now anyway.. dam hippie
    Fucking LOL'd tks
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

25. #50 Re: My shop thread 
    I like to finish my projects
    ...zing!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Thread Information