Thread: TOTM: Tires

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #51 Re: TOTM: March '11 - Tires 
    Might as well throw my experience in there, since it was bumped....

BFG M/T's 31x10.5x15" - Great in mud, on mild rock, and decent on the street. Obviously they're pretty noisy on-road, but they got the job done. Put a decent amount of road mileage on them before they needed replacement. I'd buy them again (or a km2) if I had the $$$ and was looking to outfit a 50% street / 50% trail Jeep.

BFG A/T's 31x10.5x15" - No thanks. Everyone has great luck with them, so I gave them a shot. They wore down to ZERO tread in less than two years, less than 15k miles. They were rotated every 3k; they wore evenly, but quickly. They have great on-road characteristics, up until half of the tread's gone, then they start hydroplaning. Obviously they suck in mud, so not very useful down south.

Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs 33x12.5x15" - My current rubber-of-choice. I thought I'd give them a shot since my A/T's brought teh suck. On-road characteristics are similar to the A/T; no road noise, have great handling, and good wet traction (so far). They're also wearing great, so far. Rotated every 3k. Much better than the A/T's in mud, until you get into the thick stuff. I would recommend them if you are looking for an A/T style tire for a lighter, SUV-type DD. Definitely avoid them if you're looking to outfit a heavy truck. The sidewall construction is the same material and ply count regardless of weight range. When I was first looking at these tires, most of the negative reviews are from people who put them on 350's and 3500's and had "squirrely" handling and issues like that.
    Last edited by dp96zj; 04-15-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek33
    Its a jeep, it doesn't have to make sense.

2. #52 Re: TOTM: Tires 
    throwing these into the mix

Fierce Attitude M/T

http://www.fiercetires.com/tires/att...mt/index.html#
    95 ZJ | Clayton 6" | 8.8 | HP30 | 4.88s | Aussie F/R | 242 SYE | 35 MTZs

Paragon ♠ Tellico ◊ Big Dogs ♣ Rausch Creek ♥ Moab ♠ Rubicon

3. #53 Re: TOTM: Tires 
    So is fierce just a division of goodyear? A branding strategy? When you search their dealer locator it pings goodyear.com

4. #54 Re: TOTM: Tires 

5. #55 Re: TOTM: Tires 
    The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    I'm curious about Fierce tires, I almost bought a set of the Instinct ZR's for my car.

6. #56 Re: TOTM: Tires 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    What's the sidewall like on those bad boys? Sidewall strength tends to be the downfall of most "cheaper" MTs.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

7. #57 Re: TOTM: Tires 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    MultiMile XTX 31" AT's. Fantastic in snow, ice, rain, and sand. Works on slick rock. I keep hearing I should have MT or at least large knobs but when I watch others (with similar setup but MT's) there doesn't seem to be much difference. Maybe if my rear was locked and I was more extreme it would matter. But there was a much greater rockclimbing difference when put the Aussie in the front than when I changed my tires (both pere and post unlocked).
    Dead quiet on the road.

Hmmm still cant add picts.
    Last edited by ZJ TINS; 03-30-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
    “The great object is that every man be armed.” -Patrick Henry

8. #58 Re: TOTM: Tires 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    so this is an annuall TOTM thread?

well any way this is my tire story...

31 10.5 15 Kelly safari msr's
    good on slick-rock and general wheeling, I got them with less than 1/2 tread so I don't know about ware but that said they where not very good on mud or snow, did good on highway. it took me about a year of dd and wheeling to finish them off.

31 10.5 15 cooper off brand snow's
    did good in snow (duh!) not very good for any real wheeling had them for a winter then...

33 12.5 15 pro comp at's
    had them for 3 year's and hands down one of the best and truest at's I ever had! used them as dd/off road tires and as my main vehicle that whole time!
    the only issue I ever had whit them was the clean-out in mud! but they performed good in ice/snow, sand, slick rock, dusty dirt and most mud situations except for the greasy mine mud ( what I call axle grease)
    when I sold them last year they still had 3/4 tread would most defenatly recommend them for anyone that needs a good at!

35 12.50 15 KM2's (current)
    dont use them much for dd-ing but so far the best off-road tire I have had! still have yet to test them in mud or snow but so far dang good tires!

my .02 on psi
    run them close to the what the vehicle's sticker says then try to match the load rating to the vehicle as well, E- 1/2 to 3/4 ton trucks, D- light duty trucks (rangers, tacoma's etc,) and C- Jeeps and other light suv's!
    most zj's, wj's, wk's run best at 35psi as to match the GVWR!
    Last edited by Stealth Crawler ZJ; 03-31-2012 at 04:10 PM.
    "ZJ's were designed with the intention to take 1 really good hit, and fold up. As long as the occupants walked away, it was a success. In the wheeling world, we expect our vehicles to take multiple really good hits, drive out of it, and run the obstacle again!"

9. #59 Re: TOTM: Tires 
    I like my km2's but not great on a thin layer of snow... scared the cap out of my family as I. Lost the back end on a canyon road deciding to spin the zj to the inside of the curve knowing I couldnt correct it...wishing they were siped for icelight snow driving...have some slight chunking from the rocks but holding up well to dd abuse...unlike my treadwright MT's
    98 4.0 Grand Cherokee, custom work in progress 4.5", 32's, WJ knuckle conversion, and some bolt ons.

10. #60 Re: TOTM: Tires 
    Quote Originally Posted by gully369 View Post
    I like my km2's but not great on a thin layer of snow...
    my last tire purchase was MTZs vs KM2s - went with MTZs because they are siped. My set is also proving to be a high mileage tire. Not sure what my next set will be, but pricing on MTZs has gone thru the roof since i purchased mine a few years ago.

http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...?16004-titties!!
    Last edited by Sudz; 04-01-2012 at 12:10 PM.
    95 ZJ | Clayton 6" | 8.8 | HP30 | 4.88s | Aussie F/R | 242 SYE | 35 MTZs

Paragon ♠ Tellico ◊ Big Dogs ♣ Rausch Creek ♥ Moab ♠ Rubicon

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Thread Information