Thread: TOTM: Tires

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #26 Re: TOTM: March - Tires 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Jeep Whore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by biggoofy View Post
    Why are you running so much pressure?
    i know you can get some better millage at 40 but 50?
    _______.00000. << ---Mine------____.____.
    //_|__l__,\____\,___---Dads>> /l __,[____],_
    l_--\__\__l---\[]llllll[]| -----------l--|_|-L-OllllllllO-
    (o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ----------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    Glws = good looking wagon sir

2. #27 Re: TOTM: March - Tires 
    Senior Member it usually runs fine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep Whore View Post
    i know you can get some better millage at 40 but 50?
    40 is still retarded high. I run the 37's at 22psi on road, 10psi off and run my beadlocked 35's 25psi on road and 5psi off. I guess 50psi is cool though if you hate the way tires with tread look.
    Some girls don't like guys like me, but some girls do.

3. #28 Re: TOTM: March - Tires 
    31x10.50x15 Treadwright
    Old MTR tread
    BFG A/T carcass
    20/32" tread depth new
    18/32" with 15,000 miles
    Hum on the highway (No roar)
    Balanced out better then normal MTRs and BFGs
    Work well in mud/woody trails/sand
    Not to much rock crawling here in MI so cant help you there.
    94' ZJ Limited Edition $200 project
    4.0, 231, Tube Doors, IRO 3.5in lift, 31" Treadright MTR retreads, Kevin's Core Support.

4. #29 Re: TOTM: March - Tires 
    The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by it usually runs fine View Post
    40 is still retarded high. I run the 37's at 22psi on road, 10psi off and run my beadlocked 35's 25psi on road and 5psi off. I guess 50psi is cool though if you hate the way tires with tread look.
    It depends on tire size and load rating as much as it does the vehicle they're on. I'll agree that 50 and even 40 is high, but I run my load range C 32x11.50s at 35 on the street. Under inflation can cause just as many wear issues as over inflation can.

5. #30 Re: TOTM: March - Tires 
    Chalk test fawkers!

That said I run 35 in mine as well.
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

6. #31 Re: TOTM: March - Tires 
    The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeptech01 View Post
    Chalk test fawkers!
    QFT

7. #32 Re: TOTM: March - Tires 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    I have run BFG AT's, KM2's and Pitbull Rocker radials on my ZJ.

BFG AT - 245/75/16" (IIRC) load range E. These were used when I towed with my ZJ. Good stiff sidewalls and plenty of strength. They rode decent, fairly quiet, wore evenly and did ok in the snow. I got lots of miles out of them (around 45K) before I sold them with about 5-7K left on them.

KM2 - 305/70/16 (35"). Great all around tire. Quiet on the highway with just slight tire noise at speed and around 10mph. Good grip in rocks, decent in mud. No experience in the snow or sand. Got about 8 or 10K miles out of them before going to a larger size. I'd say they had about 25-35K left on them.

Pitbull Rockers radials - 37/12.50/17. Great off-road tire. I have been really happy with these tires. Great traction in everything I have done. These days I don't street drive my ZJ much so I have know idea about tread wear. They are fairly loud on the road at 60ish. I did manage to cut a sidewall last trip out but I'm not sure any other tire would have been any different as it was a sharp slice and not a gash. They also measure out to be just about a true 37" tall. I have run them at 5 psi and they gripped like crazy but I typically run at about 8 or 9 to keep some sidewall stiffness for stability for going faster. I would buy these tires again in a heart beat.
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

8. #33 Re: TOTM: March - Tires 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Jeep Whore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by it usually runs fine View Post
    We run 30-35 on road, but when we drove it we did 40 once or twice.
    _______.00000. << ---Mine------____.____.
    //_|__l__,\____\,___---Dads>> /l __,[____],_
    l_--\__\__l---\[]llllll[]| -----------l--|_|-L-OllllllllO-
    (o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ----------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    Glws = good looking wagon sir

9. #34 Re: TOTM: March - Tires 
    Quote Originally Posted by biggoofy View Post
    Why are you running so much pressure?

The KM2 says "Max 50 psi"...I just figured these were like normal tires and you run a higher air pressure while on road.

A portable air compressor is on the list of (many) things to purchase so I can air down on the trail and not have to drive home on deflated tires.

Another dude I wheel with has had Nitto Terra Grapplers for a year and half at 50 psi with absolutely no wear problems...in fact they have quite a bit of tread left.

I'm sure 32 psi feels much, much better on the road however.
    Shove it.

10. #35 Re: TOTM: March - Tires 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeptech01 View Post
    285 75 16 Treadwrights:

Fairly quiet (hum at hwy speed)
    Wearing extremely well so far
    MT tread
    Look pretty cool too
    Havent wheeled with them yet ;(
    An actual 33" tire measuring in at 33.2"
    BFG carcass
    Quote Originally Posted by ZJ_Cowboy View Post
    31x10.50x15 Treadwright
    Old MTR tread
    BFG A/T carcass
    20/32" tread depth new
    18/32" with 15,000 miles
    Hum on the highway (No roar)
    Balanced out better then normal MTRs and BFGs
    Work well in mud/woody trails/sand
    Not to much rock crawling here in MI so cant help you there.
    So far good experiences with these? Did you opt too get the kedge grip?

My heeps almost done, and i currently have a decently used set of 32X11.5 BFG AT KO's and they really bring the suck in mud and snow. All they do is load up and spin. I was contemplating getting a set of 31X10.5 Guard dogs. My worry is they are in fact retreads.
    2005 Ford F150 STX 4.6L Auto Daily / Tow Pig
    1996 Jeep GC Laredo 4.0L Auto Mud toy / wrench slut

11. #36 Re: TOTM: March - Tires 
    Quote Originally Posted by FleshEater View Post
    The KM2 says "Max 50 psi"...I just figured these were like normal tires and you run a higher air pressure while on road.

the max psi means if you put them on a 1 ton truck and tow with them, the max you can run safely is 50psi,

lol

12. #37 Re: TOTM: March - Tires 
    Well I dropped them down to 35 last night...they're not on my rig all the time unless I'm hitting the trails so I guess next time I'll see how they run.

I suppose they'd do better in the snow now!
    Shove it.

13. #38 Re: TOTM: March - Tires 
    Quote Originally Posted by 96JGCL View Post
    So far good experiences with these? Did you opt too get the kedge grip?

My heeps almost done, and i currently have a decently used set of 32X11.5 BFG AT KO's and they really bring the suck in mud and snow. All they do is load up and spin. I was contemplating getting a set of 31X10.5 Guard dogs. My worry is they are in fact retreads.
    I didnt get the kedge grip on mine and Im very pleased with them so far. They dont spin at all dry or wet which is surprising to me. The compound they are using is awesome.
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

14. #39 Re: TOTM: March - Tires 
    I ran the Treadwright guard dogs for a couple years on my XJ -- all around nice tires. How they balance, and their suitability for offroad, depends alot on the carcass you select. Mine were on Bridgestone AT carcasses, and I was always a little nervous about sidewall damage. Treadwright will allow you to select your sidewall provided you are willing to wait until they have them, so if I were to do it again I would specify an MTR sidewall... mine were 285/75/16 flavor and measured 33.2" mounted on 16X8 Toyota LC wheels. I would skip the kedge grip stuff -- mine had the crushed walnut shells in the rubber, and yeah, they gripped the road, and then they stayed there leaving a ton of little holes in the rubber. The holes acted a bit like siping so the grip was still good, but I think it decreased the tread life.

I am now back to old-style MTR's on my WJ (305/70/17), which I previously ran on the XJ, and liked other than their loudness. When these wear out I will like go with a Duratrac or similar, as I DD and put a lot of highway miles on my rig. I usually run 28psi in my 33" tires, and am very happy with the affect on treadlife and ride quality on-road.
    Last edited by grin; 03-08-2011 at 03:02 PM.

15. #40 Re: TOTM: March - Tires 
    Senior Member it usually runs fine's Avatar
    Ahhh I've been too lazy to chime in, but heres what I've owned.

235/75/15 bfg a/t- ride on road was excellent and wear was minimal over two years maybe 10% loss. Did well in dirt and rocks until they were wet..NOT a good mud capable tire.

33/12.50/15 Dayton Timberlines M/T- Ride was excellent on road and lasted longer than a street tire, but the reason being was hard tread compound so performance was poor offroad. Looks were a plus with this tire as well.

33/12.50/15- Maxxis Bighorn M/T- All around great tire. Wear is low, grip is great and price is low.

35/12.50/15-Mickey Thompson MTZ- Very expensive, wear down pretty fast, noisy on road, but very soft and do very well offroad-Would buy again.

37/13.50/15 SS IROK- Bad Ass in mud,dirt,rocks,reverse,wet hills and actually do pretty well on road as far as wear and stability, I have the radials.

My next set of tires will probably be the new General Grabber if they ever make a 37" tire.
    Some girls don't like guys like me, but some girls do.

16. #41 Re: TOTM: March - Tires 
    I guess it's my turn.
    First I had a set of 235/75R15 BFGoodrich Commercial T/A's. They wore extremely well, and survived a lot of burn outs. They were on the heep when I got the Jeep from my mom. I had a chance to drive on ice/snow in them and they gripped very well and only had about 15% of the tread left. They were very good in sand.
    Michelin LTX AT 235/75R15 I got these new off craigslist for 50 bucks since they guy who got them had a set of 31's given to him by his wife. These tires were awesome. They wore great, were very quiet on the highway and stuck like glue in the rain. My only gripe is that they are only made in a 31" max. I loved the way they handled in the sand, rocks, and even the mud(el paso has either thick clay or slippery watery clay/sand). I swear I stopped in th middle of a massive hole and still managed to pull out as if the ground was dry.
    Currently im running 3 32x11.5r15 BfGoodrich All Terrains and one 32x11.5R15 BfGoodrich KM2. I had the set but Discount tire had the fourth All terrain on back order since I have real shitty luck with nails. Sand they rock, in the dry rocky dessert they bring the awesome, and in the mud they bring the suck. The KM2, i have in the rear since I'm still 2wd, but I think it might be helping me some. Im able to climb loose rocky hills and lose winding sand climbs as well as guys in their 4wd Jeeps. I like.
    Im looking into getting a set of Gaurd Dawgs next, but I rather stay on 32's.
    Originally Posted by dp96zj
    In short, JU is for mallcrawlers, MC is for people looking for answers.

17. #42 Re: TOTM: March - Tires 
    Dunlop Mud Rovers, 30x9.50 worked pretty well, worn very even, and cost is pretty cheap.
    Hercules Trail Digger M/T 33x12.50, Worked great, pretty quite,pretty good on rocks and not bad in the mud, worked well in the snow, flaten out really well at 10-12 psi, but VERY soft sidewall, cut 1 on my first run and cut 2 more in the next 2 years, Low cost.
    Firestone Destenation M/T, 33x12.50( Actually measure 33") not bad for cost, seem to work pretty well in everything but are as slick as shit on ice, deep tread at start,work better in the mud then my buddy Nitto Mud Grapplers. Very happy so far have plowed them thru lots of shit and rocks and have held up very well, would recomend them to anyone.
    96 5"lift,44 rear HP30 front, locked all the way, 5.2swap, 9.5 Keeper Winch,33" Firestone Destenation MTs,custom rear bumper,2" trim, and a set of kick ass rockers.

18. #43 Re: TOTM: March - Tires 
    Quote Originally Posted by FleshEater View Post
    (running 50 psi).
    death wish?
    No longer a JeepTech01 fan.

Just boobs.

And biggoofy.

And ELLLLLIOTTTTT................I think..........Yup and ELLLLLIOTTTTT.

19. #44 Re: TOTM: March - Tires 
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy63b View Post
    death wish?

They're at 35 psi now...I've never owned a set of mud terrains and most tires that run that load range and a larger size usually take more than 32 psi to properly wear.
    Shove it.

20. #45 Re: TOTM: March - Tires 
    I am running Maxxis Bighorn Radial M/T's 265/75/R16. Only a couple of months on these tires so far but I have no regrets with them as of yet. They do ride good and are decently quiet on pavement.

I got the 8ply version so they are a bit heavier than the standard 6ply and just a little more expensive. The 6ply cost $125 each (through my work) and the 8ply were $142 each.

Grip has been very good in the off road situations I have been in since I installed these tires. However, none of those situations have been rock or even mud. Mostly sand and clay.

I initially ran 45psi but that was just way too much. I took some advice from someone else as to that pressure due to me being locked front and rear. I was told that high pressure would decrease tire wear when locked.
    That pressure was just too high and I am now at 36psi and the ride is much better. Not sure about that wear issue though.

I was running Goodyear MT/R's and I went through two sets in as many years. They were either way too soft or Aussie lockers do indeed increase wear. I do encounter some scrub when turning slow sharp left turns.

21. #46 Re: TOTM: March - Tires 
    Senior Member MallCrawlin Supporter
    Ok I'll chime in on this one

315/70/15 dunlop mud rover had these on my F150 for over a year and they wore great and cleaned out the florida mud well and had pretty good road manners.

31/10.50/15 Firestone destination A/T I love these tires they do great on the rocks and clay here in NC and are amazing on the road they have amazing wet grip. I have wheel them at about 15 psi and have nicked a side wall so idk just how thick they are but since I DD mine its not a huge deal. They do clean out fairly well and worked great on the florida lime rock and mud.

35/12.50/15 MTR with Kevlar Ill report back in on these here soon.
    Last edited by biggoofy; 03-11-2011 at 04:05 PM.
    93 ZJ long arms, 35's, F/R Long arms, 4.56 gears, and a bunch more
    98 5.9 slate gray 4" lift with stuff (sold)
    96 ZJ Lift, Long arms, 35's and a bunch of other shit! (RIP)
    [ IRONMAN 4X4 FAB ] [ RACELINE WHEELS]

22. #47 Re: TOTM: March - Tires 
    I'm running Maxxis Bighorns in a 33x12.50R15 and love em. Amazing all around tire. I've been impressed with them on rocks, wet dry or muddy. Very good in sand but not that good in the deep gooey mud. They have very tough sidewalls also.

23. #48 Re: TOTM: March - Tires 
    Iroks-

36X13.5X16, Bias Ply, now on my 2nd set. Pretty happy with them, super tough sidewall, never once got a flat or cut or popped bead. Usually run around 12psi(10 in Moab). Hooks up really well around here(southern Alberta, mud/rock/dirt/loose rock). Works REALLY well in the winter on snowy/icy trails. Street driving not so good, have them bead balanced which worked great on the first set but not as good on the 2nd. I don't street drive it so can't really comment about tread wear, my rear axle is also welded.

37X12.X16(radial) Same tread as the bias so worked about the same tread wise. MUCH lighter tire than the bias and molded better at low pressure. Seemed better on the highway. I didn't keep these tires long, 3rd trip out I cut two sidewalls. Sidewalls were VERY thin, cuts VERY easy on wet sharp rocks and had a stick the size of my wrist poked thru another. Was pretty disappointed, I beat the crap out of the bias way worse than the radials. In the end I sold the radials and bought another set of Bias plys.

Truxus MT

33X12.5X15 Bias ply
    I built a rig with my dad and wheeled it while my rig was getting made over. Works very well for around here but never tried it in Moab. Heavy tire with beefy sidewalls, similar to the bias Irok. Was balanced with beads and worked fine on the street. Doesn't see much street use so cann't comment on tread wear. I like to think of them as the street friendly "AT" version of an Irok.

BFG MT

Never had them myself but I know 4 people personally that had them with the "Rim protectors". All 4 sold them after wheeling with them one season after getting contious beads leaks. The "rim protector" bead seems to act as a scoop and force mud/dirt into the bead.
    1998 5.9er, 6" Claytons Long arm, D30(elocker), Rubi D44 rear, TJ Addco rear sway bar, WJ knuckles/brakes, 4.10s, 33s, 9.5ti

'93 ZJ LTD, 5.2L, Claytons Longarm, 8" lift D44 front(w/elocker), D60 rear(welded), 37" IROKS, 5.38s, 9.5ti<scrapped>

24. #49 Re: TOTM: March '11 - Tires 
    I know this is an old thread but...some info to add

31" BFG AT - Wore well on the street and are quiet. They're all-terrains so sucked in rock and mud. Tended to float too much in deep snow.

31 Treadwrights MT (the sticky version with beads of cork I think in it) on Goodyear carcass. Gripped well in the rocks but lots of chunking, good in mud and deep snow, screamed like Cessna at 30mph. Worst tire I ever ran on wet pavement and packed snow, no traction what so ever. I got stuck when I stopped on my driveway pulling into the garage. Wore terribly on the road, chunked bad on the rocks, and dryrotted. I got 15K out of them, suppose to be 30k tires. There is a treadwright dealer here in town and he was not happy with them either. But what do you expect for 500 for all four mounted. You get what you pay for.

265/75/R17 BFG KM2 My favorite so far. Pretty quiet an wear well on street, good on wet pavement and snow pack, Stick decent on the rocks, limited chunking and a few gouges and slices out of the sidewalls (pretty good when compared to how beat up the rims are need bigger tires for 17" rims)
    98 4.0 Grand Cherokee, custom work in progress 4.5", 32's, WJ knuckle conversion, and some bolt ons.

25. #50 Re: TOTM: March '11 - Tires 
    37x12.5r17 procomp XTERRAIN RADIAL. they are awesome on the road, in summer winter rain shine.. have so far good tread life. good offroad on dirt and rocks, as long as you are going forward...... these tires absolutely suck going backwards, in snow they will very quickly dig them selfs down as far as possible. that being said, it might be a good thing for mud or sad where there are hard surfaces underneath. just bad in snow backwards.

forwards not many things have stopped me or caused me to not have traction

31x10r15 bfg at k/o awesome all round tire. would put these on anything, great tread life very durable. and perform very well on the rocks around here. i would put these on my car if they came in that size.

edit: i just looked up to see if they have the bfgs to fit a car.... they dont
    Last edited by canadian_driver; 04-15-2011 at 04:59 PM.
    This person should be taken as seriously as a heart attack while piloting a zeppelin over a bacon factory, which is the most serious of heart attacks, because if that zeppelin crashes into that bacon factory all of us will be without bacon and that simply will not do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Thread Information