Thread: TOTM: Transfer Cases

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #26 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    Just running a 231 with novak shifter right now. No major issues with it yet. Got a d300 waiting for some money to put in. with the 3500's first gear I haven't felt a need for deeper than 2.72:1 low. Heck, I can let the clutch out in third and it will nearly crawl up a stump. Stock 3.73 gears in my 8.8 and d30.
    97 grand cherokee ltd, 5.2, white, many mods of debatable value.

2. #27 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    Got a question for you guys. I was at Advance Adapters a while back pricing an Atlas II and was discussing with the salesman the merits of switching to 1350 u-joints front and rear. He said he would not recommend it because at that point you are moving your weak link to the output shaft of the transmission. This doesn't necessarily make sense to me. It would seem that in high range you're probably not going to break the output shaft without a significant amount more horsepower than I have, and in low range the strain on the output shaft of the transmission will be lower because it is before the reduction gears. What are people's thoughts? Has anyone else heard that by going to a stronger u-joint you are moving you're weak link into the transmission?
    I collect Jeeps.

The Polar Bear Build on Mall Crawlin
    The Polar Bear Detailed Build

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

3. #28 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by downtowncb View Post
    Got a question for you guys. I was at Advance Adapters a while back pricing an Atlas II and was discussing with the salesman the merits of switching to 1350 u-joints front and rear. He said he would not recommend it because at that point you are moving your weak link to the output shaft of the transmission. This doesn't necessarily make sense to me. It would seem that in high range you're probably not going to break the output shaft without a significant amount more horsepower than I have, and in low range the strain on the output shaft of the transmission will be lower because it is before the reduction gears. What are people's thoughts? Has anyone else heard that by going to a stronger u-joint you are moving you're weak link into the transmission?
    With an automatic transmission - who cares. It's very difficult to shockload the output shaft to the point that it'll break.

Of course you're always moving the weak link - but 1350 ujoints doesn't make the transmission output the next weak link unless you're running some SERIOUS axles front and rear.

That said, I ran 1410's and chromo built axle shafts front and rear, beat the crap out of it bouncing off the rev limiter, and never broken anything.

Your mileage might vary, build to your own purposes, but that is a rather large blanket statement.

4. #29 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    the obvious answer is don't run a pansy ass transmission

I think you're mostly right about the location of the reduction although any part can break. i've never believed in purposely introducing a weak link just for the sake of serviceability.

5. #30 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    the obvious answer is don't run a pansy ass transmission

I think you're mostly right about the location of the reduction although any part can break. i've never believed in purposely introducing a weak link just for the sake of serviceability.
    So what, now a 4L60E is a pansy ass transmission to you?! Ass haha

Thanks, you guys just confirmed what I thought.
    I collect Jeeps.

The Polar Bear Build on Mall Crawlin
    The Polar Bear Detailed Build

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

6. #31 Re: TOTM: January - Transfer Cases 
    Ha, I was just talking in general. I'd run a built 4l60 an atlas with my current HP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thread Information